Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Aug-30-17, 13:58
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 216/177.5/156 Male 66
BF:
Progress: 64%
Default A few newbie questions

Sorry, tons of questions. I'm a curious fellow. Answer whatever you like.

Hi! Just got started here (and just put up a post in the introduction thread). Some of these questions are going to be pretty basic, but I guess that it never hurts to ask.

Started a low-carb diet 9 days ago. Lost 6lbs in a week and then flattened and added back 1/2 pound. Yes, it's only been two or three days, but I still get neurotic that I lost only water weight and that somehow low-carb won't work for me (I'm following Atkins induction rules, although I have snuck a few nuts and almonds.). I have been diligent about counting carbs and watching out for hidden carbs. Could somebody...

A) Tell me that I'm nuts (yummm, nuts) and that measuring anything over a two day period, no matter how diligent I am about carbs, is absolutely crazy? And...

B) Tell me that the best place for the scale is probably someplace at the top of the closet where I can't reach it? I've read "Why the scale lies" more than once, but that little #!~$!~# is just sitting in my bathroom, calling my name.

2) Also, is a carb a carb a carb? i.e., is a carb from almonds the same as a carb from yogurt the same as a carb from blackberries? The past week has been pretty rough in terms of diet variety. I've been pretty good about keeping to the induction menu, but have cheated with almonds, a few berries and greek yogurt. I measured everything for an accurate carb count (I'd never measured out 1/4 cup of blackberries before, for instance. I'd just always grabbed a handful.).

3) Good news: After feeling yucky and exhausted for the first few days, I just realized this morning that I was neither exhausted nor yucky (although still a bit achy in the legs). Is that where I should be, or is it just the placebo effect (And if it is the latter, should it matter? Philosophy 101).

Thanks! I'm looking forward to getting to know all of you.

Mike
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Aug-30-17, 16:15

Plan: General Low Carb
Stats: 215/197.2/195 Male 73.5
BF:
Progress: 89%

Mike,

Welcome!

I like having the scale there, as I need to see the weight loss to stay motivated. However, I only get on it when I feel lighter, and definitely not every day....more like every 4 days to a week. If I stick to plan and exercise, I should weigh a bit less every 4 days.

( getting on the scale every day..in weight loss mode...would be maddening....as whether or not you have taken a good dump lately could tip the scale one way or another:-)

I am a newbie, but I do have it working, and I just use the basic rule....if it is meat or vegetable I can eat it, every thing else is out for now (I have reintroduce a small handful of nuts every so often). I don't bother counting carbs because if I follow the above I would have to be overeating badly to break 40 carbs in a day. I kinda need simple, and this is simple.

Again, this is just me talking, for what it is worth
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Aug-30-17, 17:18

Plan: aitkinish
Stats: 172/140/120 Female 5'3
BF:
Progress: 62%

I personally feel counting carbs VERY important and reading labels when I shop is VERY important.
Carbs tend to creep in when you do not expect.
Root Vegetables for example should be avoided. Corn should be avoided.
Just eating meat and vegetables is not going to guarantee weight loss.
A scale is a tool plain and simple..just as a measuring tape.
Many...including me have found even when we are not losing on the scale...we are losing inches.
The scale works for many of us as a motivation....others not so much.
Just my .02 cents.
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Aug-30-17, 19:28

Plan: Low Carb
Stats: 230/165/160 Male 67
BF:
Progress: 93%

Mike,

Your profile sounds a lot like mine, regarding hight/weigh and starting/goal weights. You can get a lot of different opinions, not just here, regarding losing weight, so ultimately you just have to do what makes sense for you and can stick. Here is my take on your questions.

A lot of people say to not use the scale when first starting out. The tape measure is actually a better method of tracking your progress. That being said, before retiring, I spent a lot of time at my job correlating, charting and analyzing data, so it comes natural to me to want to track what I eat and weight loss. While not diabetic, I even watch my blood sugar and compare it to what I have eaten. My point being, I don't think you need to put your scale out of reach unless normal fluctuation in your weight is going to cause distress.

I believe weather a carb is a carb depends on the person. The original version of Atkins 1972 started with basically zero carbs, adding back carbs slowly until you drop out of ketosis, after which you go back to indiction, quickly move back up to the level before the last addition. I have taken that approach, but rather than just adding a number of carbs, I am adding 1 food at a time for a week and looking at my reaction. I am not saying this plan is better than any other, but it has worked for me. I had a lot of success following an informal low carb plan, but after reading Dr. Atkins 1972 book, I feel like I understand the process better, and really kick started the last phase of weight loss.

I can't help you with feeling yucky. Along the way, I assume I was in and out of ketosis, based on carb level, but never experienced the keto flu or achy leg.
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Aug-31-17, 06:56
Registered Member

Stats: 216/177.5/156 Male 66
BF:
Progress: 64%

Thanks all! I'm going to guess that I am not the only yo-yoer here, and we have all had the frustration of having your weight go down huge in the first week, only to be followed by absolutely nothing in the second.

Mike
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Oct-19-18, 13:35

Stats: 252.6/252.6/175 Female 64
BF:
Progress: 0%

Hi Mike,

I am new here and I've not lost at all. I am not quite a week but I have actually went up a pound or so and that is frustrating but I am diabetic and have other issues and on different medications all which cause weight gain.

I have decided to keep at it because other than having a headache the first couple days I feel fantastic!

I think you will do fine with it. Hang in there!

Barb
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Oct-19-18, 16:51

Plan: atkins, carnivore 2023
Stats: 200/211/163 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: -30%

Quote:
Originally Posted by mef623
Thanks all! I'm going to guess that I am not the only yo-yoer here, and we have all had the frustration of having your weight go down huge in the first week, only to be followed by absolutely nothing in the second.

Mike

Yup, mine has yo-yo'd since last spring, but I have kept off most of it. High of 247, and holding around 225. I just keep trying. ANd eventually I find that synergy and the weight drops again. Would like to break 200 this time and will make every effort toward that. But if it doesnt happen, every pound off is a not just a good thing, it is a GREAT thing!!!