Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Feb-20-03, 20:49
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 220/195/145 Female 5'9"
BF:31%
Progress: 33%
Default red raspberries

Tomorrow is my birthday and I was wondering, since I am on day six of induction, would it be alright if I had a half a cup of red raspberries and some two tablespoons of cool whip, would it kill the induction? I am going full bore with the keto stix.. getting moderate readings all the time. I have also lost about ten pounds.
I don't need to have them but.. it would be a nice treat.

red raspberries
serving size - 1 cup
carbs - 14.23
dietary fibre - 8.36

per fitday

cool whip
serving size - two tablespoons
carbs - 2
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Feb-20-03, 21:06
Forum Moderator

Stats: 235/135/135 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 100%

Hi there,

Well, I suppose I should tell you to forget its your birthday and stick to pur Induction food, but as we live in the real world, I won't do that.

If it's a matter of choosing between non LC chocolate cake and raspberries and cream, I'd say go for the raspberries. I would forget the Cool Whip though and use heavy cream with a little Splenda if you feel it need sweetening.

And here's some whipped cream advice from Karen, our resident chef:
Quote:
Here are the instructions on how to stabilize whipped cream so it won't "fall" in the fridge.

Or, you can get a whipped cream bomb. I really like the one made by ISI.

For each cup of cream use 1/2 teaspoon plain gelatin and 1 tablespoon cold water.

Soften gelatin by sprinkling it over cold water and letting it sit for for 5 minutes.

Dissolve by placing it in a container over a small pot of simmering water. Or microwave in 5 second increments until melted.

Whip the cream until barely stiff.

Add melted gelatin all at once to cream during whipping.
Stop whipping when cream forms soft peaks.

Karen

Cheers!

Rosebud
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Feb-20-03, 21:06

Stats: 244/220/170 Female 65.4inches
BF:
Progress: 32%

Atkins Induction has rules. Raspberries are not on Induction. But life happens. And birthdays come. And berries and cream are about the best "treat" choice you could make. (But use real heavy cream and whip it yourself. Cool whip isn't "real" food to me.)

You could treat the meal as a "reward meal" like some of the plans that allow carbier choices. Eat a regular LC meal with the berries at the end and try to keep the eating inside of 60 minutes. Apparently that mitigates the effect of the fruit - if protein & LC veggies & salad are eaten along with it.

But be prepared and DETERMINED to go back to the Induction list on the next meal & day. Also be prepared that the excursion to fruit might cause a few cravings for other carby things on the next day.

Have a Happy Birthday and may you lose another pound tomorrow AND the next day.

#4   ^
Old Thu, Feb-20-03, 22:39
Registered Member

Stats: 220/195/145 Female 5'9"
BF:31%
Progress: 33%

Thanks you guys! (or girls)! I guess I was expecting to be told "NO!!! You can't have any! It will ruin everything." I haven't had too many "cravings", I wasn't a big sugar eater, before (cake ick!) Low blood sugar does that to you. I think I will have a couple of rasperries instead of half a cup and I will put them on my plate with my dinner. Things are going so good for me, I hate to mess it up, but I will miss not having something to stick candles in. Tomorrow night I am going to try some of that bacon cheeseburger cassarole with some cumin. I was looking for a way to make a mexican type meal... mmm! That will be a treat.