Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Jul-03-20, 06:59

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/130/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 129%
Default Dr. Cate on your immune system and Coronavirus

Like many other low carb advocates, it's all about keeping our health in a time of a global pandemic. Dr. Cate has always had the emphasis on the good fats.

The Hateful Eight: Enemy Fats That Destroy Your Health is connected to an appearance she did on the Bill Mahr show.

Which became so popular her books have sold out of several outlets! Good for her.

Quote:
What Can You Do To Strengthen Your Immune System?
Eliminating the high-PUFA seed oils is the NUMBER ONE best thing you can do to help your immune system beat Coronavirus. Here’s why.

Quote:
Friday May 22, 2020, when one of the few in big media willing to talk about the relationship between diet and health like a grown-up, Bill Maher, invited me onto Real-Time to share some truth.

Here are some of the things we discussed.

The virus is not what’s killing most of us under the age of 65. For the elderly, or for those who are otherwise immunocompromised, the sheer viral load can be too much for the body to deal with. But for the rest of us, the real threat is not the virus itself, but the way your body responds.

Most of the folks under 65 who have to be admitted to the ICU are there because their body fat is full of inflammation-promoting high-PUFA seed oils. In other words, if seed oils were removed from the equation, then there would be nobody under 65 in the ICU unless they’ve got a rare immune deficiency disorder or are in the middle of chemo for cancer or have something else very serious that’s going on.

My own experience of ditching all seed oils has been dramatic. I could tell, from my rosacea, that it had a real impact on my inflammation reduction.

With my more recent super-keto-elimination plan, I have been eating always at home, using sour cream instead of hemp oil. And now I don't eat salad, but I do put dressing on my meat.

Also, the gist of the above quote suggests that last year's loss of 40 pounds had more than the obvious benefits. Did this also purge my body of those high-PUFA fats? Am I "burning cleaner fuel" as a result?

Also pertinent:

Quote:
During the interview with Bill Maher, I also made the point that everyone under 65 who had a serious case of corona also has an underlying metabolic condition–whether they know it or not. Even those thin people who’ve written articles about their experience, like Mara Gay, a reporter for the NY Times who looks glowingly healthy.

As fit and beautiful as she appears in the NY Times piece, I’m certain her metabolism is not in good shape. Your metabolism has to be very damaged indeed for it to cause visible signs of poor health. But it doesn’t have to be particularly damaged for it to fail you when the time comes for your immune system to rise to the challenges involved in what may be the ultimate metabolic test: fending off potentially deadly infections.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Jul-03-20, 10:40

Plan: EF/Fung IDM/keto
Stats: 375/225.4/175 Female 66.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 75%

I can totally believe what Dr. Cate says, but I wonder how long it takes to purge your body of the "hateful eight" and other bad stuff. When my son died in August 2018 I totally went off the rails and ate junk and carbs like a madwoman, and I knew it was terrible, but I didn't even care if I lived or died. I was out of control for well over a year - PUFAs, sugars, wheat, junk food. You name it, I ate it.

It wasn't until this fall that I decided, for the sake of my grandchildren at least, that I wanted to live, and began to improve my eating, but it wasn't until the new year that I really got as serious as I should be. I've been super serious since Feb. 20 now and down 37 pounds since then, but I do wonder how long it will be before I heal from all the crap I ate for so long. I'm still pretty convinced that I'll die if I get Covid. She talks about "categorically avoiding vegetable oils for the prior 5 years". - well it sure as hell ain't been five years for me! Only 5 MONTHS.

Of course I'm also one of the "elderly" (over 65).
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Jul-03-20, 12:43

Plan: Keto (Atkins Induction)
Stats: 235/175/185 Male 5' 11"
BF:
Progress: 120%

Congrats on the 37 pounds.

My unprofessional advice is to limit your exposure, wear your mask & gloves when going out, and going out as little as possible. Take all other precautions and hang in there as long as you can.

The longer you can delay your exposure to COVID the more you body will be healed. Also, the longer you delay, the more medical science and practice will know how to control the disease.

Drink lots of clear water too. I suspect it will flush out the hateful 8.

Of course that's all just a non-professional guess.

Bob
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Jul-03-20, 14:04

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merpig
I've been super serious since Feb. 20 now and down 37 pounds

That's a sign something was blocking you, and hopefully is not any more. I have read that high-6 consumption itself can make people gain weight and/or not lose. So staying vigilant about that can only help.

Also, when I started cutting down my own consumption, I felt the results within days. So something good was happening that fast.
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Jul-03-20, 14:11

Plan: very low carb real food
Stats: 245/125/135 Female 62
BF:
Progress: 109%

Debbie - you can only start where you are and you've done that so that's great. You're doing what you can for your health now. Can't do any better than that.
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Jul-03-20, 14:58

Plan: EF/Fung IDM/keto
Stats: 375/225.4/175 Female 66.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 75%

Yes, I'm just doing the best I can, and as Bob says I'm limiting my exposure, going out as little as possible. Yesterday was the first time since March 11 that I was actually "inside" somewhere other than my house and my daughter-in-law's house. I had to go to a gallery to pick up some of my artwork for a "show" that was ending. Haha, I say "show" as we hung the artwork in the gallery early in March, had a lovely reception - and then, the very next DAY the gallery closed due to Covid. So the art has been hanging in the gallery since early March but no one could go inside to see it (though they did put it online).

Anyway, I was quick in and out, grabbed my two paintings and left. Every single person there (and only a few when I was there) were masked and obeying social distancing.

I do agree that the longer I can delay any sort of exposure the better I hope the treatment options will be. Best of all, of course, is not getting it! And I'm still doing well with keto and alternate-day fasting. Best I can do right now.
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Jul-03-20, 16:13

Plan: Atkins DANDR
Stats: 210/194/160 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 32%

Quote:
Originally Posted by WereBear
Like many other low carb advocates, it's all about keeping our health in a time of a global pandemic. Dr. Cate has always had the emphasis on the good fats.

The Hateful Eight: Enemy Fats That Destroy Your Health is connected to an appearance she did on the Bill Mahr show.

Which became so popular her books have sold out of several outlets! Good for her.

My own experience of ditching all seed oils has been dramatic. I could tell, from my rosacea, that it had a real impact on my inflammation reduction.

With my more recent super-keto-elimination plan, I have been eating always at home, using sour cream instead of hemp oil. And now I don't eat salad, but I do put dressing on my meat.

Also, the gist of the above quote suggests that last year's loss of 40 pounds had more than the obvious benefits. Did this also purge my body of those high-PUFA fats? Am I "burning cleaner fuel" as a result?

Also pertinent:

Great article Werebear! I just sent this to all of my friends and relatives. Excellent info written in an interesting format so that I wanted to keep reading more...
  #8   ^
Old Fri, Jul-03-20, 17:57

Plan: Paleoish/Keto
Stats: 225/167/175 Male 71.5 inches
BF:18%
Progress: 116%

Debbie,

Figure 2 of this paper (https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5457499/) shows an average lipid age to be 2 to 2.5 years.
  #9   ^
Old Fri, Jul-03-20, 20:09

Plan: Keto (Atkins Induction)
Stats: 235/175/185 Male 5' 11"
BF:
Progress: 120%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merpig
<...snip...> had to go to a gallery to pick up some of my artwork for a "show" that was ending. Haha, I say "show" as we hung the artwork in the gallery early in March, had a lovely reception - and then, the very next DAY the gallery closed due to Covid. So the art has been hanging in the gallery since early March but no one could go inside to see it (though they did put it online). <...>

I feel your pain.

I make my living playing music. My last gig was March 17. I probably will be unemployed for 7 months than after that perhaps partially employed (one day a week).

But it's better unemployed than under the ground.

Bob
  #10   ^
Old Sat, Jul-04-20, 00:59

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodger
Debbie,

Figure 2 of this paper (https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5457499/) shows an average lipid age to be 2 to 2.5 years.

Thanks Mike! I searched, but neglected to use the phrase "lipid age."