Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > South Beach Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, May-20-04, 23:18

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 268/268/120 Female 60
BF:
Progress: 0%
Default Newbie Questions..

I'll just post a few questions I have. If you are experienced with SBD then please post a reply, or if you are like me and have a question(s) feel free to jump right in.

1. Can you eat things in the first 2 weeks that have a small amount of carbs but no sugar? I noticed things like pre-packaged lettuce (without carrots) has carbs but no sugar also V8. Is this ok?

2. What are some good snacks. I hate roast beef, especially cold and tuna is ok.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, May-21-04, 08:10
Registered Member

Stats: 256/233.6/150 Female 62 inches
BF:50
Progress: 21%

SB is a good carb good fat way of eating as opposed to low or no carb/fat. You do not need to count carbs--just follow the list of foods to enjoy on P1. I am constantly refering to the Good Fats Good Carbs Guide; it was a good investment ($7.99 US) especially when you advance to P2.
Nuts are a good snack as well as raw vegetables; they are crunchy and make you chew which satisfies the "want/need to eat". Other good P1 snacks include: a hard boiled egg, nuts (remember to count them out), roasted chick peas, laughing cow cheese with celery or rolled in turkey slices; string cheese, sugar free jello, yogurt (plain or sugar-free low-fatt or fat-free); sugar free pudding, sugar free fudgesciles, etc.
Read the various threads on this site and you'll find many more snack ideas and tons of helpful information not to mention lots of support.
  #3   ^
Old Fri, May-21-04, 11:37

Stats: 268/268/120 Female 60
BF:
Progress: 0%

so is there a "number" of carbs you are supposed to stay around. I have the good fats good carbs thing, but I guess I was thinking I wasnt supposed to have ANY carbs or sugar during the induction
  #4   ^
Old Fri, May-21-04, 18:07

Plan: TKD - semi low carb
Stats: 260/238/210 Male 76
BF:??%/28%/15%
Progress: 44%

Carbs from leafy green vegetables, tomatoes, most beans have carbs in them but very little and they metabolize slowly. Eat as much as you want all the time. There is no set number of carbs. Avoid foods that are specifically sugar and starchy vegetables like potatoes and carrots.
  #5   ^
Old Sat, May-22-04, 00:24
Registered Member

Plan: South Beach Diet
Stats: 268/261/120 Female 60
BF:
Progress: 5%
Unhappy

what about fat and calorie intake. should i really be watching my fat and calories?

by the way this is AntiGirl
  #6   ^
Old Sat, May-22-04, 09:56
Attitude is a Choice

Plan: No sugar, flour, wheat
Stats: 228.4/209.0/170 Female 5'6"
BF:stl/too/mch
Progress: 33%

I know it may be hard for you to not worry/think about carbs and calories but if you follow the recommended foods list, you shouldn't have any trouble staying within the plan.

The list for phase I is actually quite extensive with many different sources of protein. I thought about it like this, as long as I wasn't having any sugar, flour or starchy veggie, then I could have pretty much whatever I wanted. It worked for me and I am now happily eating mostly phase I and have included some fruit from phase II.

If you don't like roast beef, do you like turkey? Most of all, do you like fish? This plan prefers we eat fish and chicken and lean cuts of meat but not all the time.

Did you get the book? Also the guide that accompanies it is very helpful in learning what you can eat. I prefer to focus on what I can eat rather than what I cannot eat.....keeps me more positive!!!

Hope this helps!!
  #7   ^
Old Sat, May-22-04, 11:25

Plan: TKD - semi low carb
Stats: 260/238/210 Male 76
BF:??%/28%/15%
Progress: 44%

OK - despite what all the diet books say, the end result is CARLORIES matter. Limiting carbs is what helps your body stay full, keep blood sugar normal, and thus reduce calories.

If you are following the SB diet to the letter you should be losing weight. I kept track of calories on www.fitday.com. You can figure out your daily calorie expenditure on there as well but it will most likely be too high.

Stay on Phase 1 until you drop 10 pounds. No wheat products, no fruit, no alcohol. Your meals should have a lean protein, some good oils like olives or nuts, and a big pile of green vegetables. Where I disagree withthe Dr. is milk. You should avoid milk in Phase 1, ff or whole. Also try to minimize beans as well. Lots of starch there. Cheese is OK. Full fat or reduced fat is OK IMO. Saturated fat is not a big health risk if you are reducing your carbs. It is only a risk when you are overindulging everything in your diet.