Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > LC Parenting & Pregnancy
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Jan-22-11, 13:03

Plan: South Beach-esque
Stats: 194/159/140 Female 5'3"
BF:34% / 28% / 20%
Progress: 65%
Default Anyone found fertility improved going from lowish to very low carb?

Just curious if anyone noticed this going from a restricted carb diet to a more restricted carb diet. (I don't mean SAD diet to low carb)
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Jan-23-11, 19:36

Plan: LF/LC
Stats: 254/191.5/150 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 60%

Yes.
I could not conceive without the help of IVF. We tried for 3 years and our 4th IVF before we got pregnant and stayed that way.

This past May, I started Dr. Simeons HCG Diet. Very Low Carb, Very Low calorie. I then went on atkins, but ate mostly protein and fat.

I just found out 2 weeks ago that I am pregnant..on my own. I've been ovulating for a year. I've never done that - I have PCOS.

Very Low Carb definitely helped me. I have no doubt about that.
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Jan-25-11, 07:03

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 252/228/175 Female 66inches
BF:
Progress: 31%

I find that with any weight loss over 10 pounds my cycle regulates. It took a year of ttc to get pregnant with my first. I am not ttc now as I am single but I still pay attention to what's going on with my body. When eating carbs and gaining my cycles were about 45 or more days. Usually when losing I get around 32 days. Hope it stays this way. I would love to have more children in the future---assuming I meet someone.
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Jan-25-11, 11:52
Finding the Pieces

Plan: Mishmash
Stats: 365/308.0/185 Female 66
BF:
Progress: 32%

Fertility will improve with sufficient vitamin D supplementation/status.
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Jan-25-11, 12:55
Registered Member

Plan: Dr Dahlqvist's
Stats: 205/152/160 Male 69
BF:
Progress: 118%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuleikaa
Fertility will improve with sufficient vitamin D supplementation/status.
Not just for women either.
Vitamin D also improves men's testosterone levels and on the basis of the marked expression of Vitamin D Receptor and the Vit D metabolizing enzymes in human testis, ejaculatory tract and mature spermatozoa, we suggest that VD is important for spermatogenesis and maturation of human spermatozoa.

Vitamin D receptor found in human sperm That implies it is set up to expect vitamin d available at the point of conception.

I've heard of women who previously infertile fell for unplanned pregnancy on correction of Vitamin D status, combined with weight loss from a low carb diet so if you're not careful you may be gaining weight for unplanned reasons.
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Jan-27-11, 17:26

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 149.6/143/130 Female 170cm
BF:Stats not updated
Progress: 34%

I was wondering about that - shouldn't fertility improve when carbs are added? Like the body would gain weight in the spring with extra fruit and other nutritious foods abound preparing the body for pregnancy? (I am not talking about SAD or obese women).
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Jan-28-11, 18:05

Plan: LF/LC
Stats: 254/191.5/150 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 60%

Vitamin D? Really? My DH had been on Vitamin D prescription for about a year or so. He had poor morphology - which is one reason we had to do IVF.

If Vitamin D does help sperm, then wow - this makes even more sense!
  #8   ^
Old Fri, Jan-28-11, 19:16

Plan: atkins
Stats: 180/161/125 Female 5'5
BF:29%
Progress: 35%

I'm lc'ing to try and get pregnant. We've been ttc for 18 months. I'm told even a modest decrease in my weight can help. Also if you have an undiagnosed gluten intolerance that can prevent you from absorbing the proper vitamins to get pregnant. I'm on - wait for it - 4000uis of vitamin d. Seriously! There is research that says it decreases your chances of miscarriage too.
  #9   ^
Old Sat, Jan-29-11, 04:12
Registered Member

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellie2
I'm on - wait for it - 4000uis of vitamin d. Seriously!
Absolutely positive. That is the amount women need to be sure there needs are met through pregnancy. and while breastfeeding 6400iu/d may be required to ensure breast milk is fully vitamin d replete for the baby. Remember also this work was done at latitude 32n and you may live further north (less sun)

Quote:
There is research that says it decreases your chances of miscarriage too.
and pre eclampsia and gestational diabetes
  #10   ^
Old Sat, Jan-29-11, 04:30
Registered Member

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ouzogirl
Vitamin D? Really? My DH had been on Vitamin D prescription for about a year or so. He had poor morphology - which is one reason we had to do IVF.
Trouble with prescription vitamin d is that it is NOT the human form. Cholecalciferol is not patentable so no one pays to get it licensed for prescription therefore it's only available over the counter. Ergocalciferol, vitamin d2, the prescription form is not converted to D3 in some people, I've heard from people taking 150,000iu/daily/D2 on prescription and still remaining vitamin d insufficient. Changing to D3 usually means people can manage on a third or less compared with prescription D2. 50,000iu/d3 is available online if you search or follow links on The Vitamin D council website.

Do remember if It takes time to top up your vitamin d tank The time to start supplementing with D3 is probably 3 yrs before you want to plan a pregnancy. Obviously better late than never but it's not a magic bullet that works instantly. Sure after a month of D3 circulating levels will rise but that is like saying we've opened have now got water flowing through the irrigation channels. If the land has been suffering drought for the last 30+ years the fact that water is beginning to flow along the irrigation system does not mean that the whole field and all the topsoil is fully rehydrated. It will take time for the desert to become fertile again. In the same way it takes time for every cell in your body to have it's full complement of D3, (magnesium and omega 3)
  #11   ^
Old Sat, Jan-29-11, 09:29

Plan: atkins
Stats: 180/161/125 Female 5'5
BF:29%
Progress: 35%

Three years????eeek! Well this explains to some degree the masses of women I've met at the fertility clinic I go to that are 30 or younger with unexplained infertility (in Canada).
  #12   ^
Old Tue, Feb-22-11, 03:18

Plan: Paleo/IF
Stats: 165/148/120 Female 164cm
BF:
Progress: 38%

Very interesting topic. I will certainly try vit D experiment.

Probably you can share some other ways to improve fertility as well ?

3 months ago I had laparascopy with ovarian cyst removed and since then TTC without success as of now

So I am somewhat anxious this cyst/surgery could have impaired my fertility status. And looking for the ways to enhance it...
  #13   ^
Old Tue, Feb-22-11, 05:44
Registered Member

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eos
So I am somewhat anxious this cyst/surgery could have impaired my fertility status. And looking for the ways to enhance it...
I've been looking into the role of melatonin recently, not just for it's role in obesity/diabetes/Alzheimer's but generally or blood pressure reduction, bladder control, it's one of those pleiotropic substances that affects almost everything else.

Both for male (sperm quality motility) and female fertility (ovulation) melatonin has a role.

More on melatonin here

More about role of melatonin secretion in digestive system
Quote:
After some 34 years of researching the role of melatonin in the GIT function, I made the following conclusions:
1) At any day or night time, GIT tissues contain at least 40 times more melatonin than the pineal gland.
2) Concentrations of melatonin in the GIT exceed those in plasma by 10 to 100 times.
3) Pineal gland secretes high night-time levels of melatonin, whereas GIT produces the steady basal levels of melatonin released mostly into the blood. Some melatonin may be released into the lumen of the GIT .
4)* Nocturnal elevation of melatonin in blood may serve as a timing signal of the upcoming night. Some pineal-produced melatonin may accumulate in the GIT, particularly in the stomach.
5) Postprandial release of GIT-produced melatonin into the lumen may travel with digesta and may serve as a timing signal for the synchronization of sequential digestive processes.
6)* An increase of melatonin in the GIT during starvation may increase food transit time. This may help to utilize all available resources and detoxify the oxygen free radicals that accumulated in the GIT during starvation.

Finally I concluded that melatonin is, taking all results into an account, a remarkably versatile chemical with a great therapeutic future!
  #14   ^
Old Tue, Feb-22-11, 09:10

Plan: Paleo/IF
Stats: 165/148/120 Female 164cm
BF:
Progress: 38%

Good point here. Made me recall about night-lighting techniques as a way to stimulate ovulation: sleeping during cycle at pitch dark and with a dim light at a few days before and after your estimated ovulation.

Has anyone practiced this?
  #15   ^
Old Tue, Feb-22-11, 09:39
Finding the Pieces

Plan: Mishmash
Stats: 365/308.0/185 Female 66
BF:
Progress: 32%

I would recommend 50,000k/wk of vitamin D3 for 3 months.

I've now had over 10 clients get pregnant after a few months of vitamin D3 supplementation. Both partners were taking 50k/wk of D3.

Some of them had no plans to get pregnant and some were on birth control when they got pregnant.

I now warn my all my clients before putting them on D3 that they should use a barrier method of birth control if they don't want to become pregnant.