Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Jan-03-10, 21:45

Plan: Dr's plan Atkins like
Stats: 237/208/140 Female 5"7'
BF:don't wanna know!
Progress: 30%
Default What do you consider to be a Frankenfood?

Since it has been a while since I have done this, I am wondering what you all consider Frankenfoods?? While in my mind, LC shakes, and bars.. or any LC 'product' for that matter. But I just really want to hear what you all think about this. Thanks

Dee
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Jan-03-10, 21:50
Registered Member

Plan: Zero Carb / Warrior Diet
Stats: 100/100/100 Female 5' 4"
BF:
Progress:

Any LC "product" and any home recipe that attempts to be a fake carbohydrate (i.e. oopsie rolls, LC cake, almond flour flax muffins).

Anything that has more than at most 2 ingredients, unlike actual 'FOODS' (beef, pork, asparagus, sugar free bacon).
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Jan-03-10, 23:42
Gibbers

Plan:
Stats: //
BF:
Progress:

I, personally, do not consider homemade foods frankenfoods.. IMO, frankenfoods are genetically or chemically altered foods that you purchase in the stores such as atkins bars, shakes and other lc or sf products.
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Jan-03-10, 23:49

Plan: Keto IMO Atkins 72 Induct
Stats: 283/229/180 Female 5'3"
BF:mini goal 250, 225
Progress: 52%

Processed, non-whole foods that contain chemicals, etc.: low carb shakes, bars, tortillas, pre-packaged pastries, cookies, cakes, etc.,

It's easier to say what I do not consider "frankenfoods": meats, seafood, cheese, eggs, veggies, fruits, water, tea, butter, cream. Obviously some of this, butter/cream/cheese maybe, contain stuff to help with shelf-life. But in my mind, that is different than the stuff in pre-packaged cookies or in low carb bars/shakes.

I do not consider low carb recipes that mimic high carb recipes to be "frankenfoods" because the low carb recipes use whole foods that are not, in and of themselves, "frankenfoods." Adapting a recipe from high to low carb (subbing in cauliflower for potatoes) is *cooking.* In my opinion, the mimic recipes are not trying to recreate the taste of the high carb dishes but rather, the mimics are trying to recreate the texture and function of the the high carb dishes.
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Jan-04-10, 06:55

Plan: Atkins/lowering cals
Stats: 187/143.6/135 Female 64
BF:35.2/ 20%/20%
Progress: 83%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gypsybyrd
Processed, non-whole foods that contain chemicals, etc.: low carb shakes, bars, tortillas, pre-packaged pastries, cookies, cakes, etc.,

It's easier to say what I do not consider "frankenfoods": meats, seafood, cheese, eggs, veggies, fruits, water, tea, butter, cream. Obviously some of this, butter/cream/cheese maybe, contain stuff to help with shelf-life. But in my mind, that is different than the stuff in pre-packaged cookies or in low carb bars/shakes.

I do not consider low carb recipes that mimic high carb recipes to be "frankenfoods" because the low carb recipes use whole foods that are not, in and of themselves, "frankenfoods." Adapting a recipe from high to low carb (subbing in cauliflower for potatoes) is *cooking.* In my opinion, the mimic recipes are not trying to recreate the taste of the high carb dishes but rather, the mimics are trying to recreate the texture and function of the the high carb dishes.

What she said.
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Jan-04-10, 08:17

Plan: Intuitive eating
Stats: 200/125/- Female 1.62m (5'4")
BF:
Progress: 97%

Quote:
I do not consider low carb recipes that mimic high carb recipes to be "frankenfoods" because the low carb recipes use whole foods that are not, in and of themselves, "frankenfoods."

If they contain artificial sweeteners, then they are frankenfoods.
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Jan-04-10, 09:35

Plan: Atkins ~ DANDR
Stats: 230/230/150 Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:it is going down!
Progress: 0%

And the debate begins! LOL

You have to just determine what works for you, what your willing to let go of, and what you want to happen in the long run. I can tell you, when I first started, I did what I had to do to just stay on plan. As I evolve in this process, I change things to be even a bit more "natural" then what it was before.
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Jan-04-10, 10:00

Plan: Atkins with Paleo/Primal
Stats: 194/162/159 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 91%

Atkins bars and shakes or other processed, chemicals added "lc" foods.
  #9   ^
Old Mon, Jan-04-10, 11:32

Plan: Keto IMO Atkins 72 Induct
Stats: 283/229/180 Female 5'3"
BF:mini goal 250, 225
Progress: 52%

Personally, and in my cooking, I do not consider adding artificial sweeteners to be creating a "frankenfood". However, that's a personal opinion, as others obviously disagree.
  #10   ^
Old Mon, Jan-04-10, 11:51

well the AS is what I am thinking about right now. I don't use it much, really the only AS I have is in some Crystal light, or a diet Pepsi. The last time I was here I tried taking all AS out of my diet, and it changed nothing. I never thought of a oopsie roll as a frankenfood ( not that I have ever made one for that matter) I guess like Sheila said I will have to see what works for me. Thanks for your input!

Dee
  #11   ^
Old Mon, Jan-04-10, 16:11

Plan: Carnivorous / WAPF
Stats: 168/152/145 Male 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 70%

I consider anything chemically altered to be a frankenfood. Protein powders are frankenfoods because they hydrolyzed, which is a chemical process. Artificial sweeteners are in every respect synthetic chemicals. And the list goes on.

Now I truly do not believe that all synthetics are harmful. Most are probably quite tame. The problem is, how do I know which ones are safe? Most people considered margarine "safe" from the thirties all the way until the nineties when evidence to the contrary started becoming widely published. We can speak similarly of glutamate (msg), which curiously is abundant in protein powders, a number of dyes, aspartame, and so on. Wouldn't it be funny if it were determined a hundred years from now that the number one cause of metabolic damage were something like a synthetic B vitamin added to all kinds of packaged foods? I mean if it greatly amplified the negative effects of high carbs for example. The irony of that is that the health conscious are more likely to be burned by that sort of an ingredient. And how do we avoid such a trap? By staying away, as much as possible, from processed foods.
  #12   ^
Old Mon, Jan-04-10, 16:44
Registered Member

Plan: No sugar or starches
Stats: 145/147/140 Female 67
BF:
Progress:

I try to stay away from anything processed, unless i "processed" it by cooking it myself. The only exception i make is cheese. I eat a lot of cheese. Not sure how i have reconciled that in my mind, but it makes sense SOMEHOW.
  #13   ^
Old Mon, Jan-04-10, 16:50

OK so we talk a lot about processed foods, now in my mind Pepperoni is processed. Is that a frankenfood to some?? What about lunch meat?? I know we can go on and on with this... But I really want to know LOL I try to eat whole foods, but sometimes that just is not going to happen, so I am guilty of popping some pepperoni or salami in my mouth... is this going to be the kiss of death for me?

Dee
  #14   ^
Old Mon, Jan-04-10, 17:37
Registered Member

Plan: No sugar or starches
Stats: 145/147/140 Female 67
BF:
Progress:

I don't think they are the kiss of death, but i wouldn't make them a regular part of your diet. Pepperoni and salami contain a lot of salt and preservatives. I just wouldn't eat them every day.
  #15   ^
Old Mon, Jan-04-10, 19:16

Plan: Atkins with Paleo/Primal
Stats: 194/162/159 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 91%

Quote:
Originally Posted by caligirl2
I don't think they are the kiss of death, but i wouldn't make them a regular part of your diet. Pepperoni and salami contain a lot of salt and preservatives. I just wouldn't eat them every day.

Agreed! I think almost everyone makes some sort of compromise with some processed foods. Once in a while is the key. If you're eating nothing but processed, salty nitrate smoked meats, pork rinds, atkins bars by the dozen, drinking diet aspartame soda and every "lc" product on the market, are you really doing Atkins as he intended? No.

But the odd slice of pepperoni, or a lc treat once a week won't kill you either.