Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > Pre-Maintenance & Maintenance
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Mar-01-11, 08:03
Paper beats rock?!?

Plan: Atkins! (Maintenance)
Stats: 178/147.6/145 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 92%
Default Help!

Hi all,

I'm wondering if you have any advice. I've been maintaining for about three years now without problems, then suddenly back in December my weight shot up ten pounds within the space of a week. I was really puzzled but not too alarmed, assuming that somehow the LC treats I'd been eating for the holidays had contained more bad stuff than I'd realized.

So, I spent January and now all of February on induction -- and I have not lost a single pound. I've seriously see-sawed back and forth about .5-.9 pounds for nine weeks now. That means I didn't even see a drop in *water weight*.

What on earth could be going on?

Perhaps important details: 1) I weight lift three times a week; 2) I wonder if this could be hormonal somehow -- this month, for the first time in my life, I had a ten day period, which was really weird. (Although apparently, since I have fibroids, not THAT weird. )
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Mar-01-11, 09:10
Attitude is a Choice

Plan: No sugar, flour, wheat
Stats: 228.4/209.0/170 Female 5'6"
BF:stl/too/mch
Progress: 33%

Wow, +10 lbs in a week without being truly able to account for it is a sign that its time for doctor's appt.

IMO, induction should've given you results by now and being that it hasn't happened is all the more reason to get into to see your doctor for blood work. Maybe even your gyno.

I really hope that you are OK...and that you get this figured out soon.
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Mar-02-11, 22:22
Paper beats rock?!?

BF:

Thanks, Judy. It's super weird. I wonder, too, if it's related to that Vitamin D deficiency I found out about in the fall
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Mar-14-11, 14:16
MAINTAINING ON CALP

Plan: CALP/CAHHP
Stats: 180/125/150 Female 65 in
BF:
Progress: 183%

hi-
I agree with Judy. I'd also want to have my thyroid checked.

I was maintaining for over 5 years when I gained 5 lbs then
another 5 lbs about 6 months later. It ended up that I increased my estrogen by .1 mg (enough, I guess) and the second 5 lbs was related to the pharmacy switching my thyroid from brand name to a generic. Once I caught that it took about 6 months to get the 5 lbs off. It has taught me that hormones are very powerful, and that even a small change can affect weight.
So I hope you figure it out-
E
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Mar-19-11, 22:49
Paper beats rock?!?

BF:

Thanks, Enomarb!

I'll talk to my doc about getting my thyroid checked. It's always in the low end of the normal range, so it never alarms anybody, but... maybe it's dropped a bit more.
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Mar-20-11, 19:56

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 248/243/180 Female 5 ft 9 in
BF:
Progress: 7%

My thyroid is usually in the very low end of normal, but my doctor went ahead and put me on thyroid meds because I was suffering from the symptoms. Some people are just sensitive to even low normal is how he explained it.

Keep us posted and good luck!