Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > TOF's (The Over Fifty's)
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Jul-04-11, 16:21

Plan: South Beach-esque
Stats: 194/159/140 Female 5'3"
BF:34% / 28% / 20%
Progress: 65%
Default Jowls and weight loss

Hi everybody. I'm in my 40s but thought this would be the best place to ask! I was wondering what any of you women have noticed in terms of sagging facial skin with weight loss and whether you get much snap-back and how soon?

I've just gone from about 194 to 179 over the course of a couple months and jowls have really developed along with looser facial skin overall. At this weight my face looks a little heavy as well - not yet getting the benefits of contour!

I have another 15-20 that I'd like to lose and may at that point go for a strong laser peel (which can definitely shrink skin).

Also curious (long shot here) about whether anyone has paired HGH injections with weight loss and come out any better in the facial-appearance realm. Anything else help you get a flattering face back?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Aug-22-11, 15:54

Plan: Paleo/Atkins/low cal
Stats: 232/148/135 Female 62
BF:a lot
Progress: 87%

Wow. This is such a good question. And no one responded... Poop heads. I really wanted to know know some answers to this myself.
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Dec-11-11, 03:49

Plan: my own
Stats: 340/182/175 Male 72"
BF:
Progress: 96%

I've lost 145 pounds in the past 21 months so I know what you mean. I found a few things that have helped me get rid of the turkey neck.

While setting up straight or standing tilt your head back as far as you can, open your mouth, close it slowly while putting your lower lip over your top lip as far as you can, hold it for a count of 5, do 10 reps several times a day.

Another exercise. Get a small ball, about 6 to 8 inches in diameter. Put it under your chin, resting on your chest. Push your chin down on the ball slowly and as far as you can go comfortably. Hold it for a count of 5, do 10 reps several times a day.

Work at it and you'll see a difference.
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Jan-04-12, 17:42
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 239/170/165 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 93%

Thank you I will try those exercises. My 75 yr old aunt credits her firm taut neckline and jaw to sleeping with a rolled towel under her chin!
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Jan-04-12, 17:58
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

I think this is one of those YMMV questions. It's all down to genetics, age and so on. There are some laser treatments, one I think called something like "Thermage" that are supposed to shrink the skin tighter, so it might work.

I'd wait at least a year, though. 2 reasons: 1) you could end up regaining the weight and have wasted the money. 2) it might improve given time.

I've heard that over a certain age a woman has to choose between her ass and her face.
  #6   ^
Old Sat, Jan-07-12, 01:30

Plan: South Beach-esque
Stats: 194/159/140 Female 5'3"
BF:34% / 28% / 20%
Progress: 65%

Thanks all. I'm on round 2 of HCG shots (got about 2 weeks to go, lost about 10 lbs. so far on it over 20+ days). As I lose weight the jowls are getting better... still there but seeing some skin adjust to weight loss... takes a couple to few weeks to catch up ... hopefully will improve further over months. I'll look at Thermage down the road if it doesn't. (Actually read that at times it's now used on legs for cellulite etc.)
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Mar-25-12, 07:47

Plan: Atkins 72
Stats: 157/122.8/120 Female 5' 2"
BF:belly 40.3/8
Progress: 92%

Didn't Jack LaLanne have some facial exercises he used to do? I don't know where you would find them now though.

Also saw ad on tv for exercise device for double chin. I should think that would help with jowl area too.
  #8   ^
Old Sun, Mar-25-12, 12:55

Plan: Concentrate on Protein
Stats: 186.5/136.6/136.0 Female 62"
BF:
Progress: 99%

I'll be 72 this summer and my face has very little wrinkling but my chin sags terribly. I noticed it starting when I turned 40. I want to go to Life Style Lift and get it fixed when I get my weight off. Doctor told me that each 10# would affect my neck so when I get down to 5# over I'll go get an estimate. I have the jowls too and that I didn't used to have. It's become noticeable since I turned 65. My former family doctor lost 40# one summer and he looked awful in the face at first. After a year or so he looked fine and still does. He didn't have anything done to his face---just got his teeth whitened.

Hope this gives you some food for thought. myrt