Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > TOF's (The Over Fifty's)
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Nov-23-06, 11:33

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 132/106/110 Female 63
BF:
Progress:
Default Getting Flak About Being "Too Thin"?

Hi everybody,

I am about to turn 60 and am 5'3" tall, weight is 105 lbs. Yes, I have facial wrinkles, but have had those for a long time Anyway, I'm feeling great about my weight but several of my friends/acquaintances give me a hard time about:

* Did you know that being too thin at OUR age can really show in your face?
* You look emaciated.
* Your weight would be okay if you were younger but...

One of my friends said the first thing after initially telling me that I look great and then asking if I had lost more weight.

Instead of making excuses for my "thinness," I responded that I'd rather have a fit body, the heck with the wrinkles which I have anyway and which don't seem to have gotten any worse).

Well, anywat my point is: I'm getting really ticked at people (most of whom are overweight always trying to lose weight) making me feel funny about losing weight. I was originally 132 pounds before my loss, BTW.

Anyone else identify?

Cazzi
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Nov-23-06, 12:37

Plan: LC/GF/IF
Stats: 237.0/223.6/174.6 Female 5 ft 10 in
BF:42%.
Progress: 21%

I wish I could--but no one's complained that I'm too thin! Maybe one day soon. BTW I am almost 60 myself.
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Nov-25-06, 17:37
Clueless. ODAAT.

Plan: Intuitive Eating
Stats: 290.6/290.6/180 Female 5'10"
BF:I do not care!
Progress: 0%

I have started to catch a little bit of this...and I expect to get more since I hope to lose a few more pounds. My response to those sorts of comments will hopefully be diplomatic, but will more likely involve the 'f' word for those who are too persistent/nosey... IT'S NONE OF THEIR BUSINESS!!!
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Nov-25-06, 17:49

Plan: Kimkins Bootcamp
Stats: 185/145.2/140 Female 70 inches
BF:
Progress: 88%

I get this alot! I live in a different town and have several different friends that I did not have in the years past. Therefore they have not seen the thinner ME. So now they say, you are so thin don't lose anymore weight. Some out of jealousy I know. But then others who just meet me say that I look great.

I know that I look good, but most of all I feel good!!
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Nov-25-06, 17:58

Plan: Paleoish/Keto
Stats: 225/167/175 Male 71.5 inches
BF:18%
Progress: 116%

Welcome to the 60's!

It sounds like those who are criticizing you are just showing some jealousy. When I notice wrinkles in my mirror, I just take my glasses off and the wrinkles disappear.

Stick your tongue out at those who complain.
  #6   ^
Old Sat, Nov-25-06, 18:11
Give chance a chance

Plan: General LC maintenance
Stats: 152.6/115.6/115 Female 60 inches
BF:28%
Progress: 98%

Okay. I'll be the goat. I agree with your friends. Of course I haven't seen what you look like, but I"m older and shorter than you are and I am concerned about how gaunt my face is looking. I look lots older in photos than I did three years and 30 some pounds ago.

My health (as measured by blood pressure and cholesterol stuff) is better, but I look a lot older than I'd like to.

And I think your initial weight was about right for your height and age.

You can't turn back time. Face it.

Kay
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Nov-26-06, 17:00

Plan: LC/GF/IF
Stats: 237.0/223.6/174.6 Female 5 ft 10 in
BF:42%.
Progress: 21%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodger
Welcome to the 60's!
When I notice wrinkles in my mirror, I just take my glasses off and the wrinkles disappear.
My sentiments exactly. I guess that's the only good thing about having to wear glasses!
  #8   ^
Old Sun, Nov-26-06, 17:31

Plan: Stillman's
Stats: 145.2/136/120 Female 159 cm
BF:
Progress: 37%

Hey, you now have an excuse to eat carbs... IN FRONT OF THEM!!!!

sorry... i didn't mean to be mean... lol. It's all about how you feel.
  #9   ^
Old Mon, Nov-27-06, 06:28

Stats: 132/106/110 Female 63
BF:
Progress:

It IS nice having a carb cushion, so to speak Thanks to everyone for your feedback. Love this forum.

Cazzi
  #10   ^
Old Mon, Dec-04-06, 11:53
Registered Member

Stats: 182/176/120 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 10%

Tsk! Aren't people irritating? LOL! Ten years ago, I lost a lot of weight. (It's Baaaackkkk).

People (even my mother, and I was 42) were saying I was too, this, I would just look gaunt as I got older, I was on my way to being anorexic......

Ya know what? I am going to get older. See? Look! I'm 52 now! But why do people think keeping some extra weight on is going to aid you in looking better? Actually, if I *have* to look oder, I'd rather be slim than look *fat* and older.

Hmm--let's see---slim and older----or----fat and older. Let me think......

Jealous, I say. All of 'em.
  #11   ^
Old Tue, Jan-09-07, 14:58

Stats: 280/000/165 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 243%

I am 52, and must admit that after losing 110 pounds I had a lower face/neck lift because I didn't like the chicken neck. Look at my photo gallery to see my before during and after photos.

Now since the surgery people have guessed my age in the 30's. I would say losing 20 years off my age is good results for the surgery.

When I mention that I want to lose another ten+ pounds I get those comments too, like where do you have to lose weight? Wondering what I am not happy with.

I was a size 26 and now fit into a few 8s and mostly 10s. Considering that the average American woman is a size 14 I think i am doing great, and according to the doctors charts I still need to take off that other ten pounds.

By doctors charts a woman of five foot three should weigh 115 pounds on average, unless your bone structure is very small. There is a range with 115 being the average. You may indeed be a little underweight. At 132 you were 17 pounds overweight, and now you are 10 pounds underweight. If you are small framed, then 110 might be just right.

I agree that a lot of this is jealousy. I have not had anything but praise from my friends. The few who are surprised when i say I would like to lose a few more pounds are friends who are bigger than I and are probably projecting,
since I am smaller than they are, I am fine the way I am. I don't let it bother me.

I am in the best shape of my life right now and very happy.
Karen
  #12   ^
Old Tue, Jan-09-07, 15:44
Registered Member

Stats: 175/150/135 Female 5'9
BF:
Progress: 63%

I think they are just jealous Cazzi. Many people reach a certain age and figure..."Why change now? What would be the point?" But you've taken responsibility to get in shape, so if you're happy and healthy, what are a few wrinkles? Everyone gets them eventually.

My nana is 64 (I am 24) and she's been overweight since I was born. She is the kindest woman, I love her to pieces. And I think she is just beautiful. Of course I don't care what she looks like, but I know my mom and her mother make comments on her weight behind her back, saying she should lose some weight. The funny thing is, my mom told me when my Nana was in her 30's, she was always super slim, tall and skinny like a model, but ALWAYS dieting. She never got to eat what she wanted, and was always trying to look good for everyone else. When she became a grandmother, she stopped worrying about it. And I think she's beautiful and fantastic with or without a few extra pounds.

My point is that someone will always have an opinion...whether they think you're too heavy or too thin...or you have too many wrinkles or whatever. How exhausting to try and please everyone! It's how you feel and how you treat others that really counts.
  #13   ^
Old Tue, Jan-09-07, 16:07

Plan: LC
Stats: 157/155/135 Female 5'6
BF:
Progress: 9%

You should compare your BMI's together - that may shut them up. By one chart you're 19.5 - approx. 3 pounds away from the low end of "ideal". It depends on bone structure and probably what chart you're looking at.
  #14   ^
Old Sun, Jul-08-07, 10:42

Plan: <50 carbs per day
Stats: 202/191/145 Female 5'4"
BF:going down
Progress: 19%

I can't believe it but this 4th at a picnic my friends that I see once a month told me that I really only needed to lose 10 more lbs.

HA! They of course don't know how much I weigh or that I plan to lose 43 more lbs.

I think it is politeness in some instances, concern or jealousy in others. WHatever it is I am just happy that someone has noticed. I will deal with it as it comes.
  #15   ^
Old Wed, Jul-11-07, 13:31

Plan: protein power
Stats: 210/210/160 Female 5 feet 11 inches
BF:
Progress:

When I lost a lot of weight previously, people certainly would comment. However, mostly they asked, "Are you ill? Are you OK?".
It was clear this was from concern. It's been my experience that often the people you see who look thinner have a disease or a significant illness.
Anyway, that's been my experience. As others have said, ignore them or you might even say, "Gee, that comment hurts my feelings." Wonder what might happen then.
Keep on going!