Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Introduce Yourself
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Aug-09-18, 20:28

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: 222/220/175 Female 5’8”
BF:
Progress: 4%
Default Hello from Las Vegas

Hi
I’m new here and I’ve never used a forum like this, not sure how😄. I know that sounds impossible but I’m old and only know how to use Twitter and YouTube and Facebook.

My son, 17, is a wrestler & body builder, always telling me I shouldn’t eat carbs. In the old days they taught us that carbs give you energy, haaaa. I have some medical issues, one being severe fatigue. The other day I was busy and didn’t have time to eat. I did a lot of work. By 4:30 I was starving and ate a huge bowl of oatmeal with tiny sugar. I’ve never before experienced such a reaction to any food (probably cuz my eating erratic) but I crashed! I was so tired, agitated, sleepy, depressed, I had indigestion, and started having terrible pain in my joints.

It felt like an allergy. My son showed me a video about Jeto and Caron diets. I learned a lot and still have a lot to learn.

I’m glad to be here. Hello to all of you. Hopefully I’ll learn how to use this. Must go for now cuz not feeling well.
Has anyone heard of Keto flu, or feeling sick from sudden carb decrease?
Thanks
Lunalas
Nancy Luna
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Aug-09-18, 20:29

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: 222/220/175 Female 5’8”
BF:
Progress: 4%

I already screwed up. Typos! I meant Keto diet and carnivore diet. 😁
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Aug-10-18, 05:52

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

Welcome Luna
Good you corrected those diet names, had me stumped as I tried to figure out where spell-check was coming from with those.

A forum is more organized than what you are currently using, and it keeps 15 years of answers. If you enter from this index page: http://forum.lowcarber.org You will see all the topics and what is active. Under the topics can be threads that go back for years...continuity on one topic that you do not get from Twitter or FB.

You can find posts on AutoImmune diseases, Fibro, etc. in Low Carb Health Forums.
The Carnivore diet is controversial so a Zero Carb thread was started in "war zone" in 2016. http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=471960
The Ketogenic Diet name has come into common use, though the Atkins induction phase http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=236482 , Dr. Westman's clinic version of it https://www.dietdoctor.com/se/wp-co...starch_diet.pdf , etc are all "ketogenic diets" so this forum doesn't have a one stop place for it... most very low carb diets are "ketogenic".

This is a great introduction to LC and Keto diets. https://www.dietdoctor.com/low-carb/keto Look under side-effects for Keto Flu and what to do about it. I avoided any keto flu by having two cups of salted bouillon as per the Westman ketogenic plan followed.
But since you ate a big bowl of carbs it could have been reactive hypoglycemia.

Look all around. There are answers to Newbie Questions or read back through some threads on the Atkins or General LC sections.

Be sure to keep notifcations on..you will get a daily email that show posts for any thread you posted on (like this one). The link will take you right back to it..no need to look around the forum.

All the best,

Last edited by JEY100 : Fri, Aug-10-18 at 06:15.
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Aug-10-18, 10:06

Plan: LC/GF
Stats: 208/174/168 Female 5'3
BF:
Progress: 85%

Hi Nancy,

Welcome. Yeah, there is a lot to learn. It is daunting at first. Don’t worry, you’ll get there. You’re “woke” now!

I have been low carb (no grains, only vegetables) a long time. Recently I ate a big piece of cake with buttercream frosting on an empty stomach. About three hours later I had the shakes, I broke into a cold sweat—I felt absolutely awful for several hours. Never again!

Live and learn, eh? Good for you to have realized what oatmeal and sugar can do to you. That’s a good start.

Again, welcome to the family.
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Aug-10-18, 10:15

Plan: LC/GF
Stats: 208/174/168 Female 5'3
BF:
Progress: 85%

Hi again Nancy,

It is normal to feel a little crappy as you detox from the sugars. Drink a little boullion (I never could spell that word, it autocorrected to bourbon, yikes) as Janet suggests, it will help. Just don’t cave to the sugar cravings, this will pass in a couple days, I promise.

Hang in there.
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Aug-12-18, 09:56

Plan: Atkins/KETO/IF
Stats: 370/163/155 Female 65
BF:
Progress: 96%

Hi, Nancy and welcome!
You will find this forum is a great place for information, support, and suggestions for other resources. Personally, I find it helpful to stay mindful of the tremendous improvements in health, energy, mood, and overall well-being. If you have not yet watched the Magic Pill documentary, available on Netflix and elsewhere, I think it is excellent in reinforcing the WHY of eating ketogenically. It shows people of all ages that have achieved dramatic benefits in their health and quality of life by reducing harmful carbs, especially from processed food.
Best wishes on your journey!
Teresa