Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Dr.Bernstein & Diabetes
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

Closed Thread

#1   ^
Old Tue, Feb-26-02, 00:12

Plan: atkins
Stats: 251/228/195 Male 6 feet
BF:
Progress: 41%
Default Diabetes Education

Last week I attended a diabetic education course, and by the end I was almost brainwashed into thinking that a "low fat" diet was the way to go to control your diabetes.

Throughout the whole course the educators (a diabetic nurse, and a dieticion)preached to everyone the only way to keep your blood sugars under control, and preventing complications, was to restrict your intake of fat.

By the end of it al I was totally discusted with the whole thing. When I brought up the subject of the Atkin's, and other protein diets, they said a few words on how" it can control your sugars, but all that protein wil damage your kidneys, and all that fat will raise your cholesterol", they would not have any discussion on it at all.

So in retrospective, they actually agreed with me a LC diet can control your blood sugars. But I guess they were brainwashed too, into thinking that all that fat must be bad for you. So they continue to push a high-carb, low fat diet, with lots of meds, to keep diabetics sick, and the drug companies rich.......(just a thought)

With my own experience being a diabetic, on the conventional diet, I was always hungry, gaining weight, tired, and on a few different kinds of meds. Since on the Atkin's diet, I'm off all my meds but glucophage, full of energy, and feeling great.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Mar-02-02, 12:50
Registered Member

Plan: atkins/blend
Stats: 250/210/150
BF:
Progress: 40%
Default a thought

we went through the same thing when my DH was diagnosed. then we read dr B's book and he said the sugar will kill you a lot faster than the fat. it really made a difference in my hubby's attitude, before that he was struggling to maintain on the traditional diabetic diet, counting portions and being hungry and irritable. now, its easier for him to regulate his blood sugars because he does not have the cravings. take heart, and stick to what you know is right for you. the good thing I have found is the traditional diabetic menus can be easily converted to low carb. best of luck.
Jane
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Mar-04-02, 21:29
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 165/145/130
BF:
Progress: 57%

With all due respect to the low-carb diet, please don't go knocking the low fat diet - it truly is the preferred approach by doctors, dieticians, nutritionists - I know a nutritionist and we've had very lengthy talks about this as we both pondered the low carb vs. low fat issue. I'm the dieter, she's got the knowledge. Anyway, low fat is so important for many, many diseases that are life threatening such as heart disease - and diabetics do tend to have a higher risk for heart disease. So, you really do have to be fair and balanced. If you get your cholesterol checked reguarily and you don't have a problem, then there's no problem! Which is what we all hope for, of course, but as diabetics, if our cholesterol is high, we can be a serious risk for other health problems and let's face it, some low carb recipes are packed with fat and cholesterol. So, since we're al ldifferent, and everyone's body utilizes cholesterol differently, I wouldn't go around and bash the low fat way as you may get someone who really needs to practice that diet to switch and have complications!

Sorry, but I really have done a lot of homework and asked this nutritionist so many questions. She did a low carb diet and lost 60 pounds on it, but now is taught it's more important to go low fat so she really studies up on both. That's where I get all this info and she trieds to keep an open mind about both - I think that's a pretty good idea which is why I'm defending it here...sure don't mean to offend or anything at all, please understand.
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Mar-06-02, 23:51

BF:

Low fat dieting may be the way to go for a select few, and with all due respect, I have also done a lot of research comparing the low fat diet, and the low carb diet, and I will continue to knock the government, and food industry propeganda mill that continuously promotes this generally unhealthy diet. All the doctors, dieticions, & nutritionists who advocate this as the be all end all diet, have been swept away by rhe low fat diet craze. If the "right"ay to go for a diabetic is the low fat diet, then why are so many diabetics than follow this diet religiously, end up with so many complications?

If a low carb diet is so unhealthy because it can contain a high amount of fat, then why would a cardiologist (Dr. Atkins), so readily promote this diet, if it is so bad for the heart. Two of the worst fats for your body are derived from carbs to begin with(trans-fats, & tri-glycerides) The only studies which go against low carbing, were done with small groups, or uncontrolled ones, which hold absolutely no merit with me.

The fact of the matter is that for most people, low fat diets simply do not work. They are difficult to stick to, because you basically starve yourself, you are depriving yourself of fats the body needs, and will satiate your appetite, while not utilizing your own body to burn your fat as fuel.

At one time I was all gung-ho for low fat dieting, ( I actually lost a large amount of weight doing this, but as I look back on it I was always hungry) I got swept up n the low fat fad, but then I came across the Atkin's diet and low carbing, and saw the light.

I'm sorry you don't agree with me, but the bottom line is that a low carb diet is the best diet to control diabetes, and for people looking to lose weight and improve health.
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Mar-07-02, 18:52
Registered Member

Plan: atkins/blend
Stats: 250/210/150
BF:
Progress: 40%
Default more thoughts

sorry starlite, but I am with astinson on this. we have "learned" a lot of propaganda over the years on the low fat way of eating, it used to be four basic food groups..(that was "right" then the pryamid..now that's "right") and yes, it probably is right for some, but good solid reasearch has shown that low carb is the better way for most diabetics. they find that cholesteral is lowered, weight is lost and medications can even be lowered. a "regular" diabetic diet DOES control carbs. a serving is generally recognised at being 15 grams of carbs, a diabetic must count each carb and use that information to calculate exchanges or servings. my DH needs approx 3000 calories a day with no more than 6 carb servings a day 6 times 15 is 90 carbs. now, they also recommend 3-5 veggie servings, 1-2 milks and 3-6 protein servings etc. with the veggie /milk servings that brought the carbs to well over 300 a day. (by the way, a potato, corn, carrots were all considered a starch, not a veggie...guess why?) by simply switching to low carb veggies, and including them in his carb count we were able to lower his total intake to approx 100 a day. at this level he has lost weight, maintained a more even blood sugar level, and has experienced more energy. some diabetic recipes use as much as a tsp of sugar per serving as acceptable, or even chocolate chips etc, while the carb count may be seem reasonable, they forget to mention this can trigger a reaction and will spike sugar levels.
I respect the fact that you have discussed this with a nutritionist and feel she has sound educational information, but they only know what they are taught, and that is the same propaganda we were all taught, fat is bad. while they neglect to mention refined carbs like sugar causes terrible symptoms in children such as learning and behavorial problems, addiction, interupted sleep patterns as well as obesity. you don't eat a piece of cake because of the butter and eggs, we don't eat it because of the carbs, when compared honestly the 2 diets are not so different, they simply approach the issue from different angles. anything in excess is bad, or can be. I know you will keep an open mind and do what is right for you, I am not trying to convert anyone to low carb but low carb as a mainstream way of eatingis not the evil it is projected as, no matter what you may have been told.
Best Jane
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Mar-07-02, 21:59
Registered Member

BF:

Well, my goodness you two - you'd think I attacked the low carb plan or something the way you two went on and on! C'mon here - what do you think I'm in here for!?!?!?! I'm on the diet too, I just don't think it's a good idea to be bashing another diet that can save the lives of others, that's all I'm trying to say.

I don't care for vegetarian dieting, but I'm not going to sit here and slam it if some find it works well for them - why? What would the point be? To get people angry?

I don't work like that. I get no pleasure out of slamming, putting down, getting people all upset and angry; I prefer to respect their choices for themselves and more importantly, if a special diet is what they need to do to remain healthy, who am I to say anything? I leave that to the doctor's.

So chill out here, okay?
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Mar-08-02, 01:54

BF:

All I am trying to say, is that just because a diet is high in fat, does not mean it is bad for your heart and cholesterol.

The only thing I am slamming, and attacking is the medical establishment continually promoting low fat, high carb diets.
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Mar-11-02, 21:22
Registered Member

BF:

Quote:
The only thing I am slamming, and attacking is the medical establishment continually promoting low fat, high carb diets.

Well, that is because it saves lives, literally. It saved my fathers.
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Mar-12-02, 00:03

BF:

From the research I have done, (applying only to diabetics), a low fat high carb diet does not contol blood sugars, keep cholesterol & high blood pressure in check, and prevent complications, that a low carb diet does.
  #10   ^
Old Tue, Mar-12-02, 15:20

Plan: Dr. Atkins
Stats: 220/170/130
BF:
Progress: 56%

Dear Astinson and Starlite:

I just want to add my two cents worth, and this is from my own experience:
After only two weeks of doing lowcarbs--and seeing and FEELING a dramtic difference, I said "Who do I sue?" That's what I felt. I felt that I have been duped from every which direction regarding "low fat". As I ate low fat previously, I generally ate "high sugar". I see that now as I read the labels of foods so carefully, and not just calories (rarely pay attention to that now).

It is HOW are bodies use the fat and use the sugar that matters, not the consumption of it. After a body uses up the carbs it needs to, the rest will turn to sugar. Sugar affects a whole lot of processes in our bodies.

It is easier for my body to process fat--I burn it. The carbs I eat are all used up, very little will turn to sugar.

The bottom line is--how a body works. I think in North America we have been lied to--but I do not think it is intentional for the most part. But you have to admit, as you shop and see the hundreds of "low fat" items--you realize the money that is being made.

I feel I've been deceived and it makes me angry.
Nikegirl
  #11   ^
Old Wed, Mar-13-02, 19:57
Registered Member

BF:

Well, if you made the choice to try low fat, and it didn't work for you, I don't see where you think you can sue. It's like smoking - it's so stupid. If this kind of thing continues, then every person who lost a loved one to a drunk driver should sue the alcohol company of the drink/beer brand the drunk drank! Kind of silly, you see.

Anyway. So then you made a choice to try the low-carb and it's working for you - that's great! Then you found what works for you and that is so fantastic - some people just don't take to any particular diets and have nothing but trouble their entire lives. If I were you, I'd be grateful I found what works and wouldn't worry about what didn't work for me.

Maybe you could answer a question for me, too - why is it some people like yourself enjoy being contentious and argumentative? I mean, why is it so difficult to respect what works for others and leave it be while we in turn, respect what works for you? I don't understand all that squaking and griping all the time....
Sigh.
  #12   ^
Old Wed, Mar-13-02, 20:36

BF:

The only reason I am being argumentative, is to offend close minded people like yourself who blindly follow the advice of anyone who wears a white coat.

Answer me this, if a low fat diet is so healthy, why do the vast majority of people who start the diet, go off it so quickely, and end up gaining more weight?

If you look back to my first post, you will see I was only attacking the low fat diet that diabetics are encouraged to go on. You then attacked me for my views and opinions on it.

The only reason the low fat diet is so "popular", is because a lot of people are making money off of people's fear of fat.

End of discussion
  #13   ^
Old Wed, Mar-13-02, 22:07

Plan: Dr. Atkins
Stats: 220/170/130
BF:
Progress: 56%

Starlite:

Whoa! Two things: one, when I said "Who do I sue?" I was not being serious, that was just something that came to mind, as I felt duped. Secondly, I was not trying to be argumentative, I was sharing what I have found for me. And yes, I am happy it's working for me. Low fat has a place, BUT, one must pay attention to the sugar in the lowfat products. The added sugar makes it taste better since fat was removed.

Your profile says that you are doing Atkins yourself? Is it working for you?

Take care,
Nikegirl
  #14   ^
Old Wed, Mar-13-02, 23:00
Forum Founder

Plan: Atkins/PP/BFL
Stats: 400/223/200 Male 5 ft 11
BF:37%/17%/12%
Progress: 89%

Hi folks,

Please remember, we do not allow "flaming" on our forums. Each point can be represented without name-calling.

Emotional arguments can work for any possible opinion. As a low-carb community, we value research and scientific arguments. If that's not possible, at least avoid name-calling, please.

Wa'il
  #15   ^
Old Wed, Mar-13-02, 23:40

BF:

Sorry about the name calling, did not mean to be offensice. I can get caught up in things I feel passionate about.
Closed Thread