Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Products
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Oct-17-13, 18:13
Registered Member

Plan: wheatbelly variation
Stats: 100/100/100 Female 5.7
BF:
Progress:
Cool Bob's Red Mill Low Carb Baking Mix?

I just ordered Bob's Red Mill Low Carb Baking Mix off Amazon. Four 16 oz bags for $22 & change. The reviews were really good. I looked at some of their other products at a store earlier today... they only low carb thing they had in stock was hazelnut flour, which looked interesting but was over $14!

I know this as a quality brand so I thought I'd give it a shot...

Anyone else try this...?

Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Oct-17-13, 19:20

Plan: Atkins 92
Stats: 227/190/127 Female 65"
BF:
Progress: 37%

I have heard about it - from Martha Stewart of all people. Let me know how it is!
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Oct-17-13, 22:11

Plan: iDukan, Consolidation
Stats: 174/147/147 Female 5'7"
BF: Goal: < 30%
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Net carbs are formulated by subtracting the fiber and sugar amounts...

And sugar? I imagine there isn't much sugar in this mix, but I don't believe it's the normal way to calculate net carbs!
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Oct-18-13, 08:55
Registered Member

BF:
Progress:

It is actually the "sugar alcohol" that you can subtract, here is an explanation of net carbs I found from a Doctor on a Diabetes web site

"The term "net carbs" came about when the "low-carb" food fad began a decade ago and companies were seeking a way to market their products as being low in carbohydrates. A food's total carbohydrate count (in grams) is arrived at by subtracting the grams of protein, fat, moisture, and ash from the food's total weight. What's left is the total carbs. On a nutrition label, the total carb count is required by the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) to include the full amount of grams from sugar alcohols and fiber. However, these carbs have less impact on blood glucose than others because they are only partially converted to glucose, or not at all, by the body. Some food companies started using the term "net carbs" and defined it to mean the total grams of carbohydrate minus the grams of sugar alcohols, fiber, and glycerine. This equation is not entirely accurate, because some of the sugar alcohols and fiber are absorbed by the body. In fact, about half of the grams of sugar alcohols are metabolized to glucose."

and here is the back of the package:
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Oct-18-13, 09:24

Plan: iDukan, Consolidation
Stats: 174/147/147 Female 5'7"
BF: Goal: < 30%
Progress: 100%

So, by definition Bob should only subtract sugar alcohols, but there are no sugar alcohols in the mix, so he is subtracting the cane sugar, 1g. So it should say 'net carbs 8'.

Eating net carb products never worked for me, always threw me out of ketosis. Also, beware, the first ingredient is gluten, many of us have had our bouts with that.

Try coconut flour if you really need that special treat.

Last edited by JoanD'Arc : Fri, Oct-18-13 at 09:41.
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Oct-18-13, 16:54
Registered Member

BF:
Progress:

Thanks, but those are not my issues. From the reviews I read it has been a good choice for some and even the full carb count is not too bad...

I am sure it might not be right for everyone...
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Oct-18-13, 17:55
Registered Member

BF:
Progress:

Also that is "vital wheat gluten" which I just read up on and is mostly protein. Still not good if you are gluten sensitive or have Celiac but not necessarily a bad thing for low carb-ers.
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Oct-21-13, 10:26
Registered Member

BF:
Progress:

Well, I got it and tried out my first experiment! It turned out really well. I made a little "mug muffin" following this recipe! Of course I replaced the almond flour with this, but would like to try the almond flour as well. It made a pretty dense little cake, more muffin the cake really.

I did not have meyer lemon so I used pumpkin spice and a little sf maple syrup to flavor it... I like this cause it such a small amount. This makes two servings, so I had one as a desert last night and just refrigerated the uncooked 2nd one. I just popped in the mirco wave this morning, added about 30 secs cause it was cold and it worked fine!

Have not figured out the exact carb count but I feel safe to say it is 12-15 carbs...max.

yay!

Last edited by cuechick : Mon, Oct-21-13 at 10:33.
  #9   ^
Old Mon, Nov-03-14, 10:15

Plan: Modified Paleo
Stats: 205/189.4/178 Male 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress:

That mug muffin looks awesome!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoanD'Arc
So, by definition Bob should only subtract sugar alcohols, but there are no sugar alcohols in the mix, so he is subtracting the cane sugar, 1g. So it should say 'net carbs 8'.

I'm new to this low carb thing (only started in October), but looking on the Atkins site, total carbs are net carbs minus both fiber and sugar alcohols.

My understanding is that fiber is included in the total carbohydrate count but is not absorbed, therefore it doesn't matter if you are calculating total carbs for dieting purposes.

For Bob's Low Carb Mix, the total carbs are 13 grams, but the amount from fiber is 5 grams. Net carbs for dieting purposes should be 8 grams, as they advertise. The main source for the sugar component of carbs is probably the evaporated cane juice in the ingredients and some sugar from the other components. I guess the evaporated cane juice may make it not acceptable for very strict Paleos.

(I've never tried the Bob's product, but I may try it soon. My concern is that one of the reasons the low-carb diet is working for me is that I haven't found my way to the snack aisle. I was always a major carb abuser--never just one slice of bread or one cookie. Low-carb has eliminated this stuff from my diet and I've lost about 14 pounds since September. I've lost weight before but have never been able to without starving myself and majorly calorie counting. Sticking to the low carb diet is still not easy for me, but it beats the heck out of starvation and keeping a log of everything I eat. I'm afraid, though, if I find something too bread like or cookie like I might even be able to eat over this diet. I guess we'll see...)
  #10   ^
Old Mon, Nov-03-14, 10:40
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

You'd have to stretch the definition of "Modified Paleo" to its limits (and beyond) to encompass that baking mix.

I'd suggest using things like almond meal, coconut flour, lupin flour, or the like before using something with wheat gluten and all those grains.
  #11   ^
Old Tue, Nov-04-14, 10:49

Plan: Modified Paleo
Stats: 205/189.4/178 Male 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress:

Yes. It would be a stretch. (Mega embarrassing.)

I started off on this adventure just going low carb. Eliminating carbs definitely helped, but it seemed as though certain proteins--like seitan--still triggered over eating for me... not as bad as simple carbs but I still felt like eating way past full. It didn't seem to make sense, until I looked up the issue and found that others reported this problem. This led me to a bunch of Paleo sites (Lauren Cordain, Mark Sisson, thepaleodiet.com, and others). So I'm still pretty new to this.

Should have called myself 'easing into paleo' or something like that. I'm on board with most of it, but still like having some of that evil erythritol in my verboten AM coffee. In spite of clear Paleo lapses, what I do is definitely working.

Go figure, I'd pick up on the cane juice and miss all the grain products... a newbie mistake for sure.
  #12   ^
Old Tue, Nov-04-14, 11:25

Plan: Carnivore
Stats: 232.8/210/185 Female 5' 7"
BF:
Progress: 48%

Quote:
Originally Posted by jojoleb
(I've never tried the Bob's product, but I may try it soon. My concern is that one of the reasons the low-carb diet is working for me is that I haven't found my way to the snack aisle. I was always a major carb abuser--never just one slice of bread or one cookie. Low-carb has eliminated this stuff from my diet and I've lost about 14 pounds since September. I've lost weight before but have never been able to without starving myself and majorly calorie counting. Sticking to the low carb diet is still not easy for me, but it beats the heck out of starvation and keeping a log of everything I eat. I'm afraid, though, if I find something too bread like or cookie like I might even be able to eat over this diet. I guess we'll see...)

I started about the same time as you and have lost the same amount. I agree 100% with your thoughts. I'm not going near a processed carb. I'm finding this to be fairly easy but I BELIEVE 100% that it's because I am so careful about what I eat. I think if I was finding ways to circumvent the system (ie...lc bread, etc) I would be struggling and even be falling off the wagon by now. I'm not judging those who can do it, I just know from previous experience that I can't and I wanted to reinforce your thought process. You have to guard your success carefully. I know I'm always one cheat away from gaining another 75 lbs. Been there, done that....