Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Products
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Jun-06-14, 10:22

Plan: Low Carb/High Fat
Stats: 271/262.6/170 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 8%
Question What do you think about Wheat Free Market Foods, LLC's products?

I discovered that the Wheat Belly WOE has their own products now for sale, on their website.

https://www.wheatfreemarket.com/

Just wondering what you guys think? Is anyone buying their products? I guess it is just as bad as Atkins and all of those Atkins bars and shakes: I have always refused to buy into those items, I feel it is just a gimmicky way for the company to make more money off of people who don't know how to cook, claim they have no time, are ill-prepared for meals, or just want a quick easy solution to being prepared...

I haven't had much of a chance to look over the wheat free market stuff yet, but I see they DO list ingredients, so I'm hoping to find some ideas on how to use those ingredients to put my own 'products' together here at home, using THEIR ideas.

For example, one of their granolas has the following ingredients, and I feel I can certainly replicate this at home, rather than buying it from them: Ingredients: Almonds, Sunflower Seeds, Pumpkin Seeds, Chicory Root Fiber, Organic Unsweetened Coconut Chips, Raisins, Organic Golden Flax Seeds, Walnuts, Organic Coconut Oil, Organic Unsweetened Applesauce (with Ascorbic Acid), Sweetener (Erythritol, Monk Fruit Extract), Pure Vanilla, Pistachios, Orange Extract, Cinnamon, Allspice, Pink Himalayan Salt

(Surprised they do include sugary things like raisins and applesauce, and monk fruit extract!) Which makes me really question the value of these products.

Another cookie they offer is this, and I can try to replicate this at home also:

Shortbread Cookies
Net Carbs per Cookie: 1

Ingredients: Almond Flour, Butter, Sweetener (Erythritol, Monk Fruit Extract), Vanilla Extract, Pink Himalayan Salt, Rosemary Extract, Green Tea Extract

So what do you guys think? Are these products good to buy and consume? Or is this just another example of a company trying to increase financial gain?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Jun-06-14, 10:34
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Molly B
I guess it is just as bad as Atkins and all of those Atkins bars and shakes: I have always refused to buy into those items, I feel it is just a gimmicky way for the company to make more money off of people who don't know how to cook, claim they have no time, are ill-prepared for meals, or just want a quick easy solution to being prepared...

Read the ingredients. There's no comparison to the Atkins stuff. Personally I wouldn't buy it because I can make this stuff myself, but the sort of ingredients they're using are very compatible with how I eat.

What company isn't out to improve its financial gain? That's sort of what companies do. However, I think they're doing it with honest intentions of making food products compatible with the "Wheat Belly" philosophy.
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Jun-06-14, 10:37

Plan: Low Carb/High Fat
Stats: 271/262.6/170 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 8%

I'm a little disappointed they don't offer more items...but maybe soon?

I guess I really didn't notice how little they do offer, and I posted my question without noticing. I get so excited when I find there is something like a possible pizza crust mix I can actually eat! But then I see I have the ingredients right here at home--almond flour, flax, herbs, etc.

Sort of shocked they have a blueberry mix and the ingredients say sugar. HMMMMmm makes ya wonder!
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Jun-06-14, 11:39
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

It probably is just because unsweetened dried fruit is incredibly difficult to find. :\
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Jun-06-14, 11:42

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

Have not tried them, rarely use bread subs and can make own, but the company was founded with Dr. Davis's approval of every recipe. Put the name into his blog search and you will likely find those articles of who they are, their mission, etc. And yes, they just had their first anniversary…slowly and carefully developing a product line, manufacturing sources, distribution, etc.
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Jun-06-14, 18:12

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 00/00/00 Female 00
BF:
Progress:

I wouldn't buy them myself because I'm not really seeking out those types of foods. But I often read posts on Dr. Davis's site, and I think I get where he's coming from. A lot of people feel very depressed when they think they need to give up bread, pancakes, bakery items, etc. if they want to go wheat-free. So knowing that they can easily turn to alternative products for these foods helps them make the transition. Some people really need to latch onto that and it's better than continuing to eat wheat and other grains that are harming their health.

I wish I could get my mom to go wheat-free, she just doesn't want to give up the foods she's so used to having. If I lived in the same city and could cook for her, I'd offer her good-tasting muffins, pancakes, etc. made without wheat -- and I think she'd at least be willing to try it.
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Jun-06-14, 18:33

Plan: Keto (Atkins Induction)
Stats: 235/175/185 Male 5' 11"
BF:
Progress: 120%

No wheat and low carb are not necessarily the same thing. I avoid raisins and dried fruit of all kinds, as drying concentrates the sugars and sugar is one thing I tend to avoid.

In other words....

I'd be careful about what I'd buy from there.

YMMV

Bob
  #8   ^
Old Sat, Oct-18-14, 11:20

Plan: Wheat Belly
Stats: 253/175/175 Male 72
BF:
Progress:

Hi, I am the founder of Wheat-Free Market Foods. I understand people are "suspicious" of food products. But we were formed for the sole purpose of making Wheat Belly compliant foods. I had discovered WB and had incredible results, and was disappointed that there were almost ZERO products out there! So here we are. While we do have some fruit in our granola and muffin mix, and our chocolate chips have sugar, we don't "add" sugar to anything and all of our products are meant to be low-carb on a net carb basis. (You can subtract out the fiber and any sugar alcohols.)

And like any food, you can choose to make it yourself at home. We are just offering some convenience to make staying on this lifestyle a little easier. For instance, we were having pizza at home about once a week, and finally my wife said, "can't you guys do a pre-mix? It'd be so much easier." So we launched it!

Anyway, we support YOUR CHOICE in food. That's really the point. We are just an option for people following specific way of eating.

Thanks!
Gary
  #9   ^
Old Sun, Oct-19-14, 08:26

Plan: Keto (Atkins Induction)
Stats: 235/175/185 Male 5' 11"
BF:
Progress: 120%

I wouldn't have mentioned the sugar except for the fact that this a low carb forum, and for most of us, sugar is a no-no.

Good luck on your venture, I wish you great success.

Bob
  #10   ^
Old Sun, Oct-19-14, 18:00

Plan: Wheat Belly
Stats: 253/175/175 Male 72
BF:
Progress:

Thanks! So far so good!