Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Products
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Sep-10-05, 15:55

Plan: 80/20 Low Carb Paleo
Stats: 250/190/145 Female 63 in
BF:
Progress: 57%
Lightbulb Homemade pasta with Carbquick or Carbalose?

I have been convinced by all you lovely people to try Carbquick (winter is coming and I HAVE to have my chicken-n-dumplings) however as I was searching on Netrition.com I noticed another product produced by the same company that does Carbquick. It is called Carbalose and it a flour substitution product (does not have the baking powder or fat that Carbquick has). I was wondering if anyone had made homemade pasta with it or anyting else for that matter?

I have both a bread machine and a pasta machine that neither have seen much action since my low carb days. I was thinking the Carbalose might make really good homemade pasta, especially if I add a “little” semolina and egg to the batch to get the right taste…I have my last two boxes of Dreamfields and am trying to wonder just exactly what I am going to do for my yearly batch of Jewish penicillin (chicken noodle soup) that just does not taste the same without the noodles. Right now I use Dreamfields linguini broken in small pieces, but after reading all the negative reviews about the product I am thinking about not using it anymore since it does not sound reliable, Also I really do not want to use Shirataki noodles for this recipe. I love those type of noodles for Asian cuisine, but it sort of falls flat for my chicken soup and spaghetti dishes.

Anyone tried homemade pasta with this flour product?

Last edited by kelrivas : Sat, Sep-10-05 at 16:04. Reason: sorry made a mistake and I needed to fix it :)
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Sep-10-05, 22:20

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 140/125/125 Female 5 2
BF:33/25/20
Progress: 100%

Great Idea!!

I passed it on, last year to Vancouvers, Low Carb Baker (not sure if Bryan Runge is still around - he got a sample of the flour and never did get around to use it). I don't buy into the Dreamsfields carb claims. But I do just love the Shirataki, and was quite pleased with the consistency of the noodle (I made alfredo sauce and it passed the Italian test).

I too have a pasta machine. I would give it a try sometimes into the future when things are very, very quite on the homefront (2 kids, 2 jobs and a Thesis to finish). Maybe next summer. But I would likely never make it due to the time consumption. But I am interested!!
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Sep-11-05, 18:14
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 303/262/150 Female 53
BF:
Progress:

i have made it withthe carbalose, with egg water and oil, be sure to roll very very thin, but i thought they were pretty good.
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Sep-18-05, 11:52
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Wow! I didn't know Carbalose was available! That's fantastic!
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Sep-09-12, 17:48

Plan: God's Will Be Done
Stats: 306/189/162 Female 5'7
BF:Morris Chestnut
Progress: 81%

this is a really old thread, but i'm wondering if anybody to date has been successful in making good pasta with carbquik?
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Feb-04-15, 07:44

Plan: just eating low in carbs.
Stats: 222/205/125 Female 5'5
BF:
Progress:

found this, hope it helps. I have not made it myself but im going to try it this weekend.
Carbquik Recipe: Wonton Skins

Ingredients:

1 1/2 cups sifted Carbquik
3 egg yolks
2 whole eggs
1 teaspoon corn starch

Instructions:

In a food processor place the sifted Carbquik and corn starch. Add the egg yolks and whole eggs. Pulse food processor to mix the dough. Continue to pulse until the dough forms a ball around the blade.
Divide the dough into 4 balls and begin rolling the dough in all directions until the dough is very thin. Let this sit and dry about 30 minutes. Cut the dough into wonton size skins, or at his point you can also cut this into pasta noodles or sheets. Let the cut dough dry over night. Use as required.

This recipe contributed by: Chef Gregory Pryor
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Feb-08-15, 18:27

Plan: Very Low Carb
Stats: 312/235/185 Male 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 61%

So carbquick does contain gluten and wheat --is that right? I'd like to try it but I'm trying to stay away from gluten right now.

Last edited by Whited : Sun, Feb-08-15 at 21:04.
  #8   ^
Old Sun, Feb-08-15, 18:37
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Yes. Stay away from it. :-) Try cooking with lupin flour, almond flour, flax meal, etc.