Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Countdowns, Buddies & Challenges
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

Closed Thread

#271   ^
Old Sat, Jan-07-23, 15:10

Plan: General LC
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 90%

Hey pals!

Happy Saturday!

It is getting late in the day and the sun is coming through the back rear windows of the DE house with the most beautiful golden light. Just lovely.

It has been another good day. I finished my first book of the year 2023 and it was very good! I seldom give a book 5 stars but I did for this one. It is called True Biz. Quite unlike any book I have read before.

I still have a ton of reading to do. That is my focus for the next few days. Just holing up and reading. Good winter activity!

No decisions yet for DS24. He still has a handful of schools he hasn't heard from yet including Duke, Univ of Chicago and Harvard, as well as a couple of others I don't remember. Plus other financial info to be revealed in the next few months.

Jaz, I haven't heard of Spectrum. Why did you go with them? Cheaper? We have Verizon for phones. Costly but works pretty consistently just about anywhere.

Hope your day went okay!

Trig, I agree, groceries are just awful anymore. I remind myself to be grateful bc while I don't like it, I can afford the changes. I worry for people who can't. Eggs and things like that used to be fairly cheap sources of protein. Cheap proteins are terribly hard to find and buy anymore.

Super sorry that your knee is acting up. Sucks!

Lori, IMO fasting isn't worth doing if you are white knuckling your way through. You know the rhythms of your body at this point so well.

See you all tomorrow!
Sponsored Links
  #272   ^
Old Sat, Jan-07-23, 15:41

Plan: KETOVORE
Stats: 234/179/155 Female 5'5
BF:
Progress: 70%

Spent most of my afternoon on beach! The sun was full and blue skies! Temps 63ish... leggings, tee, jacket, flip flops.

Pup decided to run full throttle and chase a seagull straight into the ocean. He got fully wet before he decided, not for him cold water- so out he comes and then ROLLS in the sand! oh yea
Bath time when I got home! HAHAHAH

Nic- I love you are reading, and feet propped up kinda day! LOVE IT
How long are you staying? What are you cooking these days?

I am "home" now and had left over burger, and deviled eggs. Watching the final episode of Megan and Harry. I know I know- trash TV. But I have always been so captivated by the royals. I just can't fathom that lifestyle.

Wish I had tomorrow off. Time for a lite wine and winding down.

SPECTRUM- They are big here in the south. They use the Verision towers. It was the verision towers that are down. I used them because I had them for both TV and internet and bundled. They are OK- it isn't them. I have found out EVERYONE on the island that uses those towers are STILL without calls in or out.

You know what- today has been perfect- undisturbed!

Feet up- later gators!
  #273   ^
Old Sun, Jan-08-23, 05:40

BF:

Good Morning!

Post alert: Sorry- all about me in this one! LOLOLOLOL - personals after ya'll post. I was last and first to post.

I gotta serve "the man" today. Not happy. I love my two days off. Oh well, this gig is not forever! Remember I said I would not complain............

I have to make this a fast post but there is something I wanted to share.

I read this article about this gal with severe gut pain and bloating and GI "issues". I battle this alot. I do think most of it is stress induced. However, some of it may not be. I was referred to the Cleaveland Clinic FODMAP diet in this article. So, for kicks and grins I went there.

To summarize- I am pretty much on the "elimination" diet anyway. However, not only have I hit a stall, but the gut symptoms are back. I chalked it up to work.
Well- garlic and onion powder, and chili powder I use in EVERYTHING. I buy garlic powder in bulk. I did not know that garlic and onion are some of the "top offenders" for those that have IBS. Who knew? I knew that it is zero carb and taste good. The more I have taken out of my diet the more garlic I add to my meats. Hummmmmmmmmmmm Hummmmmmmm

Doing some sleuthing here. Not everyone is affected by garlic and garlic powder. However, people with IBS are. BINGO. The article also included Dairy, highly processed, sugar, and wheat. I don't eat any of that anyway, EXCEPT BACON. Highly processed meat.
Hummmmmmmmm

So in light of this new information. I am going spice free and bacon free for at least 2-3 weeks and see if I don't feel better.
You know, believe it or not I have never looked into a FODMAP Diet that is designed to be effective for people with IBS and gut issues. The light bulb never went off with spices to me. After all it is just spices, not even a "food"
It seems so simple, yet now it is glaring. I garlic everything. This is going to be easier than it was giving up dairy as it has no additive qualities like Casin does.

Just when I thought I "got this" I learn something else that is a positive thing to know about my body. A doctor would have handed me a pill.

Soooooooooo This pot roast I made dowsed heavy in garlic and onion powder and chili powder too will hit the freezer.
I just would love to feel "normal". I am better though. ALOT better being on Carnivore.

Speaking of- I just dropped another 2. Two more to go before I hit the 70's. Then just 20 more after that. Ever so slowly. I just can't fathom an extra 53 pounds on this body frame. No wonder I was SO tired all the time. DANG!
I am really feeling the difference in how I move too. I really can't wait to hit goal.

Ok ladies - off I go. 8 hours. I work tomorrow too and then Tue. Off. So don't dig that.

Next weekend is going to be a rough eating. My mom wants to GO OUT every night. She just doesn't listen to what I want. I know she thinks she is being helpful. She also thinks my gut issues are all in my head. I am just not going there in this post.
Sighhhhhhhhhhh

Time for coffee and head out.
  #274   ^
Old Sun, Jan-08-23, 06:16

Plan: Zero Carb!
Stats: 234/182/170 Female 68
BF:
Progress: 81%

Lori, ok you got contracts with Dr and I assume there 'are time limits' on everything he can do and your time limits to help you guys of course, well just hit the lawyer and see what 'can be done' now ya know. Like 'let's get this moving' cause with MIL's big farm sale it took forever cause it was kinda set up like yours, the guy could spec work and 'do some work' etc. but he had to pay MIL a money to do this during that time the sale wasn't done but he wanted access. So best of luck moving all that forward but damn girl, it gets old real fast and I feel ya on that too!!

Nicco, ok no decisions for DS yet but darn if he don't have a ton of options but I bet something is jumping out at him more power to him for going into that future that seems very shiney for him!! Cool. I had to check your True Biz book and reading ONLY the tiny bit of info sounds good. I remember a very old movie, Childrens Hour with Audrey Hepburn....hmmm....it was very exciting and risky movie for the time on a girl's academy and teacher interaction

Jazz, spices come into play. you are walking what I walked. I had to dump darn near spice but do ok on a 'few I bought' from Spices Inc. No sugar, and ingredients that are super basic and can only 'use small shake' but that small shake is a blast of flavor once we are 'so clean' in eating.

go slow. figure out what works and won't and that is key to your zc future and better health again.

stress. yea. biggie on guts we know that but those darn spices truly can be a factor.

don't worry on momma and eating out. you eat a steak before ya go. simple as that. then you order a nice scallop appetizer or something and nibble on clean food ya know. or a lb. of peel/eat shrimp as your dinner as they order whatever. you got this covered.

------------rainy day. still gotta do rv cause I didn't do enough the other day. kinda like blah here

all good tho. knee improving. just watching how I walk. Need it better faster.

just a cruise whatever day. got me 2 giant thick pork chops first meal. after don't care. family is annoying heck outta me on food. can't wait for school!! and hubby back to full on work he wants to do. get them out of my hair and off the food factor

be good all
  #275   ^
Old Sun, Jan-08-23, 07:41

Plan: LC calorie counting
Stats: 223/157.8/145 Female 68 inches
BF:
Progress: 84%

Good Morning!

Another day of nothing. A workout and football on TV......Exciting, right? We're getting take out for dinner. I'm sick of thinking about food.

--------

Jaz.....Quite a shake up of your eating plan. I'm sorry you have such trouble. I'm lucky in that nothing really effects me that way. I'll be anxious to hear if cutting the spices helps your issues.

Trig....Hope that knee continues to improve. I'm sure you're ready to have DH & DD out of the house for a bit. There is something to be said for alone time for sure.

Nic......Hope you're enjoying your DE time and enjoying your reading. Any neighborhood get togethers this week?

---------

DH just left to visit Betty and get her breakfast. I made her scrambled eggs and he'll make her toast when he gets there. He'll reheat the eggs in her microwave while he gets her toast and juice. I hold my breath every morning when he goes......so afraid he's going to walk in to her being "gone" and I'll get that phone call. We know we're going to have to deal with that situation sooner rather than later.

I'm trying to figure out what I want to eat this morning. I'll wait until something "strikes" me and then I'll whip it up.

Have good days!
  #276   ^
Old Sun, Jan-08-23, 11:58

BF:

Hey folks!

Settling in to watch football. I think we will be playing our third string quarterback since we are already in the playoffs, but I'll have it playing anyway while I do other things.

Lori- I so relate to feeling sick of thinking about food. I'm not in that place now but I was firmly in that place a week ago. I could have cried I was so tired of thinking about it!

Trig, glad your knee is improving a little at a time. My back is still not up to 100% and that was back on Dec 22nd. It is annoying when your knee can go out so easily and on such a small move like that.

WHEN does DD go back to school? Tomorrow? I do not even understand why her school is out for so long?? Seems like there would be a lot of learning loss when kids are out that long.

Jaz- I hope you have landed on something that eases your gut issues. I have definitely heard of FODMAP but I've not investigated it for myself.

I am glad you got to have a beach day!

You asked about food. I have the following for the week (Made or planned)-

chicken veg soup (thighs, some veg)
chef-type salad
crab cakes
Big Mac salad
leftover garlic parm wings

Just hanging out today, like I said. Bella is my little buddy for the week. She has gotten into such a good groove. She knows the routine and knows that she gets a couple of walks, but I also let her out the side door and she knows to go potty and come right back in. She is very trainable.

Everyone make it a great day!
  #277   ^
Old Mon, Jan-09-23, 05:01

BF:

Lori. hope you have a great day. I find it easiest to kinda just wait til some food hits ya (when on low carb before) funny but on zc I can easily plan my 2 meals with ease now.

Nicco. cool Bella is doing so well.
knee tad better and sorry your back is still wonky. Bad is that thought, hmm, IF I DO that one thing to make it worse LOL but all we can do is let it heal up and go on.

I gotta work on that financial aid stuff. Kiddo wanted to control paperwork and I knew it wouldn't go down correctly so now I gotta fix it all...ugh.

Jazz, what's shakin?

--------------simple day. rainy type misty foggy icky.
at 8 am kiddo has teeth cleaning. then take her to school right after. then I gotta hit the store for some things MIL needs in her facility. then home to keep doing rv. I am moving SO SLOW on doing anything. Kinda in the I don't care about anything I have to get done mode. Gotta snap outta that

defrosting chicken. feed family something chicken later and I will fry up and add a touch of alfredo sauce on mine. got burgers if more food wanted.

I made a mini meatloaf the other day. Just shaped burger. Did not add my 1 or 2 eggs into the mix. Ya know....I missed that egg. the texture was wrong ya know. that egg binds. stupid egg and I realize I want that egg in my mini meatloaf HAHA

over and out, be good all
  #278   ^
Old Mon, Jan-09-23, 05:17

BF:

Monday -
Just another manic Monday- wish it was Sunday, that my fun day- Remember that song??!?! Every day is Manic Monday when I have to be there by 730.

Nic- Goodness you sound content! Wowsa on letting Bella out and she comes right back. If I did that with Ruger- I would be chasing his butt down the street. Glad you can though!

Do you get to the beach much? Is it too cold up there?
So when does DS have to make a choice? He certainly has options at this point. Is he going to be sad to leave NYC? I bet he could go back after school if he wants. It strikes me as a place for younger people.

Trig- ughhhh on spices. I hear ya. I too do not buy "mixed" spices. They are one at a time. But I didn't know that garlic and onion are top gut agonizers.
It is so weird that the cleaner I eat, the less I tolerate "garbage". It just doesn't work.

You aren't getting this sunshine we have had the last 3 days? Stellar out. But later in the week we have showers to move in.

I too am curious as to why kiddo not in school. WOW long break!

Is your knee acting up related to when you fell UP THE STEPS? LOLOLOL - that takes talent. I shouldn't laugh but you and I would be fighting it out for the klutz award!

Peel and eat shrimp are a great option! I am going to have to scope out where we go. Not to mention all the $$$
goodness.

How is YOUR eating going? Are you at goal? You eat the cleanest on here. IT is amazing how good one feels on BBBE.
You got me wanting an omelet, but I would want a slice of cheese in it! no no

Lori
- Your pic was super sweet. That is one spoiled looking fur baby. She looks like she rules!

I feel ya on the fear of getting "that call" regarding Betty. Do you know who you would call when that happens? I would think it would be her doctor who will take it from there. Such a sad situation. I guess it is what she wanted, but dang- so sad.

Speaking of, did you all give the dear doctor a move or move on line in the sand? That situation would irk me, how long that is dragging out. I like stuff neat and tied up.

I know what you mean "over thinking about food". I am almost there too. It is irritating to constantly be thinking about the cooking it and clean up.
However, I like to make up food for a few days and eat on that. Like meatballs, soup, egg casserole, rotisserie chicken. I am all about easy these days.
---------------------------------------------------------------

Worked yesterday, and today. I am off tomorrow. I saw that my manager has me on the schedule to work now every other weekend until I leave. That SUCKS.
However, I got the vibe that I the extension is a maybe, not a done deal. He just hired two more people so the business need might not be there.

I will tell you though IF and I do mean IF I get that offer, he is going to have to take every other weekend off the table. Not doing it. I have 9 weeks to go. Time to start looking again.

I know though in March I am taking the week off after this assignment. I need to go back to see my doctor, see my kids, and stop in and see my mom and then a few days to myself, and get settled for NEXT.

Menu: Burger patties clean, shrimp, hard boiled eggs. I will eat it in two parts, taking in the shrimp and egg for a "lunch", beef after work and kitchen closed.

Tomorrow- Ribs in the oven

That is as far as I have gotten.

OK- hard stop yet again time is running ahead of me! Need to pour a cup and out the door!
Just another manic Monday!
  #279   ^
Old Mon, Jan-09-23, 05:57

BF:

Jazz the cleaner you eat the more you then 'dump' and when you do 'have some spice' or touch of this or that in your food you 'feel what the body thinks of it real fast'.

so many people think wrongly that zc makes us less tolerable to foods, but it is the reverse. All it is showing us is longer and longer we eat clean, when we add back in anything, the body will react badly or be fine with it. that is what an all in elimination menu is all about.

so you hold in there. I have to eat cleaner now cause I walked my path on what will work for me and what doesn't.....so hold strong and keep on going.

Sushine comes tomorrow for us for 2 days then cloudy again and more chilly but heck we are in Jan and Feb/Mar ain't no good picnic either
  #280   ^
Old Mon, Jan-09-23, 07:08

BF:

Good Morning!

DH got up with Gabby at 5:30 and I stayed in for an extra hour. I'm just enjoying some coffee and then I'll bundle up and go out to head to Betty's to meet "M". I have to run to the laundromat with some of Betty's laundry today too. Exciting day......not.

I've been doing well getting my daily workouts in. There's really no excuse since they are only about 25 minutes long. Not difficult, but I can feel the muscle tone and balance benefits.

Sorry no personals this morning. I have to get my head wrapped around my day.

Later!

Last edited by Lori_:) : Mon, Jan-09-23 at 12:18.
  #281   ^
Old Tue, Jan-10-23, 04:41

BF:

Good Morning!

Woke up wide awake at 4:30. Ok then. Long day full of nothing. I may run to Aldi and browse around. Funny how it's been here for a few years and I never thought I liked it. Just had to get used to it, I guess. We haven't gotten anything that we haven't liked so far. I haven't tried their fresh meat as I usually go to the butcher shop for that.

------------

Jaz......Hope your day off Tuesday is nice. How is the weather? It will seem weird to you to have a day off mid week.

Trig.....Did you get your paperwork sorted out? That financial aid stuff must be a nightmare. I don't remember much about it from 20+ years ago when we went thru that.

Nic......Still in DE? I forget when you said you're heading back to MD.

-------------

Well, I think I'm ready to find something to eat. Not sure what.....just something.

Have good days!
  #282   ^
Old Tue, Jan-10-23, 06:15

BF:

Lori glad your Aldi is suiting you so well. My big issue is the darn store is a longer drive for me LOL I so hate shop anymore I go now to the closest and live with their rules and limited product and prices. I find I can't drive to shop anymore, I just don't wanna ugh

Sounds like you got a good day going. No on paperwork. Me and kid to check it after school later today. a big bleck on that one for me.

Jaz, something to think about on zc. You are 'not newer' now so it is time to 'zone in on what food YOU REQUIRE' ya know. See I know what my next day food needs to be. If I eat lighter leaner cause I am not as hungry in this day, I know the next day needs to be fatty red meat like a steak. ZC people can't eat lighter and lean for long. We must keep that higher fat content available to us. As in, we don't 'run on protein' when we go zc, we run on fat to fuel. So listen to your body on how you might navigate to eat what you need vs. what is on sale or looks good ya know but of course all zc food is good LOL hope that makes sense to ya.

Nicco, where are ya now. DE or home or still dealing with the DS car? Hope that mess is over for ya

-----------simple day. my freezer must have a restock. sales ain't great out there and eating thru my meats for sure. so hit store to check it out and home to do some chores. Chores. Not a 'bad 4 letter word' but falls right into that category for me HA

gotta color my hair today sometime. need a nice uplift on vibrancy of color. got faded having not done it so long but not sure when I done it last but darn I NEED it now LOL

be good all
  #283   ^
Old Tue, Jan-10-23, 07:22

BF:

Good Morning!

I fell asleep around 8 pm last night. I tell ya I am so frekin tired at the end of the day. I didn't even stop to grab my shrimp I took in. I was that slammed. I had 15 new admits that all needed an assessment, 3 discharges that all needed something, and then the people who were just hanging out. I carry about 35 people every day. I walk and walk and walk. I am all over the hospital. I am getting my walking in!

Trig-
I sure get what you mean about clean eating. I think that for so long I wasn't listening to my body. I was so used to feeling like crap because I ate like crap. I thought feeling like crap was normal, until I felt great! Carnivore has rocked my world. Now I need to fine tune it a bit more FOR ME.

I do like a lighter day in there now and again. Totally agree though it is the beef that suits me best! I am finding out I really am not into pork. Not so much. I am getting ever so slowly back into chicken. But it has to be high end chicken, not some Perdue garbage. I have become a food snob! HAHAHAHAH

Yup- nice weather on tap today! Get some sun!!!!

Lori- I am proud of you for doing your works outs!

I like Aldie's! They have some fun things. I like there weekly special isle. Sometimes you can get some cool items for really cheap. I got a weave basket there for 5 bucks. I don't buy any of their canned or frozen food. I have bought the meat and was not a fan. I do like the eggs, and almond milk. I had to go there to get my egg life wraps, but now Harris Teeter and Kroger's carry them. I don't buy fruits or veggies so that is a non issue for me. LOLOLOLOLOL

Nic- Hiya girlie! Where are you?
-----------------------------------------------------------------

I watched the sun come up over the marsh across the street through the mossy trees. Very stunning actually.

Yup- today off. I want to spend it well. Today is going to be a beautiful outdoor day! Warm in the mid to upper 60's and pure sun.
You know I will be on the beach for a good minute! I have a beach chair now- ready to go!

I also need to take a few minutes to clean up a bit. yeah.....
At least tidy up and vacuum some dog hair up! HAHAHA
I will not be able to clean before my mum and her husband come and their new dog.

I also want to fry up some meat patties. I like to drop an egg on top that has a some yolk for "gravy", add some salt and YUM!

Ok- off I go ..........

Great day!
  #284   ^
Old Tue, Jan-10-23, 08:30

BF:

Jazz I am sure you are tired 'real working in a facility' vs any remote home job LOL I feel for ya truly but so happy you truly can jump in between the 2 and be ok!!!

yes on food remember also that cleaner we eat, more we find what zc food suits us. You ARE NOT a food snob LOL I thought I was also and I won't put me in that category anymore, cause I EAT ALL that SUITS me on carnivore and it will never, ever be the same for any of us.

do zc what and how it works for you truly but don't put yourself in any category on 'food anymore' like being a snob on it in that ONLY positive now thoughts on what carnivore food works for you is the key to the whole thing, you found you and all other foods that don't work, eh, don't eat them

we aren't some food critics that write words to make or break a restaurant or people who say this wine is better than that one and can shut down a winery on those merits kinda ya know.....we don't snob out and hurt others, we simple eat to suit our bodies as we each need.

I find US carnivores to be the most actual use of food on the planet as a good thing and I now say, let all others eat what they want with not as much comment on it, cause I do for ME. ME alone.

you will find your way right there too there is a flip when all other foods tune out and you find you don't 'need to think' about your carnivore foods anymore, you found your path------but on days we are 'forced' to eat with others or have to buy for others like my family does the annoyance kick in but hell, now I buy what they want more and think, whatever......no one will take care of you but you and that should always be your food intake focus.
  #285   ^
Old Tue, Jan-10-23, 09:12

BF:

Hey everyone!

I'm not sure what happened yesterday. I swear I am pretty sure I wrote some thing and sent it so maybe it's floating around the Internet somewhere, or else I'm just losing my mind!

Jaz- I have no doubt you're so exhausted. I wonder how many steps you're getting in a day now? I'm assuming Ruger is still doing well staying in the kitchen and not having any accidents or anything. What a good dog!

When exactly is your mom and her husband coming in? And they're bringing their dog? I wonder if their dog will get along with your dog? Also, when is your friend coming – I think sometime in February maybe?

Trig- how is the knee doing? Hopefully you're seeing some improvement every day. These meat prices are so crazy anymore!

Lori- good on you for getting the exercise videos done every day! That's a great way to stay fit and flexible for your next golf season!

•••••••••••••••

Things are fine here. I had a really nice day yesterday. I'm in Delaware, and I went to the Rehobeth art league and looked at a photography exhibit and some paintings. It was a small place, but still very nice to do. Then I went to a thrift store for a little while, then headed back to the Bethany area and walked on the beach. It was an enjoyable day!

I swear, though I am having the hugest feeling of déjà vu. I know I wrote all of this to you guys yesterday! I must've just closed out the window before I hit send, or some thing.

DS 24 got his ninth acceptance yesterday. He is now nine for nine. He got an acceptance to University of Texas at Austin law school. I believe that's a top 10 but I'd have to go back and look. So his streak continues! Still no idea what he'll choose. The choice will largely have to do with where he's getting the most money, and how much their out-of-pocket costs will be. I'm just as interested to find out as all of you!

I just put a call into Cheer Delaware because I haven't heard back from them about my volunteer application. Apparently they lost the worker who goes through those and so the new hire is having to do some catch-up. I'm glad I followed through just to make sure I wasn't falling through the cracks. I will do a brief run into town today. I'm playing bingo tonight and I need to have $10 cash for that. I may walk on the beach some again today because it's nice and sunny even though it's not nearly as warm, as what Jaz has!

Everything else is going fine. Food is on point. I'll probably weigh in around the 15th of the month just to see where things are but I don't really intend on doing anything different so it doesn't much matter.

Make it a great day!
Closed Thread