Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > Pre-Maintenance & Maintenance
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Nov-24-11, 04:07

Plan: Muscle Centric
Stats: 238/153/160 Female 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 109%
Default Question of the Week: As maintainers, how often should we eat?

Quote:
How often should we eat?

Posted By John Briffa On 24 November 2011

I came across an interesting study recently, which assessed the frequency of eating in individuals of ‘normal weight’, or who had lost weight and were maintaining that weight loss, or were ‘overweight’. The number of meals eaten in the day was essentially the same across the groups. However, for snacks it was different: Overall, those of normal weight and those who had lost weight ate more snacks than those deemed overweight. In other words, in this study, increased eating frequency was associated with lower weight. The authors of this study conclude that eating three meals a day with two snacks in between ‘may be important in weight loss maintenance.’

The suggestion here is that more frequent eating can help weight control. This may be the case (as I’ll explain later), but this study most certainly does not prove that. And that’s because it’s epidemiological in nature, and can only tell us that increased frequency of eating is associated with lower weight. The increased snacking may not have caused the lower weight. It might be that naturally heavier individuals are more likely to eschew snacks because they believe this will help them lose weight or reduce the risk of weight gain.

However, having said that, I find in practice that some well-timed snacking on the right sort of food (more on that later) can make a huge difference to someone’s attempts to eat healthily and lose weight or maintain a healthy weight.

For some people the time that elapses between meals is just too long. This is usually more of a problem between lunch and dinner than between breakfast and lunch. Some people can eat lunch at 12.30 and not sit down to dinner until 8.00 or later. By this time hunger can be at such a level that it makes healthy eating almost impossible. Starchy carbs such as bread, pasta and rice are normally the order of the day at this point, perhaps preceded by some unhealthy snacking (e.g. crisps/potato chips) and followed with a none-too-healthy dessert. Also, rampant hunger can drive people to drink more alcohol than they ordinarily would. It’s a mess, isn’t it?

All of these issues can usually be circumvented with a snack of something sustaining in the late afternoon. The snack of choice? I think nuts. Their relatively protein-rich and slow sugar-releasing nature give them real staying power in terms of appetite suppression, in contrast to fruit which tends not to do the job nearly as well. For those who are allergic to nuts, seeds (e.g. pumpkin seeds) are a decent alternative.

However, snacks are not in some way mandatory. If you find you can go from meal to meal without getting unduly hungry, and can eat healthily and easily at meal times without conscious restraint, then snacking is unlikely to add much for you.

Also, be alive to the fact that how often you eat in a day can vary according to appetite – some days you may just need more food or more frequent eating than others.

For most people this comes out at 2 or 3 meals a day with 1-2 snacks a day. There are no hard and fast rules. The important thing is to eat enough of the right foods frequently enough to avoid getting ravenously hungry. This is what makes healthy eating (and weight control for that matter) easy and sustainable.

References:

1. Bachman JL, et al. Eating frequency is higher in weight loss maintainers and normal-weight individuals than in overweight individuals. J Am Diet Asso 2011;111(11):1730-1734

http://www.drbriffa.com/2011/11/24/...-should-we-eat/
As a maintainer, what do you think of Dr Briffa's post and the results of the study?

How often do you eat during the day and do you add in snacks?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Nov-24-11, 04:30

Plan: Muscle Centric
Stats: 238/153/160 Female 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 109%

Interestingly, my eating pattern does seem to be along the lines of the 2 or 3 meals a day with 1-2 snacks a day suggested by Dr Briffa.

I tend to eat two main meals each day, along with a planned snack, or two, as illustrated by my food logs from the weekend:

Friday:
Breakfast: Bacon, fried egg, mushrooms
Dinner: Sage & Parmesan crusted butterflied chicken breast, stir fried broccoli with mushrooms
Snack: Banana & Peanut butter protein shake
Snack: Vegetable bouillon + gelatine

Saturday
Lunch: Tuna Mayo with rocket, baby toms
Dinner: Braised Beef Goulash with Smoked Pimenton, roasted sweet potato and broccoli.
Snack: Apple with peanut butter

Sunday
Late Breakfast: Cheese & mushroom omelette with Cumberland sausages
Dinner: Leftover Goulash with LC Colcannon

This frequency works well for me. There are occasional days though, when I may only have one meal and no snacks. On the other hand, I can't remember the last time I exceeded 2-3 meals + 1-2 snacks in one day.
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Dec-19-11, 20:00

Plan: Maintenance since 6/08
Stats: 250/189/195 Male 70 inches
BF:Not so much.
Progress: 111%

I normally eat once or twice a day. I don't think my eating habits are very good for most maintainers though. Most days I eat once or twice. Some days I don't eat at all. After not eating for a day or so I will spend the next day eating whenever I get the chance, but I drink lots of water and coffee to help control my hunger. I think this is called Intermittent Fasting?
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Dec-19-11, 20:04

Plan: adkins
Stats: 140/122/110 Female 5'0''
BF:
Progress: 60%

I eat when I'm hungrey some days only once and others up to 3 times.
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Jan-02-12, 16:14

Plan: Maintenance
Stats: 208/170.2/170 Male 70 inches
BF:
Progress: 99%

Mmmmm, sometimes I snack all day, sometimes small supper, but I try to eat breakfast, because that greasy food is my favorite. Caveat: I weigh myself every single day. If I'm at the top of my range (rarely) I think about eating a little less, maybe. If I'm at the bottom (rarely) I get a little worried and eat a little more.

Most of the time, I don't worry about it as long as my weight is in range.