Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Schwarzbein Principle
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Mon, Aug-12-02, 15:25

Plan: Whole Foods Since 2/02
Stats: 360.5/174.5/200 Female 68 inches
BF:
Progress: 116%
Default Mistakes (not necessesities) are the mother of invention!

Flamingo, I have some neeeeeews for you..........

I took out the goat cheese and it's date was July 29, 2002, so I figure it's still good (and it was). I put it in the nonstick pan, thinking to myself that this stuff is only gonna melt.

Sure enough, it just melted. And melted and melted and melted and melted. After about 5 minutes, I realized that the cheese was melting away, soon to be a puddle of $4 cheese. And it wasn't thick anymore, but runny in a good way.

So, I poured it into a bowl to save it until I could figure out a way to use this poor mass. (Would make a great vegetable topping!) Well, it was just about lunch time anyway, so I decided to have a chicken breast and spring mix salad with roquefort dressing (I make mine thin by adding cream, as I don't like thick dressings).

Bummer! Not enough of that dressing left. Aha! I looked at that melted blob of goat cheese and looked at that 2 Tablespoons of roquefort........ EUREKA! I poured the roquefort into the goat blob, stirred and tasted........

Deeeeeeeeeelicious!

It was really good, and I was so happy the crispy goat cheese thing didn't work out b/c I've been wanting to start a new dressing. It was a subtle flavor, where the strong goat cheese flavor was tempered by the strong roquefort, making it smooth and cheesy, and not too thick.

BTW, I think the goat cheese you must be using is harder than the chevre soft style, right?
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Mon, Aug-12-02, 18:37
Registered Member

Plan: Schwarzbein
Stats: 160/160/140
BF:
Progress: 0%

can't find freezer paper--tried the back side of waxed...NOT A GOOD IDEA!
  #18   ^
Old Mon, Aug-12-02, 22:38

Plan: Six week Body Makeover
Stats: 251.4/220.4/135 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress: 27%
Default Re: Mistakes (not necessesities) are the mother of invention!

Quote:
Originally posted by TheBetty
(snip)EUREKA! I poured the roquefort into the goat blob, stirred and tasted........

Deeeeeeeeeelicious!

(snip)

Oh boy, Goat Blob Salad Dressing...be still, my heart!
  #19   ^
Old Tue, Aug-13-02, 08:01

Plan: Schwarzbein Principle
Stats: 178/158/145
BF:36%/23.5%/22.5%
Progress: 61%

The Betty:

Well, you are the creative one - nice recovery from your experiment.

The goat cheese I've used is firm. It comes in a half circle shape package and is about an inch thick. Since it isn't real thick, I cut the slices on a diagonal - like a flank steak.

I got the idea from Whole Foods store where the lady was cooking the cheese in an electric fry pan.

Susan
  #20   ^
Old Tue, Aug-13-02, 12:21

Plan: Whole Foods Since 2/02
Stats: 360.5/174.5/200 Female 68 inches
BF:
Progress: 116%

This thread is making my day today. Skyspinner, goat blob dressing sounds like it's a goat PART or something. You have to stick the CHEESE in their somewhere or others will think I'm wacky.

That was so funny, I think I burned 100 calories just laughing to myself.

Flamingo, I will look for this firm goat cheese, so that I won't have to make anymore goat blobs. Sorry, that was just too funny looking back. But it was good, regardless of skyspinner's tauntings , and I plan to make more goat blob dressing with the rest of the cheese that's left today.
  #21   ^
Old Tue, Aug-13-02, 14:41

Plan: Atkins (modified)
Stats: 152/146/130
BF:BMI 26
Default cheese snacks

I tried them baked on parchment paper in the oven, thus far that method provides the best taste and most crunch.
  #22   ^
Old Tue, Aug-13-02, 16:31
Registered Member

Plan: Schwarzbein
Stats: 160/160/140
BF:
Progress: 0%

dizzy: temperature and for how long?
  #23   ^
Old Tue, Aug-13-02, 17:33

Plan: Atkins (modified)
Stats: 152/146/130
BF:BMI 26
Default crispy cheese snacks

carberrys - the temp was 425 and about four to five minutes, until a golden brown and bubbly (not too dark - they get bittter as they get darker). I took the oblong block of sharp cheddar cheese and sliced pieces about 1/4 inch thick. You may get better results with thicker slices. I tried the parmesan (not very good and smells awful) and pepper jack individual slices, but the pepper jack must have more moisture in it and didn't get as crunchy (but had great flavor), the block pepper jack might be crunchier. Good luck!