Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Sep-11-02, 07:31

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 186/174/110
BF:
Progress: 16%
Angry want ice cream, need ice cream!

Who can tell me if I have any ice cream options? They never tell me what the stats are on ice cream at our local ice cream places. Can I have sugar-free ice cream? It does exist. How bad is it in terms of hidden carbs? What about frozen yogurt? That will do just as well for me if it is a better option. Of course, I'm used to the all-or-nothing method, so if you all think it's just better to obstain, I'd like to hear that too.

Thanks everyone!
Cass
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Sep-11-02, 07:58

Plan: AHP&FP
Stats: 197/125/137 Female 5' 6"
BF:42%/22%/21%
Progress: 120%

You need ice cream?

Word of advise here.....if you crave something so badly it becomes an obession, then you are a carbohydrate addict and that particular food source should be banned from your diet.

It is far too easy to go over board on foods we crave. One bite/cheat will lead to another and another and another and pretty soon you aren't even following a diet plan.

If you are still on induction unless the food is listed in the allowable foods list, then you are not permitted it.
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Sep-11-02, 08:32

BF:
Default ouch!

Harsh response, but I know what you are referring to when you say these things. I've low carbed off and on for a few years now, and the only serious cravings I have are for chocolates. (I can always tell if I have triggered an insulin response in my body when all I want for dinner is ring-dings!) I haven't had anything chocolate since I started LCing again, because I know that it might be the begining of the end.

My post was less about cravings and more about options, you know? Heck, it's the end of the season, we are having a major hot spell, and I think some version of ice cream would be a nice treat. Plus I am at a stage where I am testing my body's response to different foods to see what triggers insulin reactions. I am surprised at what I can actually handle in small doses without upsetting the apple cart, for instance, I do better with potatoes than with any type of wheat product. Bread and I do not get along, but an occasional few french fries doesn't head me down that slippery slope to diet destruction.

Cassidy
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Sep-11-02, 08:41

Plan: AHP&FP
Stats: 197/125/137 Female 5' 6"
BF:42%/22%/21%
Progress: 120%

Ah.

Remember when you were a kid and your mom would make popscycles out of kool-aid?

Use unsweetened Kool-aid and use your own sweetener aka splenda and freeze those instead of using milk based products perhaps?

That would be one option for a cold treat. Sorry I sounded harsh in the previous post.
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Sep-11-02, 08:50

BF:
Default thanks!

That's a wonderful idea! And fulfills that kid in me's need for an icy treat.
Many thanks agonycat-
Cassidy
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Sep-11-02, 09:23
Registered Member

Plan: CAD
Stats: 292/263/165
BF:
Progress: 23%

I have a little concoction of my own and it helps my cravings. It might sound a little strange but I thinks its good. Take a few Tbsp of cream cheese, nuke it for 20 seconds. Sprinkle a few tsp of SF jello (cherry or strawberry preferably, tried orange and it wasn't that great) and 3 tbsp of heavy whipping cream. Mix it all together and put in the freezer for a few hours. To me it tastes kinda like frozen strawberry cheese cake, and kinda like ice cream. If your not on induction you should try it.
cya
Shelly
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Sep-11-02, 11:14
Registered Member

Stats: 155/146/140
BF:No Clue
Progress: 60%
Default ? for Cassidy

Tell me what you mean by insulin reactions.
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Sep-11-02, 11:35

BF:

Ready,

I just mean that when I have too many sugars in my body and it triggers a spike in the insulin/cortisol cycle, which leads to cravings and takes you out of ketosis. I personally don't have diabetes, but have noticed that I have a pretty severe sugar imbalance, and have had to remove all forms of sugar, and most carbs from my diet just to start to have normal energy levels.

Before I started LCing, I had no energy, ate alot of sweets and carbs and proteins. I was depressed and tired all the time. The mere act of removing sugar from my eating is making me feel like a normal person again. I am actually having a fasting blood sugar test done soon to rule out any obvious problems, or early signs of diabetes.

Does that answer your question?

Cass
  #9   ^
Old Fri, Sep-20-02, 09:52

Stats: 181/164/150
BF:
Progress: 55%

Shelly's concoction sounds reasonable. Considering Heavy Whipping Cream is okay this may cure a craving. Thank you.
  #10   ^
Old Fri, Sep-20-02, 14:48

Plan: common sense low carb
Stats: 221/190/175 Male 6 feet
BF:27/13/10??
Progress: 67%

there's actually a bunch of fake ice cream recipe's on the atkinscenter.com site. Just do a search for "ice cream"

For example, here's part of the first one that popped up:

6 egg yolks
14 packets sugar substitute
2 cups heavy cream
1 can (13.5 ounces) unsweetened coconut milk
2 teaspoons coconut extract
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 cup shredded unsweetened coconut, lightly toasted

1. In a medium bowl whisk yolks and sugar substitute to combine. In a medium pot, bring heavy cream to a simmer over medium-low heat.
2. Slowly pour one cup cream into yolk mixture, whisking constantly. Pour yolk mixture back into pot. Cook, stirring constantly, until mixture is thick enough to coat the back of a spoon. Remove from heat. Stir in coconut milk, coconut and vanilla extracts. Chill 4 hours.
3. Pour ice cream mix into ice cream maker. Process according to manufacturer's directions. About 5 minutes before ice cream is finished, add the toasted coconut.
  #11   ^
Old Fri, Sep-20-02, 19:58

Stats: 286/261/160 Female 5'8"
BF:BMI43.5%/39.7%/24%
Progress: 20%

This is my secret ice cream recipe - maybe you would like it. Take a cup of boiling water and put it in the blender. Add a package of sugar free jello (any flavor you like) and blend this up. Then, add two 8 ounce packages of cream cheese and blend this up until smooth. Then pour this mixture into a loaf pan and freeze it. It makes four servings that are 4 carbs each. And it is pretty

Good luck!
  #12   ^
Old Sat, Sep-21-02, 20:39

Plan: Atkins for now.
Stats: 135/?/115? Female Short. 5"3
BF:Don't wanna know.
Progress: 15%

Theres a bunch of icecream recipies in the recipie forum... Just gotta search for them.

I went from Icecream to frozen coolwhip and whipcream in the summer..lol
  #13   ^
Old Sun, Sep-22-02, 05:48

Plan: Food Combining
Stats: 220/175/154 Male 5feet5inches
BF:?/27.5%/19.6%
Progress: 68%

Hi!

I buy pots of sour cream (smetana) stir in a teaspoon full of granulated sweetner and eat them.

Maybe it's so long since I had ice-cream I can't remember what it tasted like but it tastes like soft ice-cream to me!

I sometimes add a little pure cocoa powder to make a chocolate version!

Cheers from Belarus.
Robert
  #14   ^
Old Sun, Sep-22-02, 17:44

Plan: Atkins web site
Stats: 138/128/124
BF:
Progress: 71%
Question Jello cream cheese fake ice cream

I've read on the Atkins site that Nutrasweet is a no-no, and all the SF jellos I've seen contain Nutrasweet.

Are you using the Nutrasweet SF jello, or do you know of a brand that uses another sweetner?

Or, is the Nutrasweet not affecting your weight loss?

This recipe sounds too yummy to pass up.
  #15   ^
Old Sun, Sep-22-02, 21:14

Stats: 286/261/160 Female 5'8"
BF:BMI43.5%/39.7%/24%
Progress: 20%

The sugar free jello does contain nutrasweet and a lot of products have aspartane. I try only moderately because I do believe they slow your weight loss down. But to me, it is worth if it helps me on this WOL. Hopefully, they will be making more products with splenda as the demand increases. But in the meantime.................. Good luck to you and I hope your pounds keep melting away!! Cindi