Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > Emotional Issues & Body Image
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Oct-19-08, 17:21

Plan: Atkins ~ DANDR
Stats: 230/230/150 Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:it is going down!
Progress: 0%
Default Spillin the beans

I used to suffer from a non visible form of anorexia ~ meaning I was a heavy anorexic but the habits are the same! I know that obsessive feeling, and well it is back and I have never been more glad. It is that control thing ~ it is just so ... euphoric. Does anyone else get this resolve in them, that no matter what you are goign to get to your goal when you say you are, no matter it seems doable or not? I cant' really put into words what I was trying to share. I guess just pardon my babble.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Oct-23-08, 06:51

Plan: my own/atkins 72ish
Stats: 187/153/137 Female 5'7"
BF:BMI goal<22
Progress: 68%

They call it ED-NOS, or Eating Disorder, Not Otherwise Specified.

Meaning, if you have all the traits of anorexia save being under 18.5 BMI, you get the catch all diagnosis. Plus, people with ED-NOS might be the types that cycle around a bit. Maybe a period of restricting followed by a period of binge eating or bulimia, perhaps settling in with some COE (compulsive over eating).

On one hand it can be exciting and freeing to reenter a restricting phase after being overweight for some time. The determination and control can feel like a relief after out of control eating.

It is a balancing act. I find that low carb eating greatly reduces my urge to binge eat and overeat. So that is good. But weight loss in general often opens the door to obsessive behavior that can lead me to the other end of the spectrum.

If you understand the emotional issues behind it all and still struggle, I know some people have found medication helpful in getting their brain out of that obsessive place.

Anyway, it can be hard. You should be happy and confident and feeling in control as you close in on your goal weight, but when is it too much?

Hope you can find balance!
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Oct-24-08, 07:43

Plan: Atkins ~ DANDR
Stats: 230/230/150 Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:it is going down!
Progress: 0%

I am doing better now. PMS... ontop of restricting carbs ( restricting anything really) just sends me over the edge in my brain.... for now, today is a good day!