Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Beginner/Low Intensity
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, May-17-20, 18:07
POSITIVE☆ENERGY

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 123/456/789 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 50%
Question Lack of Energy During Exercise?

I wanted to vent/ask for input from anyone that has an opinion.

I'm on my 3rd day of Atkins induction (yay me! )

I went on a 30 minute walk outside today and I was fine at first, but maybe 10 minutes after I started, I became completely and utterly exhausted. Like bone tired. I can normally walk for closer to 45 minutes before feeling that level of exhaustion.

I purchased some keto strips, and they are turning a light purple colour. I'm drinking lots of water, and taking all my vitamins.

I've been reading this afternoon about "keto flu", and I'm wondering if it could be that?

Is there some generic thing I need to be doing to increase my energy levels, or should I just sit back and wait/hope for my energy to return to normal in time?

Any help is really appreciated
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, May-18-20, 10:37

Plan: Keto
Stats: 252/172/165 Female 69.25 inches
BF:
Progress: 92%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bodhi Tree
I wanted to vent/ask for input from anyone that has an opinion.

I'm on my 3rd day of Atkins induction (yay me! )

I went on a 30 minute walk outside today and I was fine at first, but maybe 10 minutes after I started, I became completely and utterly exhausted. Like bone tired. I can normally walk for closer to 45 minutes before feeling that level of exhaustion.

I purchased some keto strips, and they are turning a light purple colour. I'm drinking lots of water, and taking all my vitamins.

I've been reading this afternoon about "keto flu", and I'm wondering if it could be that?

Is there some generic thing I need to be doing to increase my energy levels, or should I just sit back and wait/hope for my energy to return to normal in time?

Any help is really appreciated

It is absolutely keto flu, which is nothing more or less than electrolyte imbalance. Those in ketosis shed extra sodium, which once depleted will start leaching your potassium and magnesium. So you need to take in 3,000 to 5,000 mg daily of sodium to top your levels back off. Once sodium is topped off, your body will keep potassium and mag in check as well. So drink salty broth twice daily or drink what I call ketoaid (8-12oz water, water flavoring (like Mio or Crystal Light), 1/4 tsp salt, several shakes of a potassium salt like NoSalt or NuSalt). This will help. It will feel like someone has just turned the lights on in a room you didn't realize has poor lighting.
  #3   ^
Old Mon, May-18-20, 11:13

Plan: P:E=>1 (Q3-22)
Stats: 168/100/82 Male 182cm
BF:
Progress: 79%

Opinion : don’t exercise yet

Generic thing : Wait two weeks. Work on food first
  #4   ^
Old Mon, May-18-20, 11:21
POSITIVE☆ENERGY

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessdamess
So you need to take in 3,000 to 5,000 mg daily of sodium to top your levels back off. Once sodium is topped off, your body will keep potassium and mag in check as well. So drink salty broth twice daily or drink what I call ketoaid (8-12oz water, water flavoring (like Mio or Crystal Light), 1/4 tsp salt, several shakes of a potassium salt like NoSalt or NuSalt). This will help. It will feel like someone has just turned the lights on in a room you didn't realize has poor lighting.

I'm definitely trying this. I'm getting desperate!!!
  #5   ^
Old Mon, May-18-20, 11:28
POSITIVE☆ENERGY

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by thud123
Opinion : don’t exercise yet

Generic thing : Wait two weeks. Work on food first

That sounds like good advice. I just bought an elliptical machine that's supposed to be delivered within the next few weeks, so that works time wise.
I noticed that not only are my energy reserves on empty, but I feel like napping in the afternoon too. So not like me.
I guess I'm just gonna listen to my body and give it whatever it needs. Thanks for your help