Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > Pre-Maintenance & Maintenance
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#31   ^
Old Tue, Feb-10-04, 21:02

Plan: SB
Stats: 165/130/110 Female 5 feet 3.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 64%

Rose-- saw your height, had another thought =) Do people ever tell you're too skinny? How do u respond?

Also, do u think u could post a sample menu or something?...just out of curiosity of how u do it!
Sponsored Links
  #32   ^
Old Wed, Feb-11-04, 09:01

Plan: CAD maintenance
Stats: // Female 63
BF:
Progress: 123%

rose7- thank you for the reassurance, I am not weighing myself more than once a week as I have been eating a lot more food, carbs, and salt than usual plus weight training, so I know I am retaining a ton of water. But I'm pretty sure even though it feels like I am eating tons of food I am not consuming 3500+ calories a day so I'm not worrying anymmore if my clothes feel tighter one day or the next. Just a question, do you work out regularly? Weights or cardio?

trustycat- Hi! I think it's best at this stage when you're playing around with upping food intake/carbs that you don't rely on the scale, cause it can be deceiving and shocking sometimes. I doubt you put on 10 pounds of real weight in such a short period of time; definitely could be bloat or... haha how do I put this... if you've been constipated lately it could be that too. I figured out that I had been having way too much salt and more fiber than I was used to, plus cheese, and that made me pretty bloated. You might want to try acidophilus pills or adding yogurt instead of cheese, that will help stomach problems and bloating. I also found that cream cheese doesn't bother me as much as hard cheeses, cause they are the worst as far as yeast goes. Hope you're feeling better, and don't worry about the scales, you're still mighty thin!
  #33   ^
Old Wed, Feb-11-04, 23:01

Plan: Atkins-Maintenance
Stats: 122/109/110 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 108%
Smile

Hi,
trustycat, I just try to stay away from trans-fats and saturated fat, though many say saturated fat is not bad for you. I think fatty fish is full of omega-3, so keep eating those . Lately I’ve been wondering about eggs– whether it's too high in cholesterol or not. I guess it’s ok if your chol. level isn’t high?
Do you have candida problems? I saw a post today on that and severe bloating. It said that oregano oil helps the bloat. I actually found that I’m more bloated when I eat only protein and fat. Eating carbs(fiber) keeps me regular and gets rid of the bloat. Right now I’m focusing on building muscle and eating healthy. I think I gained a pound of muscle !

believe27. you’re very welcome! I’m happy to hear that you are making effort to go through OWL & maintenance phases. Keep up the weight training . You will look more toned as you build lean muscles. I do pilates 3 times a week and sometimes cardio to release stress . Saw your post in Lily’s journal – aren’t sweet eggs the most wonderful breakfast? I’d have to thank Lily for introducing me to such a delicious meal.

Goodnight!

Rose
  #34   ^
Old Thu, Feb-12-04, 15:00

BF:

believe-- thanks so much, you've made me feel so much better! I hid my scale-- gonna restrict myself to once a week or even less and just go by how my clothes fit and how i feel. I also started lifting free weights 2-3 times a week, just a 3 sets of 10 bicept curls and some other stuff--maybe i can build up later. I think i've been eating too much cheese/fiber/salt too--this bloating is so terrible, but hopefully it'll go away soon!
Rose- what is candida? and congrats on the muscle! i've been wondering about eggs too, but you know, they have so many nutrients and i heard they were actually good for your hair too and its got that vit D (i'm somewhat lactose sensititive so that's imp for me), but what's sweet eggs? always looking for good breakfasts! =)
  #35   ^
Old Fri, Feb-13-04, 19:33

BF:

hi trustycat! scales are eeeevil. plus, scales (even digital ones) don't tell you body composition accurately. someone could be gaining muscle and losing fat. and a skinny flabby person is not as healthy as a person who weighs more b/c they have more muscle. LOL this is what i tell myself every morning as i resist the temptation to step on the scale. free weights are a great way to weight train. and you ahve the right idea aobut working up to higher weights. the machines can be a little intimidating at first, i can't understand some of them, so i only do those when my bf is there to tell me if i'm doing them wrong. i am lifting weights and eating more, so i definitely think my pounds are creeping up but my clothes fit the same. except like you, i find myself getting tummy bloat from lots of cheese and fiber. once your digestive system gets used to it though i think it will be back to normal, but you might want to try those probiotics i was talking about (acidophilus) or some yogurt (with nuts and berries, yum) . oh and the sweet eggs are a yummy cheese and egg dessert type thingy, check Lilygirl's journal for the recipe.

rose- hi! yup i am now addicted to the sweet eggs! i tweak them each time though to experiment with diff. flavors. right now sf jams are my fav topping.

have a good weekend everyone and keep us updated!
  #36   ^
Old Wed, Feb-18-04, 08:27

Plan: Lower Fat/Moderate Carb
Stats: 160/103.5/100 Female 5'2
BF:
Progress: 94%

Hi Girls, I've been out of town for a few days and thought I would check back in. I appreciate all the good tips I'm seeing, and as someone else said before, the activity on the Maintenance Board. Keep it going.

What are sweet eggs?
  #37   ^
Old Wed, Feb-18-04, 12:39

BF:

Hi Anleigh! Glad to see you're back. Hope you had a good vacation. Sweet eggs are a recipe I learned from Lilygirl. They're really good for breakfast or a treat and you can tweak it however you want. I used sugarfree preserves or splenda/cinnamon/almonds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilygirl
Here's how I make "SWEET EGGS"
1. whisk 2 eggs in a bowl (can add a touch of cream, or another egg and a splash of SF Davinci syrup...your choice of flavour).
2. pour in a hot frying pan. Turn to medium.
3. I sometimes sprinkle flax seed meal over the top of it as it's setting.
4. leave it alone until it sets.
5. soften a couple Tbsp. cream cheese
6. add a bit of SF DaVinci syrup (or cinnamon & Splenda, SF jam, anything!)
7. spread over egg "crepe"
8. roll up.
Sometimes I drizzle SF maple syrup on top or sliced almonds, etc. The variations are ENDLESS!! Just have fun with it and you'll never get tired of it. I make it the night before and reheat it in the mornings at work or eat it cold, so it does keep very well.

#38   ^
Old Sun, Feb-29-04, 07:58

Plan: semi low carb
Stats: 103/1015/ Female 66.5
BF:
Progress:

Hi people. Im semi-low carb and im trying to maintain my weight as well. I eat about 1500 calories a day with 40-45% carbs. So I just wanted to introduce myself
Im nearly 18 and im graduating this year so I may be able to relate to most of the things that you college kids are going through.
  #39   ^
Old Sun, Feb-29-04, 11:39

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 180/135/140 Female 5.3
BF:
Progress: 113%

HI there yes there is some others here your age group that will be happy to post with you :>)

Reading your stats, I have to say 103 at 5'6 is very thin ? Is your Dr. and family,fine with that?

Cheers Kathy
  #40   ^
Old Sun, Feb-29-04, 11:49

BF:
Progress:
Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathy54
HI there yes there is some others here your age group that will be happy to post with you :>)

Reading your stats, I have to say 103 at 5'6 is very thin ? Is your Dr. and family,fine with that?

Cheers Kathy

No, they feel I am too thin. But I am fighting an eating disorder and depression so they understand. As long as things don't get too out of hand.
Hey, thanks for the welcome! And i'll chat with anyone it doesnt matter what age group.
  #41   ^
Old Sun, Feb-29-04, 16:27

BF:

angelpaws-- are u using semi-lowcarb to combat the eating disorder or are you trying to gain weight? Do your doctors/family approve of a semi low-carb diet?

Might I suggest starting a journal-- its a great way to get feedback and keep motivated. Eating disorders can be tough, but there are a lot of people in this forum who are/have dealt with them. Congratualtions on high school graduation-- college is even better though, but eating can be a challenge (as in, making sure u don't slip back into the ED, image issues are such a problem on most campuses). If u ever want to chat, click on "journal" at the bottom of this post and drop me a message!
Best,
trustycat
  #42   ^
Old Sun, Feb-29-04, 16:38

Plan: zone
Stats: 155/155/125 Female 68.5
BF:27%/27%/15%
Progress: 0%
Default angelpaws i know depression. . .

Anglepaws Hang in there! you can do it and stay healthy. Media, family, peers, etc. can be so tough and life in general. I went through a really bad spell when i was in college. Sometimes it's so hard to stay positive about things and looking for anything to take control of when you feel you have no control over anything is what makes us feel good even though it might not be good for us.

Are you going to a junior college? What are your plans after highscholl or are just not sure?

I wasn't sure for a long time. It took me awhile to figure out who i am, sometimes i still don't know! : ) oh well i'm working on it. If you ever want to chat with me too just post in my journal too!
  #43   ^
Old Sun, Feb-29-04, 18:02

BF:
Progress:

Hey you guys are so sweet. Thanks for the replies.
I am trying to keep my weight at the same level. Im just using the semi-low carb because It feels better to me. I used to eat about 80% of calories in carbs and it made me feel gross.
I hate my lower body really. My upper body is too small. Somehow ive convinced myself that this low carb diet may help my weight to shift a little. I dont know.
Anyway, Ive been strength training so hopefully I can build up some muscle. I've heard that some of you girls are going to do the same (?).

After high school im going to community college. Going to become a nutritionist (ironic, no?)
Talk to you all soon.
  #44   ^
Old Sun, Feb-29-04, 18:19

Plan: zone
Stats: 155/155/125 Female 68.5
BF:27%/27%/15%
Progress: 0%
Default Not so ironic

if you are like me you are obsessed with it, so what better to do with your life? : )

I was in a program to become a nutritionist at Cal state long beach for a semester. (masters program) the science classes were interesting but i didn't enjoy at all the management of scenior and/or hospital related peoples foods. But maybe you can get through that and become a personal nutritionist. To become a registered dietician you have to do this. i interned at a hospital in the nutrition department for awhile, interesting but not fun.

Well if you want to know anything about programs let me know.

If you are going to lift, one word, don't look at your weight. Go figure out your percent body fat. Go by this instead.

alot of people with ed's have really high percent body fat and low muscle mass therefore really slow metabolism. there lifestyles make there body want to hold onto fat and there fore the muscle goes first. You can be heavier and thinner with muscle than you can be with fat. with fat you might be lighter but you will be a larger size.

I'm working on weightlifting, running and eating in the zone. Trying to drop 30 and then maintain. I think maintainence is alot harder than losing it. Keeping up the daily routines without the drop in scale gratification. You just have to focus on the health aspecet and being strong when you are older.

good luck with maintenance and lowcarbing

suzy
  #45   ^
Old Sun, Feb-29-04, 18:29

BF:

hey there--
i'm trying to build muscle myself-- i'm doing a pilates for those abs and lift 8lb about 2 times a week for my arms. Then I do some light cardio like cardio kickboxing class or walking. It's important to increase calories when you're trying to build muscle, esp in the form of protein.
funny, i too have an interest in nutrition-- as it relates to diabetes, though. I'm studying to become an endocrinologist.

try not to hate any part of your body-- i'm sure you're quite stunning, and it's what's on the inside that counts! Have u recently lost a lost of weight or gained weight? If u have, it will take time but the fat will shift and even out eventually