Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Apr-20-04, 16:30

Plan: I just look at all nuitritional labels of everything I eat to reduce carbs
Stats: 153/150/130 Female 5'8"
BF:36%
Progress:
Question Is is true that LC takes longer if you're don't need to lose as much weight?

Thank you so much for all of your help and input in response to my questions.

I'm on DAY 6. of INDUCTION. I think I've been following it o.k. Nobody's told me I've made any major mistakes. And I've cut out all the foods that are sometimes "questionable" acceptable-for-induction foods, which some say can sometimes stall the process

I've heard a few people saying that when someone has only about 15lb (not 50, 100, etc.) to lose, it takes longer BECAUSE there's less weight to lose. Is that true?

I'm 5'8" and weigh 150. About 3 years ago, I weighed 125 lb, which may have been a little UNDER. The REASON was because I took CYLERT (a stimulant drug). I no longer take it, and that's obviously the major reason why I weigh more. But I don't think it would HURT ANYTHING if I weighed about 135 lb instead of 150 lb. I SURE would like to LOSE this BELLY FAT!

Is it unrealistic to expect to be 135 lb (or even 140) by DAY 14? I'm afraid I'll get on the scale and see I have not lost an ounce. If it's SLOWER for ME because I'm only 15 lb overweight, I'll WAIT LONGER. But I just want to know if that's normal and if I can take the weight off and keep it off.

Thanks in advance.
J.S.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Apr-20-04, 17:35
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins/gastric bypass
Stats: 278/130/120 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 94%

I think I read in one of these threads induction you should lose 10% of the weight you need to lose so 1.5 lbs for you? Mine slowed down when I got 20lbs from goal. I only lost 6 during induction. Everone is different. Drink your water and exercise with watching your carbs. Good luck your on your way
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Apr-20-04, 17:51

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 293/257/155 Female 5' 8"
BF:
Progress: 26%

Quote:
Is it unrealistic to expect to be 135 lb (or even 140) by DAY 14? I'm afraid I'll get on the scale and see I have not lost an ounce. If it's SLOWER for ME because I'm only 15 lb overweight, I'll WAIT LONGER. But I just want to know if that's normal and if I can take the weight off and keep it off.

It probably is unrealistic if you look at the chart for metabolic resistance on the Atkins website. It shows that a 6 lb loss by someone with less than 20 lbs to lose has low metabolic resistance, so I would think that's a higher range of weight to lose for someone in that situation.

Less than 20 (to lose)

2lbs high

4lbs average

6lbs low

Considering you're not on any specific plan, it's even harder to tell how well you'll lose. Good luck to you.
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Apr-20-04, 18:51

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 162/153/130 Female 5' 8
BF:for/get/it
Progress: 28%

J.S., I am your same height (5'8) and weigh 155. I did induction TO THE "T", and only lost 7 pounds in about 3 weeks. Like yours, my goal weight is also 130. I'm losing pretty slow I think, but I know if I stick with this, the weight WILL come off eventually. Atkins is not a quick fix, so hang in there!!! It does work!
Kristi
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Apr-20-04, 22:01
Forum Founder

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: -/-/- Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

Quote:
I've heard a few people saying that when someone has only about 15lb (not 50, 100, etc.) to lose, it takes longer BECAUSE there's less weight to lose. Is that true?
The general rule of thimb is losing 10% during the first 2 weeks if you're following Atkins - it's the same for PP. After that, it's 5% per month. The percentage remains the same but the amount diminishes. It becomes 5% of 90 pounds, then 5% of 85 pounds and so on. If you aim to lose 100 pounds, that's 10 pounds for the first 2 weeks. If you aim to lose 15, that's 1.5 pounds. That said, your bidy will do what it thinks best with what it's given.

You've lost a whopping 36%. Celebrate it!

Karen
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Apr-20-04, 22:09
Registered Member

Plan: simple low carb :)
Stats: 165/157/150 Female 67"
BF:Have a boyfriend!
Progress: 53%

It is true. Obese people can lose at faster rates, I have heard of some people losing 15 pounds in a week. BUT...you're around the same weight as me and we have about the same goal weight. I lost 5 my first week, and 4 my second. I weigh 159 now, am going to stay on induction for another week, then start adding my carbs in, and I see myself reaching my goal weight (145-50) by mid May or the end of May. You will reach your goal weight faster than someone who is heavier, but they will just lose more per day/week.