Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Success Stories
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

Reply  Back to story:  No longer a diabetic

View Article Article tools
  #1   ^
Old Wed, Feb-13-02, 09:44
Forum Founder

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: -/-/- Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

Wow Donna. That's amazing!

Isn't it a great feeling to be living proof that low-carb works?

Karen
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Feb-13-02, 17:09
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 264/256/205
BF:
Progress: 14%

:roll: That's super, but be careful. technically, once you are diabetic, you are ALWAYS diabetic. It's just that your sugar is now under control. I'm diabetic also (type II - on 5 mgs of glyburide once a day - oral med) and my sugar is in excellent control since LC'ing, but if I started eating carbs again, my sugar would start to rise instantly. I know, I've done it.

Keep up the good work and stay off that medication!

Peace,
Bob
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Feb-13-02, 18:39
Pending Member

Stats: 215/145/120
BF:
Progress: 74%
Default Thanks

Thank you Karen and Bob. Bob you are right about starting to eat carbs will bring my sugar back up. I caught my sugar in time. The doctor said, if I started back to my old way of eating that I was committing suicide. But, I plan to stay with this WOE for the rest of my life. My sugar level was just starting to get in the 200 when I started low carb. I believe in my heart that low carb has and well keep me healthy into a my retiring years.
Donna
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Feb-13-02, 18:44
Registered Member

BF:
Default AMEN!!!!!

One meal at a time! You can do it! But if you 'blow it' on occasion (and who doesn't) don't beat yourself up.
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Feb-14-02, 04:06
Pending Member

BF:
Smile Pastor Bob

Pastor Bob,
May this season of Lent bring you closer to our Lord. I know he has blessed me.
Donna
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Feb-14-02, 09:44

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 220/205/150 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 21%

WOW that is great about your blood sugars -- it is an encouragement to me as that is my goal -- to one day be med free.

Keep on this track and I bet you'll see your cholesterol begin to go down also.
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Feb-14-02, 11:13
Pending Member

BF:
Thumbs up You can do it

Welcome to the forumn. Debi my sister is also on Atkins and she was on three shots of insulin and 4 bills a day. She has been on Atkins since Dec.26 and she is now on only 2 pills a day. Her doctor is really please. Since my sister had open heart surgery last year she wanted to take her life in control so she can live longer for her son Cody who is 5 and has celerbal palsy. So yes you to can do it. Are you type 1 or type 2? We are both Type 2.
Good luck,
Donna
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Feb-14-02, 13:15
Registered Member

BF:

Hi, and thanks for the welcome. I don't usually do this kind of thing (get involved in 'on-line' chat) but this site has been very helpful and encouraging.

To answer your qustion, I'm a type II diabetic. I have been for about 5 years. My sugar has always benin pretty good control, but I'd like to get off my 5 mg of glyburide and the only way that's going to happen is to drop this extra weight.

I've been doing really well in keeping to my new eating lifestyle with one exception----COFFEE!

I can't go withoput my coffee. I don't really drink all that much. Usually 2, 12 ounce mugs in the AM and only occasionally at any other time.

Nice to hear from you.

Blessings,
PastorBob
  #9   ^
Old Thu, Feb-14-02, 15:17

BF:

I am also type II for about 5 years now. This has really brought my sugars down and I'm feeling better. I'm probably switching meds next week because the one I am on stimulates my pancreas to pump more insullin and causes me to retain fat. I have gotten great advice from Doreen about glucophage and I had tried it once and had upset stomach, but she suggested getting something for nausea. Glucophage doesn't seem to cause weight gain, so maybe that would help me as I've been on this almost 3 months and my weight has not budged, I've lost a few inches tho, so I am encouraged and I feel so much better. I just think as the weight goes down I will be able to take less meds and hopefully go totally off of them one day.

That is why is was such an encouragement to hear you were able to do that -- the doctor just raises his eyebrow when I say I want to work to be med free.
  #10   ^
Old Thu, Feb-14-02, 15:49
Registered Member

BF:

Hi Deb,

One of the first things my Doc told me when I was diagnosed with diabetes was that if I lost 40 lbs. I could possibly control my blood sugars with diet alone. Wouldn't you expect that he would know that the med he put me on would make it more difficult to lose the weight?

Typically, Dr's know very little about nutrition. The nutritionist he sent me to put me on a 2300 calorie diet that was almost all carbs. I was probably consuming 300 carbs or more on most days!!! YIKES!!!!

hang in there! Bob
  #11   ^
Old Thu, Feb-14-02, 15:58

BF:

The nutritionist did the same to me, told me I wasn't eating enough carbs wanted me to eat low fat, high carbs.

The doctor said I needed to exercise an hour a day just to maintain -- finally said I could cut my carbs down as long as I didn't have headaches, to raise carbs if I did.

I did initially lose weight when I found out I was diabetic, quit eating and ran like a mad woman, but then when I went on meds it halted everything dead in its tracks.

But I am determined to get this under control --my brother has diabetes also and he is really having a time with his health and I keep trying to help him eat healthier, so maybe if he can see me doing well it would encourage him to do likewise.

Life is an adventure.
  #12   ^
Old Fri, Feb-15-02, 20:00
Pending Member

BF:
Smile Hello

Hello Debi and Pastorbob,
Welcome Debi to the forumn. I also have siblings that are both type 2 diabectic. Me and my sister has finally got my twin brother on Atkins and he is now seeing his sugar level drop. He is a minister and he loves fast foods. But now he is watching his carb and finally losing weight.

Pastorbob, You are right about once a diabetic always a diabetic.
I was on of the lucky ones who caught it before it did any damage. I will now always have to watch my diet and weight. My sister is now off insulin but still on medication. She still take two 500 mg. glucphase a day but her doctor today said if she keep up with her weight loss than in a month it will be only one.
She has been a diabetic since the age of 25. I was diagnosised 3 years ago. But diabetes run on both sides of my family.

Well sorry being so long winded and wish both of you a very wonderful evening.

Donna
  #13   ^
Old Fri, Feb-15-02, 20:35

Plan: AHP&FP
Stats: 197/125/137 Female 5' 6"
BF:42%/22%/21%
Progress: 120%

Donna I am soooo happy for you! Sorry I have not responded sooner but I was on the road again.

You are doing fantastic Keep it up!
  #14   ^
Old Tue, Feb-19-02, 08:43
Pending Member

BF:
Default thanks

Still doing great. My sugar this morning was 80. I using my extra test strips in research finding food that raises my sugar level. So far, only one and that was Jeno's turkey ham. It has 1 carb and says no sugar but something in it raised it to 91 after 15 minutes waiting period. Who would have quessed. Hope your trip was okay?
Donna

Article tools