Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Bread & Baked Goods
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Sep-06-20, 10:11

Plan: Keto, gluten/nut-free
Stats: 245.8/179/149 Female 65"
BF:
Progress: 69%
Post Clean Keto Bun Recipe - 1.6g Net Carbs

This is my own recipe that I created from experimenting with ingredients. It is gluten-free, nut-free, dairy-free, and clean Keto.

INGREDIENTS:
6 large eggs, room temperature
Flaxseed - 6 tbsp seeds (makes about 1/2 cup ground)
Olive Oil -1/4 cup
Monkfruit Sweetener - 4 tsp (or your favourite sweetener)
Pysllium Husk - 3 tbsp
Chia Seed - 1 tbsp
Hemp Seeds - 1 tbsp
Nutritional Yeast - 1 tbsp
Baking Powder - 1 tsp
Collagen Peptides 1 scoop (optional)

DIRECTIONS:
Beat the eggs with a hand mixer or immersion mixer for at least 2 minutes till frothy.

Grind the Flaxseed in a coffee grinder (or a blender on fine ground), and then put the Psyllium, Chia, and hemp together in the grinder, and grind them as well. Makes a total of 1 cup of ground ingredients.

Add rest of ingredients to the eggs, mix well.

Let sit for 5 minutes to thicken.

Spoon into a hamburger bun baking tray, or any about 4" wide baking dish or pan.

Bake for about 20-25 minutes at 375 F. Let cool in pan for 10 minutes, then move to a cooling rack.

If possible, let the buns air dry 2-3 hours before putting them in a zip-lock bag and store in the fridge or freezer.

Makes six buns.

NUTRITIONAL VALUES:

1 bun = Calories: 233.4, Fat: 17.9, Sodium: 82, Carbs: 9.8, Fiber: 5.5, Sugar: 0.3, Sugar Alcohols: 2.7, Protein: 11.8, Net Carbs: 1.6

THOUGHTS AND SUGGESTIONS:

My first batch, I started out with just a cup of Flaxseed meal without the rest (Sweetener, Pysllium, Chia, Hemp, Nutritional Yeast), it was OK, but more like a muffin in texture.

So I added a few other things to try to make it more bread-like, and more nutritious.

It is very dense, more like multi-grain/whole wheat bread texture than Wonderbread, but I love it. However, it's been so many years since I had regular bread, I may not be a good judge! LOL

If you can't eat the Pysllium, Chia, or Hemp, just replace it with one of the other ingredients.

I buy most of my ingredients from Bulk Barn (a bulk food store in Canada), the rest on Amazon.

I also bought the hamburger bun pan on Amazon. But if you have anything that is about 4" wide to bake in, you can use that.

I have a small coffee grinder that I grind my ingredients. I don't think it will work as well, if you don't grind these ingredients. If you don't have a grinder, just use your blender on fine ground. Some ingredients can be bought pre-ground.

Eggs beat up higher at room temperature, so that's important.

If you try my recipe, I'd love to hear how it turned out!

ENJOY!!

Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Sep-07-20, 02:39
Forum Moderator

Plan: Primal/P:E
Stats: 171/146/150 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 119%

Hi Catherine. I'll put this on my to-try list. I have some flax and chia seed to use up. The chia, I haven't used for anything at all yet! I think I was going to make pudding and never got around to it.

Have you tried xanthan gum in them? I think it contributes to a more chewy/bready texture, but I forget what it does in baked goods.

Is the nutritional yeast just for flavour?

I have to make a Bulk Barn run soon, so I'll pick some up. (I love BB. )
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Sep-07-20, 08:57

BF:

Let me know what you think if you try it. I do have xantham gum, but haven't tried it yet. Maybe I'll put some in my next batch to see how it changes it!

The nutritional yeast is for added nutrition and fat.
I bought Bobs Red Mill Large Flake Nutritional Yeast and 1 tbsp is:
24 calories, 10g fat, 3.2g protein, with just 0.8 net carbs.

I searched for foods to use that were low in carbs, but higher in nutrition. I figured if you are going to eat bread, it should be worthwhile nutritionally to your diet!
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Sep-09-20, 15:47

BF:
Question What did I do wrong?

So I tried the xanthan gum while making my keto buns today, and it did not work out great...

This is my original recipe, they are nicely rounded and rose OK.

This is my buns today, made with xanthan gum - they did not rise and are all lumpy, bumpy!

BeforeI give up on the xanthan gum, did I do something wrong??
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Sep-10-20, 22:59
Forum Moderator

BF:

I honestly don't know. The recipes I use it in weren't baked buns, just the microwave mug-muffin-type and chaffles in the waffle iron. How much did you add? The recipes I have call for about 1/8 tsp for a single-serving bun or pair of chaffles...
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Sep-11-20, 13:04

BF:

The package said 3/4 tsp for 1 cup of flour, so that's what I added. Perhaps that was too much?

I will try again next week, with just 1/2 tsp and see if that works better. However, it does taste more bread-like!
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Sep-13-20, 03:53
Forum Moderator

BF:

I tried these yesterday with and without the xanthan gum, and my results were pretty good. This is a nice recipe, and I like how the bun held together. These would be great for me to carry to work in my purse.

I did half the batter with 1/8 tsp xanthan and the other half without. Since I don't have a bun pan, I tried 2 on a cookie sheet, 2 in my Texas muffin pan, and 2 in the dash waffle maker.

I got opposite results in the muffin pan compared to the cookie sheet. In the pan, the xanthan made the buns shrivel up like yours. But on the cookie sheet, it was the xanthan gum bun that rose better while the no-xanthan one spread out into a "flatbread". I'm going to assume it's because the xanthan significantly thickened the batter, so it held together long enough to form a nicer, rounder bun.

Don't do them in the waffle maker. Just don't. They poofed up into a giant bubbly waffle, then collapsed, and the inside didn't seem to cook properly. They seem kind of dry and icky. I'll salvage them and use them for dunking in soup or chili.

I'll come back and edit this after I try them all.

Minor changes/notes:
- I had no hemp or nutritional yeast, so I skipped it.
- My psyllium was already ground into a powder, so used a nutrition calculator to find the equivalent of whole husks (that's what I assume you used, since you put it in the grinder?) and 3 Tbsp whole = 1.5 Tbsp ground.
- I used 1.5 packet of Splenda.

#8   ^
Old Sun, Sep-13-20, 09:11

BF:

Thanks so much for your feedback! I really appreciate it.

Yes I used whole husks, so it's good to know how much that makes in ground. I put three of the ingredients in the grinder at once, since they were so small, so I didn't figure out what they would be ground. I will add that info to my recipe for those who are using pre-ground.

Thanks for trying out different baking methods - interesting that it worked better on a cookie sheet. I didn't even consider the waffle maker, but now I know! LOL