Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Protein Power
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Feb-17-04, 02:24

Plan: no fake foods lo-0 carbs
Stats: 200/160/130 Female 5'2"
BF:goal 25%
Progress: 57%
Default Protein Power Pals: Tuesday, February 17

good morning all!DH birthday today..does anyone have a good idea for munchies at a movie? DH lives for movies.LOL

I'm going to try to make a low carb chicken mole' for dinner.
chocolate without suger. LOL
bye all have a good day
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Feb-17-04, 05:49

Plan: Low-Cal - good carbs
Stats: 235/229/150 Female 5' 9"
BF:
Progress: 7%

Unity started the thread You're officially a member now.

As for movie munchies - I used to carry a big purse with a 6 oz bag of pork rinds and some french onion dip for me and hubby to share -- and we got a sugar-free drink at the movie. I only had a problem once (food from outside is prohibited in many theatres). A manager got really ugly about my rinds / dip - I told him we had special dietary needs and that they didn't sell anything except the diet drink that we could eat / drink. He continued to protest and I told him he was treading dangerously close to an Americans with Disabilities Act violation - he backed off immediately. My local theatre now sells 'the LC alternative' (pork rinds with the cheese dip they use for making nachos on the side) - so I don't have to take my own any more.

I am in moderate ketosis this AM - not shocking since I messed-up and got only 11 gms of ECC - weight is at 175 lbs (finally lost a pound). My menu yesterday was really low on everything except fat. Not getting enough protein yesterday was really not good as I hiked 5.5 miles (half of it up-hill on a 10 - 15% grade). Will add extra protein today for muscles to use in rebuilding themselves.

I was shocked to find I was low on protein when I checked the nutritional info on the Hardees web site. I got the 2/3 pound (10.66 ozs) burger at Hardees expecting it to contain 6 gms of protein / oz as most meat does -- according to their web site, it only contained 45 gms instead of the expect 60 to 65 gms of protein regular hamburger would contain... so I did not meet my minimum protein yesterday. The Hardees burger also contains far more fat (nearly 20 gms more for the 10.66 ozs) than it should if it is regular ground beef - the ingredient list includes something called "whirl oil" - does anyone know what this is? I have emailed Hardees to ask about this. Don't guess I'll be eating there again until I get an answer - these are the only fast-food burgers I like.

Still watching my calorie per pound intake to try to drop another 5 lbs or so by about March 15. Calories per pound 1304 / 175 = 7.45 (aiming for around 9 to 10)

Total calories: 1304
Fat: 101 gms 909 cal 71%
Sat: 34 gms 351 cal 28%
Poly: 31 gms 279 cal 22%
Mono: 31 gms 279 cal 22%
Carbs: 14 gms 46 cal 4% ECC: 11 gms
Fiber: 3 gms 0 cal 0%
Protein: 80 gms 321 cal 25%

Breakfast:
4 egg-beater omlet with 2 ozs lean ham and 1 oz cheddar
Breakfast drink - 8 ozs water, 1 envelope sf gelatine, 1 scoop sf orange citrucel
30 ozs coffee (regular, brewed)

Lunch:
Forgot to eat before going hiking

Dinner:
Hardee's 2/3 lb LC burger (no pickles or mustard)

About 100 ozs water (maybe more - hard to measure while hiking) & 30 ozs coffee

Last edited by Orang : Tue, Feb-17-04 at 05:52.
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Feb-17-04, 06:58

Plan: Carnivore
Stats: 212/179/160 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 63%

Good morning! Back to work (from home) after the long weekend. I did nothing. Nothing. Except the step aerobics every day. Not sure if I should do the workout again today -- the whole "don't exercise the same muscle group two days in a row" thing. I'm thinking, though, that step aerobics might not count. After all, it's just a lot of walking and stepping. If you can walk (even power walk) every day, it seems like step aerobics would be ok. I'm not sore or anything, so maybe I'll do it later in the day.

WATP is "Walking Off the Pounds." It's a series of very popular tapes by Leslie Sansone. If you go to collagevideo.com and do a search on "Leslie" you'll see a whole listing.

Elaine, the counts for the Parmesan Ranch Chicken are guesstimates at best. The recipe called for 2 eggs, 1/4 cup heavy cream, and 1/2 cup Ranch dressing for the wet stuff. For othe dry stuff, it called for 2 cups Parmesan cheese and some spices. I made 6 breasts, and used about half of each of the dry and wet stuff. Here's my guesstimate per serving (one 6-ounce breast):
Calories: 435
Fat: 18 grams
Carbs: 2 grams (no fiber)
Protein: 62 grams

Don't really know if it's accurate.

I did well yesterday, both in eating and in exercise. I did 1 hour of step aerobics, and here are my numbers:
Calories: 1604 goal: 1500 - 1600 (Fitday says 1672)
Fat: 120 grams (66%) goal: 70%
Carbs/ECC: 29/18 grams (7%) goal: 5%
Protein: 101 grams (26%) goal: 25%
Alcohol: 0 grams (0%) goal: 3 - 4 glasses per week
Water: 96 ounces (26%) goal: 64 ounces

I would have been below 1604, but I got really hungry last night and had a wedge of Brie (double-cream and I love it!). Have I ever mentioned that I love the new Fitday?

Last edited by BawdyWench : Tue, Feb-17-04 at 07:02.
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Feb-17-04, 06:58

Plan: PP
Stats: 264/255.2/180 Female 5'6
BF:
Progress: 10%

OK, the calories per pound thing may not be the answer for me. I have eaten at the minimum to up to the max and have gained a pound. This is after doing a 4 mile WATP (MEG-Walk Away the Pounds) yesterday and some before bfast weight work and situps on the stability ball today.

You know what, I am beginning to not want to worry about every damn thing I put in my mouth.(I apologize, I am just having a rotten morning.)
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Feb-17-04, 07:57

Plan: Protein Power maintenance
Stats: 18/12/10 Female 61 inches
BF:
Progress:

Day two of induction completed!! I am having a tough time in the early evening but am sticking it out.

Yesterday's menu

B - 2 eggs over hard w/tsp butter, 4 slices crisp bacon, 16 oz coffee w/2-3 TBS H&H, liquid splenda

L - 1 cup mixed salad greens, 2 TBS lite ranch dressing, 4-5 oz grilled lean pork chops

S - 1 HB egg

D - 1-2 cups mixed salad greens, 5-6 oz grilled beef tenderloin, 1.5 TBS crumbled blue cheese, 1 TBS almond accents, 3 TBS Kraft ceasar vinegrette w/parmasan dressing, 1 can diet rite

S - 1 SF stawberry jello

1 liter flavored water, 8 oz water

I am having tummy issues, everything is going right through me since yesterday afternoon. Last time I did induction had the exact opposite.

Last edited by Chamellie : Tue, Feb-17-04 at 07:59.
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Feb-17-04, 08:30

Plan: Carnivore
Stats: 212/179/160 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 63%

Meg, sorry but I forgot to address your question from last night. You said that suddenly you're getting cravings. The purpose of Induction is to burn off all the stored carbs in your body. That usually takes 2 to 3 days, depending. The sudden cravings might have to do with that.

My advice is to stick it out. Have some SF jello with whipped cream (real, if you can get it) or a lean protein snack or some cheese or something. Different things work for different people. Some people like a tablespoon or two of heavy cream in SF soda (like in root beer or black cherry or orange).

When I was on Induction, I don't really remember any cravings. I did, however, have a small SF jello with whipped cream every night after dinner. I'd buy the little tubs rather than make my own -- more expensive, but portion control is better. Also, I was a canned whipped cream kind of gal. Yes, it has a touch of sugar, but not much. And the little bit you can actually squirt onto the top of one of those little plastic tubs isn't much.

Ellie is on Induction right now, so maybe you two can exchange some ideas. I'm on Induction levels of carbs, but not true Induction in that I eat things that are not allowed on true Induction (like nuts and seeds).

Hope this helps!
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Feb-17-04, 08:56

Plan: Basic Lo Carb
Stats: 270/236/170 Female 5'9
BF:
Progress: 34%

I ended up having a small handfull of pecans and that took care of it. I am going to get some jello and whipped cream today though. Thanks for responding!! Tuesday is my weigh in and measure day. I'm still at 239 and my inches really didn't change much. BUT thats ok since it's that TOM (came yesterday). I'll do another WI and measure on Fri and that will show if I had any real progress that is just lurking behind AF. I had class last night so me and DH couldn't go to the gym but we will be able to on our regular days rest of this week (we go Mon, Wed, and Fri). When I started this on Saturday I was 242 so I'm still down so this was a successfull weigh in
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Feb-17-04, 09:18

BF:
Progress:

Meg - I am also doing induction, this is my third day and I really feel a difference. My appetite is bottoming out, could barely get breakfast down. If you are still having cravings look more closely at what you are eating. I would stay away from peanut butter for the first two weeks. Do get some SF jello and whipped cream. Also be very careful with nuts, it is very easy to overdue them. When I was on Atkins last year I spoke with a counselor at the Atkins Center (after waiting on hold for over an hour) and was told that the reason the say no nuts on induction is that most will not adhere to a serving size and eat too much so they opt to say none at all
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Feb-17-04, 09:34

BF:

I grabbed about 5 whole pecans and then shoved the fact that I had more out of my memory. Although after having that I was fine. I did notice this morning that I wasn't as hungry when I got up so I'm hoping mine bottoms out soon. I'm on day #4. I think the main thing yesterday was I was so busy I didn't get any snacks in, ate dinner on the run then had class until 10pm. When I finally had time to actually sit down I was tired and wanting to eat. I'm going to have to get better at eating the days I have class and eating a relaxed dinner before going. I'm sure that will help. Then having some SF jello on hand if i HAVE to have something when I get home. I'm sure it being that TOM didn't help matters any either. I'm feeling pretty good this morning though, not as tired as I have been lately. It's nice to know I'm not alone during this first phase!!
  #10   ^
Old Tue, Feb-17-04, 09:46

Plan: Atkins-->PP
Stats: 250/211.0/170 Female 5'5"
BF: size 26/22/12
Progress: 49%

good tuesday morning all!!

meg--i notice that when i don't get enough calories in i really feel hungry. i noticed that you said you had ~1400, for me that would be not enough. i feel full (satisfied at about 1800 or more)

well, my pesky lbs are still here. i guess i really didn't loose them yet. i did notice however that my pants fit a little better this morning. so it may just be the inches thing since i have been going to they gym pretty regularly. i will have to take some measurements along with my next weigh in.

i don't remember any strict food items not allowed on PP induction. i thought it was the 30 carb limit. i remember atkins had strict food items for induction. i may be getting my books mixed up though.
  #11   ^
Old Tue, Feb-17-04, 09:54

BF:

I agree my cals were way too low. I've always had a problem upping them even when on low cal..I was always way too low. I get in the mind set that I have this amount to eat so I'm careful then in the evening when I add it up I'm way too low and it's too late to up them. I've tried preplanning my day today on Fitday so hopefully I'll be up tonight. I just finished up a snack so that will help!!

Hope everyone is having a great Tuesday!!!
  #12   ^
Old Tue, Feb-17-04, 09:55

BF:
Progress:

acipenser - You are right about PP induction, however alot of us have found that starting out Atkins induction cleanses the body of carbs and cravings. Not to stay that everyone should follow Atkins induction, it is a personal choice If PP Plan is not eliminating cravings it is probably because of foods that would not be allowed on Atkins....breads, fruits, yogurt, etc.

Today I am wearing my size 10 Tommy Hilfiger stretch jeans (large size 10, most of my clothes are a 12) and they are soooo much more comfortable than the last time I wore them. I know it is water but I am happy none the less. I also got two have you lost weight compliments this am, still to early to tell in my book but sure does help keep the motivation going. I am feeling slightly nausiated this morning...I think it is a normal side effect from induction?
  #13   ^
Old Tue, Feb-17-04, 10:28

BF:

Ellie I felt that way all day yesterday. It hasn't been as bad today though. I thought it was because I skipped my snacks but it very well could have been because of induction!! My problem today is I had my breakfast..and I'm just not hungry for lunch at all. I have some appointments so if I don't eat soon it won't be till 4 pm
  #14   ^
Old Tue, Feb-17-04, 11:43

BF:
Progress:

Meg - I feel the same way. I don't think I am going to get my lunch down.
  #15   ^
Old Tue, Feb-17-04, 11:43

Plan: PP
Stats: 264/255.2/180 Female 5'6
BF:
Progress: 10%

OK, you guys can send for the men in the white coats.

I got on the scale again at work because this was making me crazy all morning and put it in the place where I stepped on it last week. It showed 1 pound DOWN!! I had gotten on it after someone else this AM who had moved the scale out aways into the middle of the floor. I told my friends I will weigh again tomorrow to see if it's a fluke.

Orang, I am a certified nut case today