Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Protein Power
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Jan-13-04, 04:58

Plan: Low-Cal - good carbs
Stats: 235/229/150 Female 5' 9"
BF:
Progress: 7%
Default Protein Power Pals - Tuesday Jan 13

Welcome to the daily Protein Power Pals thread. All who are using, interested in or curious about the PP WOE are welcomed to join in. We also welcome friends not using PP to drop by for a large glass of water and some friendly conversation.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Jan-13-04, 05:22

BF:

My menu was good yesterday. My weight is down anoyther .5 lb this AM - 175.5 lbs.

Total calories: 1500
Fat: 84 gms 756 cal 52%
Sat: 28 gms 252 cal 17%
Poly: 18 gms 159 cal 11%
Mono: 32 gms 287 cal 20%
Carbs: 47 gms 117 cal 8% ECC:30 gms
Fiber: 17 gms 0 cal 0%
Protein: 142 gms 569 cal 39%

Breakfast:
4 egg beater omelet with 2 ozs lean ham and 1 oz cheddar
12 ozs coffee and 8 ozs sugar-free breakfast drink with 3/4 T pysillum power

Snack:
1 oz pecans

Lunch:
1 can tuna (water-pack) with 1 T french onion dressing

Snack:
1 cup spinach salad (2 cups spinach leaves chopped, 1T french onion dip, 1 t onion flakes, 1T parmesan, 1 oz shredded cheddar)

Dinner:
6 ozs meat from a turkey leg - baked with small amt olive rubbed on & seasoned w/ seasoning salt, pepper and garlic powder
1.5 cup brocolli and cauliflower mix with 1 oz velveeta
1 cup beets (canned, sliced) simmered with 1/8 c vinegar and 1 t sweet 'n low

About 96 ozs water, 12 ozs coffee

Goals for today - go for a walk and stay out of the carbs at dinner (we have the 16 yo stepdaughter tonight and she is not LC so I cook some not LC foods for her).

Last edited by Orang : Tue, Jan-13-04 at 05:27.
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Jan-13-04, 05:37

Plan: Carnivore
Stats: 212/179/160 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 63%

I'm back. It was pretty hectic in the office yesterday so I couldn't take the time to post. Anyway, I don't think it's terribly professional to play on the Internet while at work (and especially since my promotion -- which has still not yet been announced -- I don't think it's wise).

Then, I got home and just turned on the computer when my oldest cat started acting strangely. This is the one with the urinary problem. She had a bad urinary tract infection and was on antibiotics for 2 weeks. At that time, she tested negative for bacteria and was given a "clean" (at least for a 17-year-old cat) bill of health. I still had antibiotic left over, so I kept giving it to her. Well, she started having some problems again, like dribbling when she woke up. So, we took her back. Still negative for bacteria, but the vet gave us another week's worth of antibiotics.

The past two weeks, though, she's been harder to give the medicine to (it's in a dropper). I'd squirt it in her mouth, but she'd be fighting me so I think sometimes I got it down her windpipe instead of her esophogas. So she coughed a lot.

So last night, I suddenly heard her meowing in a painful way. I went to find her and she was salivating and hyperventilating. I think she must have been having some kind of cardiac event, because it went on for about 20 minutes. Then, slowly, she recovered. She ate almost a full can (the Fancy Feast cans) of food, and then curled up on a chair for the night. She seems fine this morning.

DH will be taking her back to the vet this morning to see if there's anything we can do for her (the last time I took her to the vet, she bit me hard on my hand and I developed cat scratch fever -- yes, it's a real thing -- was was myself on antibiotics for 2 weeks). It really burns me with this vet, though. We live in a rural area, and people around here don't tend to make a lot of money. So, the vets are accustomed to people not doing tests or going the extra mile for their animals. I've been going to this vet for 17 years now, and have told them time and again to do whatever it takes. I don't want to do unnecessary surgeries or invasive treatments, especially on an old animal (it might be more stressing than the ailment), but if there's a chance we can help the animal be comfortable and maybe even better, I'm all for it.

The vet doesn't seem to be good at preventive care. They seem to wait until an animal is quite sick and THEN recommend blood tests, etc. Long story short, I think it's time to look around for another vet. It won't be as convenient, but then you don't have go that frequently either.

So that's where my mind is at right now.

I'll try to catch up later with LC topics.

Last edited by BawdyWench : Tue, Jan-13-04 at 05:39.
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Jan-13-04, 08:08

Plan: PP
Stats: 264/255.2/180 Female 5'6
BF:
Progress: 10%

Good morning all.

Been doing a little reading on the Mary Shoman Thyroid Website regarding trying to lose weight when you're hypo:
"What this means is, if several years ago, as a woman at 5'7" and 160 pounds you needed 2500 calories a day to maintain your weight, and now, after a diagnosis of hypothyroidism and a steady weight gain, at 210 pounds, you need 2800 calories to maintain your weight, if you dropped your calories back to 2500, would you lose the extra 50 pounds? No, as you reduce your calories and lose weight, your metabolic rate slows down, and according to Dr. Aronne, you'd probably only drop to around 197 pounds, although you'd be consuming the same number of calories as another woman of the same height who's stayed steady at 160 pounds.

This is probably the mysterious factor at play when we see someone who apparently eats even more than we do, but maintains a lower weight level, or conversely, the person who swears they don't eat that much, but gains weight, or stays heavier.

Dr. Aronne believes you can't completely eliminate the metabolic resistance, but a slow steady approach to dieting helps to minimize it. Also, a key way to increase metabolism is through exercise.

Hunger is intricately tied to your brain chemistry. According to Dr. Aronne, your hypothalamus senses you need energy, and issues the brain neurotransmitter neuropeptide Y (NPY) with the message "eat carbohydrates." The surge of NPY is what you experience as "hunger," Once the hypothalamus senses you've eaten enough carbohydrates, it releases serotonin to tell the body, "enough carbohydrates."

But this system can be dramatically altered by several factors, all of which can be present in chronic thyroid disease:

Your metabolism is too slow for the appetite level set by your brain. Thyroid disease slows down the metabolism. What your brain perceives as appropriate food intake levels can then exceed your body's metabolism, creating weight gain.
Your body is under stress, which interferes with the neurotransmitter functions, and is known to reduce the release of serotonin. In fact, part of the success of the recently recalled diet drugs fen-phen was the fact that they increase serotonin and create a "feeling of fullness.
(me-I used to take only the Fen part of that and boy, did that work great for me. I went down to 165. I've never been that successful since.)

So, for people who are insulin resistant, one of the only effective methods is by eating a low fat, low carbohydrate, protein sufficient diet. This means that in addition to the usual restrictions of a low-fat diet, you also need to seriously limit intake of sugar and starches, cutting back on pasta, rice, potatoes, white flour breads, cereal, corn, peas, sweet potatoes, desserts, dairy products, meats, and fruit with a high sugar content.

The South Beach Diet
-- A balanced, low-glycemic approach that can work for thyroid patients

The Atkins Diet
-- If you focus on low-fat meats and good vegetables, Atkins can be a decent approach

The Zone Diet
-- A balanced, low-fat, low-glycemic approach that makes sense for some thyroid patients
"

Pardon the pun, but it's food for thought.Orang and Bawdy and anyone else, jump in here with your thoughts.

Last edited by ewinpa : Tue, Jan-13-04 at 11:51.
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Jan-13-04, 08:58

BF:

Elaine (ewinpa):
So sorry to hear you've been having such a rough time - hope the tea Shelley sugguested helped. Don't shy away from sharing because you aren't all sweetness and light - this is reality. Even during the bad times, we can continue taking care of ourselves - and remembering better times are coming {{{ Elaine }}}

I saw the post re: thyroid problems - will have to do some reading before commenting.

Shelley (Lisette)
Sorry to hear you are also have problems with bloating and tenderness in the upper tiers...

Re: your questions about healing and hiking... (For newcomers - I became ill back in Oct and had to have surgery - I have not been able to use the WOE much of that time. I was able to get thru this gaining only 3 lbs which I have now lost.) My muscle tone is autrocious because I my ablity to exercise is seriously limited - I am trying to resume light walking now - I'm supposed to avoid steep grades and markedly uneven trails - hmmmm... how long do those of you who know me think I'll abide by these rules? )

WTG re: doing the treadmill.

Keith:
Missed you yesterday. Your menu looked good on Sunday. Saw your comments on cooking in bulk and making your own TV dinners - I have 18 of those plastic devided dinner trays... I couldn't survive my hectic schedule and stay on this WOE if I didn't do as you plan. My hubby also takes these to work for lunch (he works at a nuke plant in the middle of nowhere - there are no LC lunch options there - just a pizza place and a deli (he can get a decent salad in a pinch there)

Smoothblu:
Menu looks good - especially the fiber. I seem to lose better when I keep my fiber over 15 gms a day. WTG re: the 10 Lb loss!

Had to laugh re: your shopping experience. Our WalMart is the worst place I have ever shopped - bumping, cursing and all manner of rudeness are considered normal parts of the shopping experience there... I only go there to get items that are not sold anywhere else and have asked other grocers to consider stocking those items so I never have to go there again... I went to a WalMart with my mother over Christmas - it was not the horrible experience it is here.

Ellie (chamellie):
Glad the doc thing got straightened out and they didn't find anything major wrong... hope the ultrasound is normal as well. I know waiting for the testing and results is hard, but better to rule out functional causes before assuming it's just hormonal shifts.

Ouch re: back - be careful!

Deb (flintstone):
As others have said - one bad weekend is not the end of the world - just get back on track. A 5 lb loss is great!

Your menu looks fine to me - as you said - 9 - 11 cals per lb is a good cal ratio for many in on-going weight loss (OWL). If you find you need to cut some fat / calories later (when you don't weigh as much), it wouldn't be terribly difficult using the menu you posted - just sub less fatty meats like ham, roast beef, chicken, turkey, fish for all or part of the bacon and frankfurters.

As for the fat ratios - if you feel good and are losing, the fat shouldn't be a problem. Rob often has similar ratios in his menus.

RobNJ (sasquatch or yeti):
Rob, hope your sprained wrist gets better soon - I sure do miss hearing from you, but I know typing is painful right now. {{{ Rob }}}

Charran:
WTG re: making it to the gym even though you weren't feeling great. Remember, the wanting to eat everything in sight will go away soon - just keep eating protein and fat instead of carbs until that happens. Looking forward to seeing your menus when you get thru the cravings.

WendyOH:
Ouch re: carmps - hope they are history today.

You menu looks so yummy - I'm adding the cottage cheese and yogurt back to my menus this week. I focused on fiber for the first few days back.

RobinBeBe:

Re: 15 lb weight loss

Unity:
Hope you are doing well. Missed you yesterday.

Kathy (Bawdy):
So sorry to hear your elderly cat is having problems again. I had an elderly cat with many medical problems - I took her to the UT Vet school clinic - they were up-to-date on all the latest research and the interns took more time with her than a regular vet ever would have.

Marjorie (Marnie):
Missing you - hope you are having a great time in Mexico.

Where are our missing folks: Dreamer, CityGirl, msk, Shiva, Matt, Karen and Mark ?????
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Jan-13-04, 09:40

Plan: my own
Stats: 253/176.0/153 Female 5 feet 7 inches
BF:
Progress: 77%

Orang- Congrats on the .5 down. Tyvm for posting your menu. How are egg beaters? I have never tried them and am wondering...do they taste like eggs? Or is it one of those acquired tastes?

Bawdy- Sry to hear about your cat. I went through having a sick dog last year ( just before christmas we ended up having to put her down). It is very hard having to deal with a sick animal. My heart goes out to them because they can't tell you how they are feeling or what you can do for them to make it better. Maybe finding a new vet is a better answer for you. I'm glad to hear she was feeling better.

Ewinpa- I don't know much about thyroid disorders, but perhaps you could answer this one question. I was under the impression that there were meds that ppl take for thyroid disorders that should correct them?...Is this not true? I found the part about insulin resistance and the low fat, low carb, protein sufficient diet interesting. Are they saying this in relation to thyroid disease or to just ppl who have insulin resistance?
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Jan-13-04, 09:45

BF:

Char:
Re: egg-beaters - the taste isn't exactly like a whole egg and the texture is different - I have learned to like them. Several here add a whole egg to them and say that improves the flavor a lot - I don't do that because of sensitivity to arachadonic acid (contained in high concentration in egg yolks and beef)
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Jan-13-04, 10:37

Plan: Carnivore
Stats: 212/179/160 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 63%

2 quick notes.

Ellie, you might have issues with endometriosis. It's a weird disorder. Some people with only mild symptoms can have tons of endometriosis, and others with horrendous symptoms can have only a spot of it. It's good, though, that they haven't found anything bad, but you probably almost wish they would find something so that it could be fixed. Hang in there. We're all sending you positive thoughts.

Orang, about the eggbeaters. I watched a Graham Kerr cooking show once and he said that the trick with using eggbeaters is to pour it into the pan and then let it set up. Then ever so gently push the cooked parts toward the center and kind of gently flip it so that the uncooked portion cooks. He says the worst thing you can do is to attack it like so many people do when they're scrambing eggs.

Later!
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Jan-13-04, 11:54

Plan: Protein Power maintenance
Stats: 18/12/10 Female 61 inches
BF:
Progress:

Just have a sec

Bawdy - My late dog suffered from seizures that sound like what your cat is having. I don't know if there are meds you can put her on. At the time I could not afford a vet so my poor baby suffered with them until I had to put him to sleep.

Also...re endometriosis - I had a laperoscopy many years ago for similar problems and they ruled out endometriosis. I am really thinking it is hormones out of wack because of all the other symptoms (breast tenderness, mild cramping, mood swings, night sweats, etc).
  #10   ^
Old Tue, Jan-13-04, 12:00

Plan: PP
Stats: 264/255.2/180 Female 5'6
BF:
Progress: 10%

Robin-congrats !!

Char, I do take synthroid. The problem is that it is just that, a synthetic thyroid. Taking those drugs makes losing harder. Even Dr Atkins said that.

I am VERY resistant to losing, never lost a thing on Induction on Atkins, so I switched to PP. Still trying to find what level I will feel full at without too many carbs and too many calories. I always seem to be hungry on 1200-1400 cals. I'm getting afraid to eat different foods and that food is becoming the enemy. Not a good mindset.
  #11   ^
Old Tue, Jan-13-04, 12:27
Registered Member

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 280/280/212 Male 6.0
BF:
Progress:

well i know I am not much into tracking my food intake, I need to get started on that. I have been toying with Fitday again and I beleive that I have it figured out enough to at least get started.

Good news though, Mom invited me over for dinner last night, my older brother was there, and I didn't touch any potatoes or bread. If you know me you would know that is a big deal. Mom even accomodated my WOE by having plenty of salad, and fixing a dish that does not have pasta in it (shes italian) I know I still ate a little too many carbs though I did not eat any lunch yesterday.

She even loaded me up with meatless products (yes, I like to eat that stuff) they are pretty low in carb, and coupled with a protein dish, will be a good meal.

The forum has really helped me pass the time, and provided some valuable support I did not know I needed.

I haven't touched any pastry for nearly two weeks now. Day by day.

Well I must tend to my spiritual needs and go to the gym to begin my new workout routine now that all the ice has melted.
  #12   ^
Old Tue, Jan-13-04, 12:52

Plan: ALOT of salads,veggies ec
Stats: 180/160/140 Female 5'5
BF:
Progress: 50%

Afternoon!

It is another beautifull day here! I will enjoy EVERY bit of it! We will be calving in March so my free time (and sleep) will soon be coming to an end! I can NOT seem to get settled down good to finish the last nail (pounds) on my coffin (so to speak!) I am not sure which route to go, induction type to get it off, Wendy plan, or what???? I Feel for you Elaine, that is so frustrating! Maybe the more that you read up on the thyroid issues that you will find the reason for your determent! I too feel the same about food, Oh if only food was just a pleasant option instead of a necessary evil!!! BTW, is there a perscription you could get to up your seratonin levals??

Orang, WTG on the continued healing and weightloss!! And I should know better than to ask if you are hiking!!! Can you have cheese??? I just use egg whites and the cheese, if you do not over do the eggs they are pretty good, Egg whites are safe for you aren't they???

Bawdy, sorry to hear about your cat, 17 years is a long time to be blessed with having your "baby" around. I have been pretty lucky that my mittens (9) is still in good health and when he has ventured outside that he has not ended up a coyote/hawk snack!

Robin, GREAT to hear about your Loss!!!!! You go girl!!!!

Ellie, When will you get the ultrasound results?? let us know!! So the progges. cream is not working?? Do you also take vit. E??

Char,egg beaters, well like Orang said "an aquired taste!" that is why I am just eating the whites with some great cheese! Good for you on the
workouts!

Deb, as long as you continue to drop in weight you should not have to adjust much yet!

Blu, I do not get up to the big city much so I have not ran into all that you have to endure! although at an after Thanksgiving day sale when I did go, WOW talk about mayhem!!!

Well a BIG HELLO to Keith,Unity, Wendy(hope you are enjoying your weekend!),Marnie(misses to you!!) and to everyone else, have a good Tuesday!!!!!
  #13   ^
Old Tue, Jan-13-04, 14:27

Plan: my own
Stats: 253/176.0/153 Female 5 feet 7 inches
BF:
Progress: 77%

ewinpa- I think I too am resistant to weight loss. I followed atkins quite faithfully last year and lost hardly any weight. I was also having some issues with feeling pretty dragged out most of the time. That's when I too decided to try Protein Power( didn't last long though) so now I'm back to try the PP again and this time give it an honest effort. It can be very frustrating when that happens. How long have you been on PP? I sure am hoping that its the answer for me and I hope you find the levels that you are comfortable with soon.

lissette- i've seen the "wendy plan" being mentioned here a few times. Could you please tell me what it is?

keith- Wtg on resisting those potatoes and bread! I know it can be hard. I was grocery shopping this morning and had to get bread for the kids. Well I walked into the bakery section and the smell of fresh bread baking...MMMMMM....I almost caved right there in the store.

ellie- I'm fairly new here , so I'm not sure of the nature of your medical problems, but I sure do hope they all get sorted out in a hurry!

My past 3 days menus are not that exciting and i've been writing everything down, but I'm not getting enough protein daily (even with the protein drinks) I'd have to add at least one more in to get where I need to be. I've been averaging around 100 grams a day, which is not bad, but i need another 20 at least in there. So far I have not had the dragged out feeling that I did on Atkins and I really hope this continues. Maybe I was just simply not getting enough protein on Atkins ( which is not the plans fault, that's obviously my own doing), but somehow i just never thought to add more protein while on Atkins. I did everything else, but not that!
  #14   ^
Old Tue, Jan-13-04, 15:43
Registered Member

Stats: 280/280/212 Male 6.0
BF:
Progress:

I went to the fitness club today, and did a circuit on the machines. Feels so good to lift weights again. I weighed myself before working out and I am down to 273. Great for a first two weeks. Though I will judge my progress more on inches than weight since I am weight training. I feel sooo much better. More energy, lighter on my feet and I am not constantly hungry and eating all the time.
  #15   ^
Old Tue, Jan-13-04, 15:45

Stats: 166.5/146.5/145 Female 67 in.
BF:23.21%
Progress: 93%

Real quick....

Char-The "Wendy Plan" is basically my own combination of Lean for Life and Protein Power plans. I wasn't getting the results I wanted on Protein Power alone, so I adopted some of the Lean for Life principles to jump start weight loss and now am back to a more Protein Power-like eating routine, with continued success. Lean for Life allows more carbs but is extremely low in fat and calories. There is also a weekly protein only day. So for a couple month, I alternated my weekly protein day with 6 days of eating around 1000 calories, 60g carbs. Then I slowly upped my calories during Thanksgiving and Xmas with the intention of maintaining my loss and upping my metabolism. I have been maintaining since. I'd still like to lose another 5 lbs or so, but am in no hurry to do so, and am maintaining nicely at around 1300-1400 cal, 60g carbs per day.

Elaine-I, too, have read the thing about hypos needing to keep fat down. I am certain it is one of the reasons that I never succeeded on Atkins. It wasn't until I really cut back on fat to a more moderate level and actually increased the good carbs a bit that I've been able to lose. I eat around 70g of fat per day now, and while doing Atkins, I'd lose track after about 200g!!!!!