Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > CAD/CALP
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Jun-24-03, 17:46
Finding the Pieces

Plan: Mishmash
Stats: 365/308.0/185 Female 66
BF:
Progress: 32%
Default CAD/CALP Stallers/Weight Gain

CAD/CALP is not Atkins with a RM!! There is a very delicate chemical balance on CAD/CALP to keep your insulin under control, the RM working and you losing weight.

Any one of these can cause you to stall, crave and/or gain weight.

1. Eating more than 4 times a day.
2. Drinking coffee with cream and/or AS more than once a day outside your RM or taking more than 15 minutes to drink that once a day coffee with cream and/or AS.
3. Eating too much cheese at CMs--more than 2 ounces.
4. Artificial sugar during the day or at CM.
5. Diet Soda during the day outside your RM.
6. LC recipes or lc products during CM.
7. Exceeding 4 carbs per CM exclusive of listed foods.
8. Too much fat at CMs.
9. Hidden carbs/sugars, fillers.
10. Using net carb theory.
11. Atkins allowed vegetables that aren't on the CM list.
12. Vegetables that aren't on the CM list.
13. Trigger foods at CM--MSG, broccoli, green/red peppers, cottage cheese, onions, AS, pork rinds.
14. Allergen/sensitive foods at CM/RM-- sugar, wheat, dairy, cheese, eggs.
15. Not enough protein. Try for at least 12 ounces.
16. Flavored waters.
17. Salad dressings with more than 2 carbs per serving.
18. Nuts, bars, shakes, mock danish, pork rinds.
19. Unbalanced, wildly unbalanced, or carb binging RMs.
20. Gum and breath mints.
21. SF Metamucil or fiber outside CM/RM.
22. Exceeding the 60 minute RM rule by even a few minutes.

For some, all of these will cause problems. For some, some of them will. It's a very individual thing. For the first three weeks of CAD/CALP, I suggest avoiding them all.

Hey CADers, did I forget anything?

Last edited by Kristine : Wed, Jul-02-03 at 11:55.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Jun-24-03, 18:41

Plan: CAD
Stats: 220/184/160 Female 68 inches
BF:36.2
Progress: 60%

Looks like you got them all to me, Zuleika! The ones that were the toughest for me to give up were the diet pop and SF gum. They were also the last things I gave up. . .so if there are new people out there. . .avoid gum and pop! It's not worth it!

Keep on, all!!!
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Jun-24-03, 19:27
Registered Member

Plan: atkins turned CAD
Stats: 125/120/110 Female 5 ft 2 or 3 in/157-160 cm
BF:30%
Progress: 33%

thanks zuleika! i was so depressed that i gained a pound and a half (although i know sometimes weight gain can happen when i do everything correctly) that i binged like crazy over the weekend and today. i read the CAD book and was STILL making these mistakes. thanks again for posting!
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Jun-25-03, 08:23

Plan: CAD from day 1
Stats: 327/304/160 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 14%
Cool Looks good to me!

that is a very thorough list, Zuleikaa. I can't think of anything to add.

I sure had trouble with some of those myself.... the cheese at CM's - I gave that up entirely and it made a big difference, the mock danish was DEADLY for me, all my cravings and crazy food obsession came right back when I had it for breakfast.

I also had to give up diet pop at CM's and learn to be careful about the 15 minutes for my coffee.

All of this was a learning experience and took time to figure out what worked for me. Each time I had to modify or give something up it was painful. I felt I was already doing enough and that should be it! But, after I would make the change, I usually wouldn't even miss the item after a short time. Now, it mostly comes automatically to me, but I know there will be more to learn as I go along.

I love CAD

Tracy
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Jun-25-03, 12:54

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 184/184/165 Female 5' 6"
BF:no clue
Progress: 0%

This has totally turned on a light for me. When I started CAD in January I thought I could do Atkins-style during the day with the reward meal at night. In my caffeine-deprived brain I figured since I was watching carbs during the day I should be fine. I'm just now realizing that the fat I was taking in during the day (because I was doing Atkins) totally backfired on me when I got the carbs into my system from the RM.

I've just finished up induction for the second time and am still missing some of my favorite foods. I also miss that reward meal! I think I'm going to re-read my CAD book (for the *third* time! agh!) and see how I feel about it.

Question about the fiber, though -- does that include fiber pills? Should I just take those before I eat a CM?
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Jun-25-03, 13:07
Finding the Pieces

BF:

Yep. Some people would say the fiber will bind up some vitamins but you have to take it with food. Without food, a CAs body considered it another meal.
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Jun-25-03, 13:12

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 184/184/165 Female 5' 6"
BF:no clue

Very good to know! Thanks, Z!
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Jun-26-03, 04:14
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins-->CALP
Stats: 120/116/110
BF:
Progress: 40%

Wow what a great list!! .. I'm going to really study it .. what interests me is that eggs & cheese are listed as possible allergens...is there a test for this or do we need to eliminate them one by one until weigt loss starts ??
  #9   ^
Old Thu, Jun-26-03, 04:37
Finding the Pieces

BF:

I you have a food you're allergic/sensitive to, you'll know it. Headaches, nausea, bloat, dizzyness, cravings, mental fogginess, gas, diarrhea, heartburn and other unpleasant symptoms.
  #10   ^
Old Thu, Jun-26-03, 16:32
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins-->CALP
Stats: 120/116/110
BF:
Progress: 40%

Ok....makes sense I'm not experiencing any of these symptom but I'll keep an eye out.
  #11   ^
Old Thu, Jun-26-03, 17:22

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 300/300/195 Female 65"
BF:

*le sigh*

Thanks for posting this!

I'm really stuck around 241. The only things I've been doing very differently has been having coffee and cream in the morning when I'm hungry, and having a slab of cheese (about 2 oz) at CM.

Time to leave out the cheese...
  #12   ^
Old Fri, Jun-27-03, 16:31

Plan: CAD + South Beach Diet
Stats: 230/177/160
BF:
Progress: 76%
Default cm's

hi,

this week i made my own salad dressing ,with olive oil & vinegar and stop having breakfast, and no sweetners for cm.

i now drink allot of water in the mornings, sometimes even warmed, and have one cm at noon & rm. I eat nothing until noon. I must say i have noticed

1) less hungry for cm and rm.....i can actually wait for the food to cook instead of grabing what is easy
2) stoped binging during rm, i eat enough. I feel like i can save food for the next RM instead of treating each cm like it's my last meal.

It is worth giving up the sweetners, which i think was my problem. i would have coffee and a healthy cm and i would be hungry long before lunch. Then at 3 pm , 3 hours after my second cm. Then i start craving for my rm.
Now i eat nothing before noon and i feel hungry about 11.30 am. After my first cm.......i do not feel hungry......i just have an rm but i am not craving it like before. i want it, yes but i can wait for it.

this is my 3rd day fasting before noon ,i lost 3 pound overnight.....!!!! i gained that 5 pounds a 2 week's before TOM everymonth and it's good to see 3 of them drop them drop a week before tom. I hope this continue. i can't describe how i feel this is real freedom!!!!
  #13   ^
Old Fri, Jun-27-03, 20:51

Plan: CAD
Stats: 220/184/160 Female 68 inches
BF:36.2
Progress: 60%

CAD is amazing! I have noticed some of the same things over time. I have slowly begun to think of my RM as just another meal. . .not a huge binge. I used to think I was starving for it, now I have to think and think before anything really sounds good.

What amazes me is the things I have given up over time. I was a pop-aholic. I loved Dr. Pepper! I thought I would die without it. Now I only drink it if I am going out for dinner. . .not at home. If someone would've told me I would give it up and not miss it a year ago, I would've thought them crazy.

Anyway. . .for new CADers out there. . .just slowly ease yourself away from your addictions. . .if I can do it, anyone can! I am actually in control and loving it!!!
  #14   ^
Old Sat, Jun-28-03, 00:51

Plan: The Carbohydrate Addict's
Stats: 255/225/160 Female 5 foot  4 inches
BF:
Thumbs up

thanks Zuleikaa for this info.

I am starting from scratch again to see if I can get out of this stall I am in.

I have your list of things to try taped to my fridge.

This forum is such a big help. I check the messages regularly and often find just the advice I need at that time.
  #15   ^
Old Thu, Jul-10-03, 14:46

Plan: cad
Stats: 153/145/125
BF:
Progress:
Default cad

Hello,

this is my first post. I've been on the cad since April and have lost about 8 pounds. I'm getting very discouraged.

I didn't know you couldn't drink diet pop during the day. I thought they said you could, and also, I keep hearing that during the reward meal, that you can eat as much as you want but have to have more of everything. That you can't just have more potatoes. Is that true? I've been looking at my book trying to find out where it says that.

I drink black coffee alot. I don't have to limit that do I? but maybe I should stop drinking the diet pop during the day. So also you're not supposed to eat more then 2 oz of cheese and the cm?

I'd appreciate any input!

Thanks!