Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Mar-08-12, 13:24

Plan: atkins '72 -now ketogenic
Stats: 260/181.4/140 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 65%
Default I've never eaten an avocado.

When I first started LC, I thought i would have to do all kinds of fancy stuff to avoid getting bored. I've discovered that's not the case, and I eat the same basic stuff over and over. Beef, bacon, bologna, eggs, salads, cheese, cream cheese, nuts, butter, veggies, the occasional hot dog (i don't wanna hear it, im not going to die from a hot dog now and then) mayo, mustard, maybe a pickle. Lather, rinse, repeat. But im still curious because it seems like EVERYBODY here eats a few particular items that ive never been exposed to. Like avocado. How do you eat an avocado? Raw, or do you cook it somehow? Do you eat the skin? Do you salt or season it or prepare it in any way? Are they expensive, is there a certain kind i should buy? What do they taste like?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Mar-08-12, 13:27
Real food!

Plan: Lower Carb/IF
Stats: 238/155/140 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 85%

I love avocado. I just cut one in half, scoop it out (don't eat the skin,) put a little salt on it and enjoy. I also cut up avocado and add to salads or put slices on top of hamburger patties. If you've never had one, I'd advise buying just one to see what you think. Price-wise, they usually range from $1.00 - $1.50 each where I live. They are high in fat, so have a fatty texture to them.
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Mar-08-12, 13:32

Plan: atkins/hcg
Stats: 228/162/135 Female 65
BF:
Progress: 71%

I also cut in 1/2 and scoop it out - never eat the skin - it has a creamy texture but really no flavor to me - it just adds fat to my salads or i do like a slice on tuna or salmon with salt & pepper
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Mar-08-12, 13:36
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Avo's are kind of bland when eaten alone (raw), but put some salt and lemon juice on it and it comes to life (mayo too). Eat it with tomato and bacon, that's good too. Make guacamole (you've had that, right?). I cut it up into salad.

It's smooth and lovely in the mouth.
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Mar-08-12, 14:13
Looking 4 Onederland

Plan: Atkins '72, IF
Stats: 284.5/200/170 Female 5' 5"
BF:Why yes it is! ;)
Progress: 74%

Pick up a Haas, they are usually dark with bumpy skin. They taste the best. The others are kind of watery to me.

Most likely they will be hard as a rock when you buy them. Don't try to eat them....leave them on the counter and wait until they are soft to the touch, but not squishy. After they are ripe you can put them in the fridge.
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Mar-08-12, 16:05
Never Give Up!

Plan: It's anybody's guess!
Stats: 350/250/160 Female 70 inches
BF:
Progress: 53%

I adore avocados, but had never eaten one until I was about 19 or 20. The first one I tasted was like taking a bite out of a stick of butter consistency-wise, but it tasted really yummy. They are quite bland without salt, though. Have you never had guacamole dip? That's mostly mashed avocado. (Yuuuummmmm! Avocado! )
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Mar-08-12, 16:51
Every day is day 1.

Plan: Atkins 1972
Stats: 249.0/220.6/160 Female 67 inches
BF:Yup. I know.
Progress: 32%

Quote:
Originally Posted by becky7474
Pick up a Haas, they are usually dark with bumpy skin. They taste the best. The others are kind of watery to me.

Most likely they will be hard as a rock when you buy them. Don't try to eat them....leave them on the counter and wait until they are soft to the touch, but not squishy. After they are ripe you can put them in the fridge.

Listen to what Becky says about making sure it's ripe or you will be disappointed. I generally make mine into guacamole. Here's how I make mine:

After scooping out the insides I dice it up (like you would eggs) and add finely chopped tomato and green onion then add a little salt, pepper and garlic to taste and mix. Some like to completely mash their avocado for guacamole but I like mine chunky. A little lemon or lime juice will help it stay green - especially if you intend to leave some in the fridge. It can turn brown quickly and it doesn't look so nice then....
  #8   ^
Old Fri, Mar-09-12, 00:22

Plan: I eat all of the eggs. :)
Stats: 600/400/160 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 45%

#9   ^
Old Fri, Mar-09-12, 02:00

Plan: My Own
Stats: 293/293/180 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 0%

I guess I hoped this was more of a listing of foods no one has tried or maybe something maybe philosophical in nature. I thought it would be a funny thing to admit on one's death bed! However, I have eaten an avocado, it was a little too ripe, I wasn't really "wow'ed" by the experience. I have never eaten a chicken or pig's foot. I have never eaten a pickled egg, I am probably more curious about that one. I have only seen people reaching into large glass jars to pull them out on tv shows, it looked like a unhygienic way of serving them, but I guess they didn't get sick from it serving them that way. I have eaten real pickled peppers, homemade by a fabulous cook when I went traveling with my mom. My dad and his friends would make pickled watermelon rinds in the summer. We'd have dad and 3 other guys laughing and cutting up watermelons and making jars of them in the kitchen. No one was allowed to- or even able to-use the kitchen when that was going on. I imagine not many people could say they have eaten pickled watermelon rinds!
  #10   ^
Old Fri, Mar-09-12, 03:09

Plan: paleo with L plates
Stats: 180/162/143 Female 160cm
BF:
Progress: 49%

Quote:
Originally Posted by RubySpider
I guess I hoped this was more of a listing of foods no one has tried or maybe something maybe philosophical in nature. I thought it would be a funny thing to admit on one's death bed! However, I have eaten an avocado, it was a little too ripe, I wasn't really "wow'ed" by the experience. I have never eaten a chicken or pig's foot. I have never eaten a pickled egg, I am probably more curious about that one. I have only seen people reaching into large glass jars to pull them out on tv shows, it looked like a unhygienic way of serving them, but I guess they didn't get sick from it serving them that way. I have eaten real pickled peppers, homemade by a fabulous cook when I went traveling with my mom. My dad and his friends would make pickled watermelon rinds in the summer. We'd have dad and 3 other guys laughing and cutting up watermelons and making jars of them in the kitchen. No one was allowed to- or even able to-use the kitchen when that was going on. I imagine not many people could say they have eaten pickled watermelon rinds!

Sorry, but I have eaten a few bizarre things. Pigeon, possum, emu, crocodile, kangaroo ( not so unusual really) and raw jellyfish. And avocado, which is sooooo much better than raw jellyfish. Everyone, I am here to tell you, can skip the jellyfish. Cold, slimy horrible, but I just had to try it.
  #11   ^
Old Fri, Mar-09-12, 04:11

Plan: General Low Carb
Stats: 164/162.6/151 Female 5'3"
BF:Sure is
Progress: 11%

Quote:
Originally Posted by tragedian
I've never eaten an avocado

*FLAG*

(Just kidding!)
  #12   ^
Old Fri, Mar-09-12, 08:47
Every day is day 1.

Plan: Atkins 1972
Stats: 249.0/220.6/160 Female 67 inches
BF:Yup. I know.
Progress: 32%

You know after reading some of the foods listed above I'm not so bored with my narrow food list anymore....

I've had watermelon relish but not whole pickled watermelon rinds. The watermelon relish is absolutely wonderful. Hmmm I may have to try my hand at it this summer. I wonder if you can successfully sub sweeteners for the sugar???
  #13   ^
Old Fri, Mar-09-12, 09:13
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 202/182/136 Female 168cm
BF:
Progress: 30%
Default Worcester sauce

Served with salt and à few dashes og Worcestershire sauce makes it divine.
  #14   ^
Old Fri, Mar-09-12, 11:45

Plan: Paleo-ish general LC
Stats: 151/119/118 Female 64 in
BF:
Progress: 97%

Quote:

Goodness, I thought I'd never hear someone mention pickled watermelon rinds. My grandmother used to make them - she's from Nebraska. When I moved here I asked people around just to see if they've heard of them and very few have.
  #15   ^
Old Fri, Mar-09-12, 12:07
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Quote:
I have never eaten a pickled egg, I am probably more curious about that one. I have only seen people reaching into large glass jars to pull them out on tv shows, it looked like a unhygienic way of serving them, but I guess they didn't get sick from it serving them that way.

Pickling juices are usually very salty and acidic and that's enough to kill most bacteria. That's why they pickle food, to preserve it.