Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Quick Meals & Snacks
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Sep-10-10, 17:25
Patience Personified

Plan: LC/OMAD
Stats: 199/188/130 Female 5'3"
BF:5'5" tall
Progress: 16%
Default Cracked Pepper Flax-Sesame Crackers

I tinkered around with a basic flax meal cracker recipe and came up with these this week. They're good alone, with butter or cheese!

http://buttoni.wordpress.com/2010/0...esame-crackers/
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Sep-24-10, 13:12
Patience Personified

Plan: LC/OMAD
Stats: 199/188/130 Female 5'3"
BF:5'5" tall
Progress: 16%

Full Recipe:

I modified a basic Parmesan Flax Meal Cracker recipe and came up with one hubby and I both LOVE! Nutritional information below reflects the inclusion of the sesame seeds, but bear in mind that sesame seeds are not allowed until the nut/seed rung of OWL. The cheese is salty enough, so whatever you do, do not add any salt to this recipe. I did ONE time and ruined the batch! These are really crispy and marvelous with your favorite snack cheese or just spread with butter! I even had a few with a bowl of soup the other day! I’m thinking about reducing the cheese and increasing the flax next time I make them, as I find them a bit salty and that has got to be coming from the cheese! Will modify this recipe later if that experiment proves to be better without any loss of crispiness. I would think these could be re-crisped in the oven, if after a few days they lose any crunchiness.

INGREDIENTS:

1 c. flax meal (I like a 50:50 mixture of golden:dark)
1 c. grated parmesan cheese
1 tsp. onion powder
½ – 3/4 tsp. coarse ground black pepper (to your taste)
2 T. sesame seeds (omit if still on Induction)
½ c. water

DIRECTIONS: Preheat oven to 350º. Grease even a non-stick cookie sheet pan with a thin film of oil. Mix all ingredients and stir into a crumbly mixture. Pour mixture onto lightly greased 11×17 pan (mine is non-stick). Using plastic gloves or little sandwich baggies for gloves, press the mixture evenly over the bottom of the pan. Try to avoid hills and gullies. If you have one, roll with a greased, smooth sided glass or small rolling pin moistened with oil. Using a knife, gently score into 48 crackers (8 rows x 6 rows). Bake at 350º for around 25 minutes. Watch them closely as ovens vary and over-browning ruins these. Take them out the minute the edges get lightly brown and center feels dry to the touch. When cool, gently break the rows/crackers apart along the score lines. Store in an air-tight container.

UPDATE: I made another batch of these today. This time I used a little more golden flax than I did the dark. I also reduced cheese to 3/4 c., added 1/4 c. oat fiber. I also added a couple tablespoons more water so the mixture would hold together enough to press into my pan easier, yet this extra water did not make them any less crispy! I think this recipe will be better for me, as I’m fairly salt sensitive and this lowered the saltiness considerably.

NUTRITIONAL INFO: Makes 48 2″x 1.5″ crackers made by recipe as originally written, each contains:

24.13 calories, 1.79 g fat, .93 g carbs, .73 g fiber, .2 NET CARBS, 1.31 g protein, 33 mg sodium

*If made with changes noted in the “update” (less cheese and the oat flour) each cracker has: 35 calories, 2.67 fat, 2.08 carbs, 1.88 fiber, .2 NET CARBS, 1.55 protein. Note the carb count stayed exactly the same despite the addition of oat fiber because it is just that, fiber. It has as many grams of fiber as it has carbs! Nice, huh?