Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Apr-24-03, 07:54

Plan: Atkins and Sugarbusters
Stats: 237/201.5/170 Female 64 inches
BF:Still not sure...
Progress: 53%
Talking Vacation ideas???

I am going on vacation in two weeks (Hawaii, to show off my new bod ) and I am wondering if anyone has tips on things I can bring to make this WOE easier? In the beginning, I ate lots of the Atkins bars, but they really stall me, so I'm not eating them anymore. Ideas of easy ways to stay on plan when you are not at home and may not be able to cook...
I know I'll be able to eat lots of fish!!!
Any help would be greatly appreciated-
Anything I can bring along?
Thanks!!!!!
fm
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Apr-24-03, 09:00

Plan: Atkins, KISS, BFL
Stats: 205/153/154 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 102%

I'm leaving on vacation next week and I'm planning on bringing those individual sleeves of nuts. I tend to stay away from nuts usually but I think they'll work as an emergency food on vacation. I may pack a couple of Atkins muffins for the first couple of days. I'm also thinking of picking up some low-carb protein shakes when I get to my destination.

Good luck! I'll be interested in hearing what other people suggest.

Amy
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Apr-24-03, 09:11

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 260/230/150
BF:
Progress: 27%

I would really only worry about something to eat on the plane (there and back). It is a long flight and the food on the plane will be loaded with carbs - and generally yucky. So, you may want to pack some low-carb snacks (nuts, cheese, even those bars that stall you) to get you through the flights.

Once you get to the Island(s) just follow your WOE as you would while eating out at home. If the meal comes with potatoes or corn or plantains then ask for something green. Skip the bread. Have coffee or tea for dessert. You may luck out and find someplace which offers berries with unsweetened cream.

The pineapple will be marvelous and probably everywhere. I know I would end up craving it like crazy - 'cause it is one of my very favorite fruits. I don't eat it now because it is best fresh and I can't get good fresh here so I don't eat it. Good reasoning right? But if I were in Hawaii, oh boy, that would be hard. Personally, I'd have a little bit - just to satisfy that that craving. But, beware, if you are very sensative to the sugars then this might not be an option for you.

The most important thing for you to worry about is HAVING FUN!! Stick to your plan but don't fret - just have a good time.

Hope this helps.
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Apr-24-03, 09:19

Talking Thanks!

Yeah, I'm worried about the plane. I'll bring a bunch of stuff in my suitcase.
I think the Pineapple and Mai Tais are going to be hard to stay away from. But if I stick to plan on everything else, I think I might be ok....
I just don't want to fall off the wagon....
fm

(that's me falling off the wagon!)
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Apr-24-03, 09:30

Plan: atkins
Stats: 165/145/130
BF:
Progress: 57%

Whereabouts are you going? We're going to the Big Island in January (husband can't take a vacation until then) and I'm already planning how to stay lo-carb. Does your room have a little fridge - lots of places there do because you can't keep anything in your room unless it's refrigerated because of the roaches. Even if it doesn't, you can go to the local grocery and buy a styrofoam cooler and some ice, then stock up on lunch meat, cream cheese and veggies like you would at home. We always do this when we go out of town, that way we usually eat just dinner in a restaurant. Also helps you keep lots of cold water on hand. For the plane, make some cream cheese rollups and freeze them. They'll stay fresh and cold and if they're still frozen when you're ready to eat, the flight attendant can pop them in the microwave for thirty seconds or so.

Have a terrific time!
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Apr-24-03, 19:12

Talking What a good idea!!!

Cream cheese roll ups, huh? Is that just cream cheese and ham or something? Do tellme how to make them - this is very interesting.
We are going to Maui- We went to Oahu last year, and wanted to try a different island this time. We love it!
When we booked the vacation, I booked a condo, so I could have a kitchen!!! But, my concern is not the times when we eat in the room (I'm set there like at home) or when we eat out (got that downpat too) It's all of the inbetween times (the plane, the airports, the excursions, the hikes, etc...)
Also, I am dreaming about a Mai Tai, but I think they have about 650 carbs each! I think I can have rum and diet coke, right??
Thanks for your ideas- and let me know about that roll up or any other food I can take on the plane...
fm
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Apr-25-03, 08:55

Plan: atkins
Stats: 165/145/130
BF:
Progress: 57%

You'll probably enjoy Maui even more than Oahu. All the other islands are so much less crowded and even more laid back.

You might be surprised at the carb count on Mai Tai's. They're pretty high octane and you won't need more than one if you want to walk away from the table on you're own. There must be some web site that gives nutrition info on cocktails.

Ok, to make a cream cheese rollup, warm the cream cheese in the microwave, then spread a thin layer on any deli meat and roll up! I also like to grate swiss or cheddar on deli meat, nuke it and roll it up while it's warm. You can also bring nuts with you. I prefer hazelnuts to macadamia nuts, they're pretty low carb. If you live near a Trader Joe's, you can buy a pound for a ridiculously low price. One thing you can do when you get there is go to the local grocery and buy some cheeses, olives, veggies, etc. and make yourself a little relish tray to nibble from while you sit on the lanai and sip a drink!