Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > Kick Nicotine Club
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Jun-11-02, 11:20

Plan: Atkins/person plan
Stats: 298/275/240 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 40%
Unhappy I fell off the wagon.....

I had successfully quit smoking for 4 months...I could not have been happier not smoking! Then trouble started....my husband lost his job...my mom may have cancer...just life, but I caved!
I had one...then two...then a pack..and so on.

I have been back smoking for 3 weeks and it's like I never stopped

I know I have to stop again....I am a disappointment to my husband, myself and friends!

I vow that as of Wednesday June 12/02 I will stop again and this time hopefully for good!

Good luck to me.... and to all of you who are going what I am going through. It is not easy, but well worth the effort

Not so happy......
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Jun-12-02, 13:58

Plan: restarting Protein Power
Stats: 185/?/147
BF:
Progress: 63%

There's no need to be so hard on yourself, because you deserve congratulations on the four months. Perhaps you'll be able to do five months, six months or even more next time. Hope that helps.
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Jun-12-02, 14:25
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 165/141/130
BF:
Progress: 69%
Default I agree

Don't think it's like you never quit, because you did! For FOUR months! That's pretty good. And it means you are capable of quitting. Even better!

I have my mom as a role model. She had a VERY heavy smoking habit for something like 35 years. She tried to quit LOTS of times. Then one day she just did it. Hasn't smoked in 14 years. My grandma did the same thing ten years ago. But then her husband got cancer. She started again, smoked all through his illness (3 years) and still smokes now that he's been gone for 2 years. It tells me this:

We have to remember that this will ALWAYS be an addiction no matter how long we go without smoking. I know that I will always have to be vigilant. It's WAY too easy to start again, as you well know. We just can't let our guard down.
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Jun-13-02, 13:16

BF:
Default Thanks....

Thanks so much for the encouragement.....I wanted to try again yesterday, but I think I will wait for the weekend.....I always do best when I am NOT at work! That tells me something!!

It is so true about it being a constant addiction......once I quit again I now realize that I can not have even one drag....otherwise I will be back smoking before I know it.

Okay...so here's to this weekend...my fingers and toes are crossed.....and I have the cinnamom sticks ready to chew.

I'll keep you posted!

Happy
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Jun-13-02, 16:15

Plan: restarting Protein Power
Stats: 185/?/147
BF:
Progress: 63%

Quote:
It is so true about it being a constant addiction......once I quit again I now realize that I can not have even one drag....otherwise I will be back smoking before I know it.

Ummm, err, I don't know what to say to that, except that I think that that's not such a good thought to dwell on. I'm trying to think of something more positive to balance it ... the best I can do is to say that the world won't end if you have the odd cig. But you deserve congratulations for any time that you've stayed off it too.

Cinnamon sticks? Thanks for that suggestion, I'm going to start looking out for them at my local health food shop now.
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Jun-19-02, 12:28

Stats: 230/197/135
BF:
Progress: 35%

Just keep telling yourself that you did it before and you can do it again. I was like you and fell off the wagon a few times.

You're right about not ever having even one drag -- I quit for 11 years and started again! It took me several tries and several years before I made it the second time (it's been over a year now).

Just keep trying -- you can do it!!!!
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Jun-27-02, 15:49

BF:
Default trying again...

Thanks so much for the encouraging words....I have been smoke free AGAIN...for 3 days...taking one day at a time....let's hope I can be a little more successful this time....maybe 5 months...

You can always hope....

Happy
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Jul-10-02, 11:44

Plan: Controlled carbs
Stats: 218/195/150 Female 62"
BF:
Progress: 34%
Default quitting on and on and on

The first time I quit for seven years then slowly I start again so the second time I decided to remove myself from my smoking environment .
I stopped going to the bar ,I only met my smoking friends in an outside situation and at home I would severely slap my head when the enticement would slitter in my brain .
How rude ,it sure wakes you up fast!
You become aware of the sneakingness of the addiction.Every body laugh when I tell them but It sure put you back on tract in a hurry.
By the way I only had to use this drastic measure three time and by then I would realise it when when the sneaky thought was worming its way in.Good Luck!
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Jul-10-02, 12:09

Stats: 230/197/135
BF:
Progress: 35%

Just wondering how you are doing, Happy2lose. Let us know how it's going.
  #10   ^
Old Wed, Jul-10-02, 12:14

Plan: General low carb
Stats: 185/173/150 Female 5'5"
BF:

I would like to know too. It is a hard thing to do. Today I have been smoke free for 8 weeks. I feel pretty good.
  #11   ^
Old Wed, Jul-10-02, 12:32

Plan: Controlled carbs
Stats: 218/195/150 Female 62"
BF:
Default slap on the head

This was a few years ago .I now live away from temtation .
Unfotunatly my son who lives in town is a smoker so every saturday on my way back from shopping I stop at his house and I get one cigarette wich I craddle on my way home and smoke on my porch.
That is one of my rule never smoke inside.So you see I am a poor example.
I wish I never started this ritual.Iguess Ineed as much help as anyone.