Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > Kick Nicotine Club
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Mar-20-02, 09:44

Plan: atkins
Stats: 188/139/140
BF:
Progress: 102%
Default weight gain after giving it up?

Well people this will be a new venture for me. Our smokes went up to over 8 dollars a pack and I have had enough!!! I have wanted to quit for a long time but there is no better time than now. I have done really well getting my weight off and keeping it off for 6 months now but I wonder how quitting smoking will effect it while low-carbing? Would love to hear from others about how they did. And what they did to help the cravings and weight gain.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Mar-24-02, 13:39

Plan: lower carb
Stats: 186/186/140 Female 52 inches
BF:
Progress: 0%
Default had the same question

Hi , I had the same question.. I have been lcing for about 2 months now and had promised the kids this summer i was quiting smoking and Im scared about the weight loss or gain.. I gained 36 lbs the last time i quit smoking.. dont want it to happen this timel....

We can do this together I guess.... Good luck with quit smoking..
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Mar-25-02, 11:36

BF:
Default hey RT!

Thanks for your reply. I would certainly be willing to help U get thru this. Im on day 5 of not smoking!! I have no cravings [the patch] but feel crappy, achy,and depressed. Dont think I will be a poster girl for nicoderm...lol I will let U know about weight gain. Just finishing up TOM so will weigh myself later this week. I have been warned by many to expect 7-10 pounds and thats if U really watch what U eat and exercise. A lot more will pack on if U arent careful. BUT I also know if U are careful and do exercise the weight U put on will most likely come off after a few months, once your metabolism straightens out. Keep me posted on when U are quitting.
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Mar-27-02, 19:36

Plan: PPLP (Intervention) Dilettante
Stats: //
BF:
Unhappy It's happening to me...

I was really hoping that by sticking with LC'ing I wouldn't experience any weight gain (Oh, how quaint!) and after 4 weeks, I haven't weighed myself, but my pants are getting awfully snug! I guess we just have to accept that as a fact of quitting, huh?

I never thought to ask what to expect in that regard. So Gale, people said to give it a couple months? They're gonna be
l-o-n-g months!

Oh well, it's worth it in the long run. At least I'll be able to afford to buy new skinny clothes when I finally get skinny!!!
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Mar-27-02, 21:02

BF:
Default so far so good

well Donna, today is day 7 for me and I got the courage up and weighed myself and I havent gained!! I was impressed. I realize its early in the game however I am more optimistic now that maybe I wont pack on a bunch of weight. Just have to weight ..lol and see.
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Mar-28-02, 07:04

Plan: lower carb
Stats: 186/186/140 Female 52 inches
BF:

Great Gwilson.... WIshing the best for you on this end.... May you continue not to gain any weight....... Im stil looking at this summer on quiting... Will keep you posted...

Tammy
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Mar-28-02, 10:52

BF:
Thumbs up You are so lucky!

I'm so happy for you. I realize that I have to accept that most of us will gain a bit as the body rebels against having precious nicotine taken away, but it'll come off. I'll just keep on keeping on.

You must be just thrilled! I know I would be!
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Mar-28-02, 11:38

BF:
Default thanks Tammy and Donna

Its still way to early to tell where my weight will end up being a non-smoker. I do have a couple friends tho that even after a week had put on 5 pounds. Coincidently, one of them is short and after a couple months [she went thru Christmas] she had put on 12 pounds. She started low-carbing and within 3 weeks the weight and inches came off! Donna do U exercise? Have you changed your eating at all?
  #9   ^
Old Thu, Mar-28-02, 12:27

BF:

Hi Gale,

I'm ashamed to admit that I don't excersize right now. I am always very active in the summer and sedentary in the winter. As soon as it's light out late enough I will begin my normal daily 3 mile walks, rollerblading, biking, etc. I like to take the winter off because usually by the time it's getting dark early again, I've burnt myself out. I know that's the probably the most horribly wrong way to go about things, but I can't join a gym for the 4th time and not go. It's just too expensive and that's what I always end up doing.

As for the eating, I have stuck to the LC WOE, but interestingly enough, I have been kind of cruising back and forth between these threads and the Candida threads because I've had some of the symptoms. I just did the spit test described in one of those threads and failed it miserably. So, apparently I have a pretty good case of Candida according to that. I guess that would explain not losing any weight. Combine that with quitting smoking and it's a recipe for gaining some, for sure. That's okay though.

Now that I know exactly what I'm dealing with, I can cut the anti-candida foods out of my diet, get the proper supplements from the health-food store and relax a bit about what's going on with my body. As long as I know something, then I can deal with it. It's the not knowing that drives me crazy!!!

The worst thing now is, whenever I have a new tactic that I think about taking, I always think I should take a couple of days off and just eat whatever I want, because I can't have it again for a very long time, if ever! I know how stupid that is, but it's a mindset I have a really hard time getting around for some reason.

Any suggestions about all this new info?

I'm so glad you're here today! I got the day off work to have a 5 day weekend.
  #10   ^
Old Thu, Mar-28-02, 14:06

BF:

Im not able to exercise as much at the moment either [ patch control...lol] In your case once U can get more active you will notice a weight loss again. One thing I have learned with low-carbing is that I dont have to say "never again" What I mean is that for once in my life I am satisfied with the way I eat, feel and look. When U have that combo U cant go wrong. Also I know that its not that I CANT ever have something low-carb I just need to control when I have it and more importantly my emotions when I have it. I am really interested in this candia thingy..ummmm what the heck is a spit test?? LOL I havent read any threads in there I will have a look. I likely wont get on here for a few days so have a wonderful weekend and I will catch up with U after.
  #11   ^
Old Wed, Apr-03-02, 09:04

BF:
Default New Report

Day 14 for me and still doing well as far as not smoking or any cravings. Not so good on the weight front tho. For the months January, feb and march I was constantly at 132. The 1st week of not smoking I stayed 132 but this morning I was at 136! CRAPPP! Im not near TOM, nor have I changed anything else. Im not able to do my hard aerobic workout at the gym BUT I am still doing some aerobics in the early mornings, going for some walks and still doing lots of stretching and toning exercises. I just bought a bunch of new clothes, some summer things I may not be able to get into soon. We are going away to a resort for a few days in a month and I sure hope I will be able to wear them. So far from this non-smoking gig I feel yucky, I ache, have gained weight and Im depressed...lol Dont think I will become a poster child for it.
  #12   ^
Old Wed, Apr-03-02, 09:16

Plan: AHP&FP
Stats: 197/125/137 Female 5' 6"
BF:42%/22%/21%
Progress: 120%

Hang in there girl!

Remember it is impossible to gain 4 pounds of fat in a week unless you are consuming an ungodly amount of calories a day. It's only water retention

I quit smoking several years ago, since June 2000 to be exact .

Keep going it gets easier!
  #13   ^
Old Wed, Apr-03-02, 21:00

BF:
Default Thanks Cat

I appreciate your reply. I know I know, I just have to be patient. I also know that even if my weight stablizes at say 139, I am still below my goal and a year from now I will be a nonsmoker and slim!..lol I just hope my jeans fit then too.
  #14   ^
Old Thu, Apr-04-02, 20:03

BF:
Unhappy Oh Gale!

I was bitching to my boss yesterday (she smokes 5 smokes a day) about how I've gained weight since quitting. She told me about a girlfriend of hers who quit smoking and gained 20 pounds. Then she started smoking again. So, in her own words, "After all that misery, all I ended up being was a fat smoker"!

Hang in there girlfriend, one issue at a time. That's my theory. We know how to lose weight, right? We've proven that. We can deal with it later... right?

(I'm not sure who I'm trying to convince, me or you!)
  #15   ^
Old Fri, Apr-05-02, 09:48

BF:
Default hey Donna

I have been doing a lot of research on here on smoking and metabolism. It has been suggested that 1/3 dont gain any weight , 1/3 lose weight, and 1/3 gain weight. Now they dont give a time frame on this. Im just really down right now. Day 15 for me and I feel achy, crappy, and now I am getting a cold. I weighed this morning at 138...but then a few min later I was back to 136. Im just scared that my weight will continue to climb the next few months and put me in a major depression. And that maybe this WOE wont be quite as friendly because of the new metabolism change. Its just a "weight" and see game.