Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Quick Meals & Snacks
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Thu, Oct-28-04, 12:05
... Pro-Atkins!

Plan: General LC
Stats: 312/274/220 Female 5'11"
BF:
Progress: 41%
Smile

Hi Chutatip_t

This thread was started to respond to my recipe on some other thread. Here is the original:
Homemade Psyllium & Flax Crackers
4 heaping Tablespoons psyllium powder
3 heaping Tablespoons flaxmeal
2.5 cups of water
Seasoning

Mix the dry seasonings, psyllium and flax powder together in a large tumbler. Add 2-3 cups of water, mix well (but briefly - it doesn't take long to turn to gruel!) and pour onto a greased cookie sheet [the kind with sides]. Bake in over at low temperature (200-325) until crisp (3 hours to overnight). Break up into big pieces and store in a ziplock baggie - they'll stay crunchy!

As far as seasoning blends, I've gotten fancy and used Tex Mex (chili / cumin / lime) or Herbal (dill weed/seed, sesame seeds and onion), but I typically just add Mrs. Dash and salt!

It only takes me a few minutes and makes a tasty addition to my diet.

Now, if you read through this whole thread, you'll see that Karen (mskllsws) used *teaspoons* and they still worked great for her. I like a cracker with more substance; not enough of the psyllium/flax makes it very thin and sharp. I think you should experiment and find what you like! It's hard to go wrong.

Good luck!
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Thu, Nov-25-04, 11:53

Plan: IF/Keto OMAD
Stats: 236.9/214.1/199 Female 66 inches
BF:Why yes/it/is !!!
Progress: 60%

to add some different flavours to these crackers, why not sprinkle the raw dough with dry popcorn seasonings before baking?

Sour cream N onion
Ranch
dill pickle
BBq etc.

Just a tiny sprinkle probably wouldn't hurt the carb count much. Then we would have a LC version of "Crispers", right?

i'll try it and see.

Deb
  #18   ^
Old Wed, Dec-01-04, 01:26

Plan: none
Stats: 120/102/110 Female 5'1"
BF:
Progress:
Default Am I going crackers?

It's been a while since I stumbled across the recipe for psyllium crackers. I have read such good reviews of the recipe. I finally hit the health store and picked up some ground organic flax meal but when I tried the recipe it did not work. At least I THINK it didn't work. After an hour and a half, the "crackers" were dark dark dark brown and very bitter tasting. Half of it stuck to the bottom of the pan and the other half popped up into a very thin layer. Does my palate or my recipe need refinement?

Thanks!
  #19   ^
Old Wed, Dec-01-04, 03:11
... Pro-Atkins!

Plan: General LC
Stats: 312/274/220 Female 5'11"
BF:
Progress: 41%
Talking Hey Pay!

First, welcome to the forum!

The fact that your crackers get brown after only 1.5 hours tells me your oven is too hot. You want a slow, gentle bake that dries the cracker out more than roasts it. It typically takes my oven 8 hours to get it right ... three hours of 250 with the door cracked, then five hours (or overnight) inside the oven with the heat off. After it's initial 3 hours, I'll often take the cracker out of the cookie sheet and lay it upside down on the oven rack. It dries the cracker more uniformly.

Check your ingredients. You are using flax meal and psyllium powder, right? Flax can taste bitter, especially if it isn't fresh. Many folks buy flax seed (golden is best, I believe) and grind them in a coffee mill. I use Bob's Red Mill flax meal and keep it in the freezer.

And in the original version*, you use heaping tablespoons, not teaspoons. (Makes the cracker less paper thin, IMHO.) It will buckle, and come away from the edges ... that's normal.

Be sure to grease the pan well ... I use a Crisco pan spray (like PAM, but I think it works even better).

Be sure to season them in whatever way appeals to you. Lately I've been making a teriyaki version with soy sauce, DaVinci's pineapple syrup, garlic powder, ginger, black pepper and a sprinkle of sesame seeds. Delish!

And finally - don't blame your poor palate if you try these solutions and you still don't like them, just like everything else, they're not to everyone's taste.

Good Luck and let us know how your next experiment turns out!

* Homemade Psyllium & Flax Crackers
4 heaping Tablespoons psyllium powder
3 heaping Tablespoons flaxmeal
2.5 cups of water
Seasoning

Mix the dry seasonings, psyllium and flax powder together in a large tumbler. Add 2-3 cups of water, mix well (but briefly - it doesn't take long to turn to gruel!) and pour onto a greased cookie sheet [the kind with sides]. Bake in over at low temperature (200-325) until crisp (3 hours to overnight).
  #20   ^
Old Wed, Dec-01-04, 04:13

Plan: none
Stats: 120/102/110 Female 5'1"
BF:
Progress:
Default Mmm... teriyaki!

Thank you for the welcome, the quick response, and the great information!

I am indeed using flax meal, but I think that I am using Psyllium Seed Husk. It's kind of in "flake" form. Is that right? I did only use teaspoons and it did NOT turn into a gruel before I turned it out onto the pan. My usual experience with psyllium is that it gets thick quickly, but I didn't think anything was wrong, counting on the fact that 3 hours in the oven should remove the excess water. Whoops!

I used olive oil on the pan. Do you think that pam would be better?

My family LOVES teriyaki so I'm very excited to try your new seasoning suggestions. Do you just mix it all together?

I thought this recipe would be great for our little boy who has starting potty training. I figure they suggest plenty of fluids when working on going "tinkle" so why not help get things moving when he's working on going "plop"? Teehee. He's started to suspect the thick! milkshakes I've been offering lately, but he'll NEVER turn down a cracker!

Thanks again for your quick response and your willingness to help me get this right!

Cat
http://www.catjahnke.com
  #21   ^
Old Sun, May-14-06, 15:40

Plan: atkins
Stats: 120/100/95 Female 1.60 cms
BF:
Progress:
Thumbs up please...help me out with the recipe

Hi there.....I´m really interested in the recipe for the flax psyllium cracker but here in Venezuela we don´t have that product ..please let me know if I could use for example more flax meal and maybe some wheat bran instead of the psyllium...please I'm new here and I would thank you very much for your help.
  #22   ^
Old Mon, May-15-06, 11:20

Plan: atkins
Stats: 120/100/95 Female 1.60 cms
BF:
Progress:
Default Please Help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hi there again.....I´m posting one more time this reply expecting that someone can help me out......I´m really interested in the recipe for the flax psyllium cracker but here in Venezuela we don´t have that product ..please let me know if I could use for example more flax meal and maybe some wheat bran instead of the psyllium...please I'm new here and I would thank you very much for your help.
  #23   ^
Old Wed, Mar-07-07, 15:47

Plan: Healthy carbs:)
Stats: 157/157/119.9 Female 65
BF:Enough!
Progress: 0%

I am definately going to try this one tonight. I am going on a road trip and need something snacky but not high in carbs. I can't wait to see if this comes out well!