Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Breakfast Ideas
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Sep-10-11, 08:58
Patience Personified

Plan: LC/OMAD
Stats: 199/188/130 Female 5'3"
BF:5'5" tall
Progress: 16%
Default Homemade Orange Marmalade

Here's my first low-carb attempt at marmalade and it came out quite good. Next time I'm making it lime, my favorite all-time marmalade I got hooked on in Britain. It is pictured here: http://buttoni.wordpress.com/2011/0...ange-marmalade/

I reached for some sugar-free marmalade the other day and hubby had used it all up without telling me so I could replenish. I really wanted some for my low-carb toast, so I grabbed my last 3 oranges out of the crisper and decided I was gonna try to make a batch. The result was pretty good, so I’ll share with you here. This recipe is not suitable until the fruit rung of the OWL ladder. I like to add 1 drop orange food coloring to mine, but this is not necessary. And it goes without saying this can be turned into lime marmalade, or lemon marmalade by substituting about 6 lemons or limes for the recipe. If you’ve never had lime and lemon, you’re in for a real treat!

INGREDIENTS:

3 medium oranges
Orange juice from 3 oranges (I got about 1 cup)
Peeling from 3 oranges (about 1˝-2 cups)
Water to equal 2˝ cups total liquid with the juice above
1 c. granular erythritol sweetener
˝ c. granular Splenda
1 packet unflavored gelatin

DIRECTIONS: Wash oranges and slice off all the peeling in largish pieces, trying to get as little of the white membrane as possible. This membrane will make your final marmalade a bit more bitter/intense. I am perhaps unique in that I actually like a slightly bitter/not-too-sweet marmalade, but most do not. Cut peeling into matchstick slivers and if you like, place in food processor or blender and pulse to chop as fine as you like it.

Now cut the oranges in half and squeeze out as much juice and pulp as you can, avoiding any section membrane getting into the juice. I do this with my hands, but you can use a strainer if you prefer. Take care to not get seeds into the mix. Add enough water to equal a total of 2˝ cups liquid. Place juice with water into saucepan along with sweeteners, gelatin and peel and stir to dissolve. Turn on burner to medium and cook/stirring for about 5-10 minutes. Turn off fire, add food coloring if desired and chill a bit before spooning into 4 small jelly jars (I got mine into 3 jars). Will get thicker overnight in the refrigerator. You may have to stir the marmalade a bit right before serving if the peeling bits are fairly coarse/large.

NUTRITIONAL INFO: Makes 4-4˝ cups or 36 servings of 2T. each. Each serving contains:

11.33 calories
.03 g fat
2.35 g carbs, .58 g fiber, 1.77 g NET CARBS
.63 g protein
142% RDA Vitamin C

Last edited by Buttoni : Sat, Sep-10-11 at 13:41.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Sep-10-11, 09:47

Plan: LC
Stats: 157/155/135 Female 5'6
BF:
Progress: 9%

That sounds really yummy. I always look forward to your recipes Peggy. I don't eat artificial sugars but I can dream about your marmalade.......
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Sep-10-11, 13:47
Patience Personified

Plan: LC/OMAD
Stats: 199/188/130 Female 5'3"
BF:5'5" tall
Progress: 16%

Oh, you're sweet, Lizzy. So glad you like the recipes. In all honest, I rarely eat stuff like this for breakfast Lizzy. But my husband does and won't give them up totally. As a rule, I just taste or have one serving to decide if the recipe is good enough to post on my site. Two thumbs up and it gets posted; if one of us doesn't like a recipe, that one never hits my website. Hubby is T2 diabetic and likes his sweets still. He's pretty good about eating the low-carb stuff I make him, even though he's not on Atkins 100%. He really liked this because it's less sweet than the commercial.