Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Breakfast Ideas
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Jul-23-11, 07:51
Patience Personified

Plan: LC/OMAD
Stats: 199/188/130 Female 5'3"
BF:5'5" tall
Progress: 16%
Default Peggy's English Muffin

I've been tinkering with a number of ingredients to come up with an English muffin over the last year and this one is getting pretty close. It is pictured here: http://buttoni.wordpress.com/2011/0...english-muffin/

This English muffin doesn’t have the elasticity of the traditional version, but it sure toasted nicely and psychologically felt like I was having an English muffin. Flavor was nice, especially with jam. I tried to take my picture so you could see the inside texture well. The air bubbles really do facilitate crisper toasting and promote the resemblance of a flour-based English muffin, I think. These would not be suitable until the OWL phase of Atkins since they have almond flour. For you recipe tweakers…….do not substitute coconut flour in this recipe. I did one that way and it was hard as a rock, didn’t toast so well, and not very good flavor-wise either.

INGREDIENTS:

2 T. melted butter, unsalted
1 large egg, beaten
pinch salt (omit if using salted butter)
3 T. almond flour or meal
˝ tsp. oat fiber (I buy from honeyvillegrains.com)
1/8 tsp. baking powder

DIRECTIONS: Melt butter in microwave. Beat in the egg until smooth. Add dry ingredients and beat until batter is smooth. Microwave on HI for 2 minutes. Tip muffin out onto cutting board and carefully slice in half laterally. Toast to desired brownness and butter or serve with your favorite no-sugar fruit topping. My picture is shown with sugar-free blackberry jam.

NUTRITIONAL INFO: Makes 1 English muffin which contains:

294 calories
27 g fat
7.4 g carbs, 4.6 g fiber, 2.8 g NET CARBS
10.9 g protein
217 mg sodium
24% RDA Vitamin A, 28% B12, 23% iron, 22% riboflavin, 29% selenium and 70 mg potassium
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Jul-23-11, 20:23

Plan: THM
Stats: 272/216/137 Female 63"
BF:
Progress: 41%

That looks fantastic! Wondering...and I just may test it and report back...if I could use vital wheat gluten instead of the oat fiber. (I have wheat gluten on hand). It should also add chewyness.
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Jul-24-11, 04:49
Patience Personified

Oh, please do report back, Cat. I'd love it to be just a tad chewier also. Hope you like these!
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Jul-29-11, 05:42

Plan: THM
Stats: 272/216/137 Female 63"
BF:
Progress: 41%

First try, I got more of a bread than a hole-y muffin. Still trying to figure where I went wrong. My almond meal is with the skins, so maybe they interfered with holes. I didn't mix it a long time to develop the gluten (I used wheat gluten in place of oat bran), and probably should have. I lightly spritzed my bowl with nonstick spray, because I was afraid it wouldn't release, but then instead of holes all through the mufin, there was one big spot on the underside where it separated from the bowl. So maybe it needed to stick to the bowl to make the holes.

I am going to try it again for sure. Right now I'm eating it with ham, egg, cheddar - an egg mc muffin. Calorically speaking, as breakfasts go, this one should hold me for about three days
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Jul-29-11, 18:47
Patience Personified

I didn't get any holes on the coconut trial. Not until I put in the baking powder did I see holes in mine. But I'm avoiding bakied goods right now on my recent stall break so I won't be testing this further for a little while. Let me know, if you try it again, how it goes next time.