Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Introduce Yourself
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Mar-27-02, 21:06

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 236/214/155
BF:
Progress: 27%
Talking Long time lurker - first time poster

Hi all! I've been checking out all the posts - very interesting to see all the different information available! I've been doing this WOE since Jan 30/02 and have been fairly successful. I've been visiting other message boards but this one appealed to me because of a high Canadian content. I am having a heck of a time finding low carb products!!! There are just so many things available in the US that aren't here... I'm hoping to get good hints and tips to keep the WOE interesting.

Lynne
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Mar-27-02, 21:13

Plan: atkins
Stats: 188/139/140
BF:
Progress: 102%
Default welcome Lynne!

I see your are in Alta too, Im in Calgary. I know what U mean about having a hard time finding low-carb products. I went to Amaranths [health food store] and was disappointed to find out they had very little I could use. I really havent searched out a whole bunch yet tho. I do make my own low-carb muffins that are yummy. Anyway nice to have U aboard with us here!
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Mar-27-02, 21:29

BF:

Hi Gwilson!

I checked out the yellowpages on lowcarb.ca and there was quite a few places in Calgary that appear to sell LC items. I'm going to check some of them out when I'm down there this summer!

I'm in Grande Prairie - nada here except for Ross chocolate bars (which are lovely and I'm glad they're here!).

I'm just jealous because they have SO many LC products in the States - LC seems to be so popular down there and still 'taboo' here if you mention to someone that you're following a LC diet.

Lynne
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Mar-28-02, 09:33

BF:

I havent recieved too much flack from anyone because of low-carbing. Most people are amazed that I look so healthy now. They cant believe what I eat and how much! lol I met a woman at the lake last summer and she started asking me questions about low-carbing. We have stayed in close touch and to date she has lost 90 pounds! She looks awesome and so healthy now. I have never had a Ross's choc bar. Because I am hypoglycemic I rarely have anything with artificial sweetners. I will have LC muffins sometimes or about once a month or 6 weeks I make LC cheese cake but thats it. Can U tell me some of the place that sell these LC products down here?
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Mar-28-02, 09:50

BF:
Default Sure!

There's a few stores listed in Calgary - this is what I pulled off the site:

Community Natural Foods 403-229-2383
1304 10th Ave SW
Description: A large store, featuring bulk soy powder and soy flour,bulk nuts, tons of packaged protein powders, vitamins, pottasium pills, soy pastas

Lewis Chocolates
2 locations apparently but the one I know about is in Bankers Hall, 2nd floor beside Reiko's sushi
Description: Delicious sugar-free chocolates made with maltitol...my favourite is the chocolate cashew toffee one and the haystack (chocolate coconut) and the almond bark is lovely too. Others are chocolate mint, chocolate lemon cream, various nut chocolates, etc.

Morning Sun Health Food - North Hill
Description: Whole psyllium husk Now brand stevia soya pro powder (protein isolate) Bobs Red Mill soy flour (there were 4 or 5 Bobs products) They had soy nuts 3 flavours, but I didn't find them low in carb so I didn't buy any. They also had bars and Atkins shakes, that sort of thing. They are a chain (all over Calgary, one in Airdrie one in Sherwood Park), but I wasn't able to find out if all stores carried these things.

SUPPLEMENTS EH! 403-225-8942
202 12101 Lake Fraser Dr.(Avenida Mall Area)
Description: Low Carb Products for Atkins, The Zone, Body For Life, and many more, including supplements for low carb diets.

Hope this helps! I'm thinking that I'll visit the two stores that sell Atkins products at least (although I'd sure like to find the Lewis chocolates!).

Lynne
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Mar-28-02, 13:46

Plan: Atkins-ish, post-WLS
Stats: 408.0/288.0/168.0 Male 72 inches
BF:
Progress: 50%

Oh....knock it off with the descriptions of chocolate, already. You're starting me on a cravings bout just reading about them - and I'm only partly kidding!

I'm going to try them sooner or later - I just don't know that I can control myself well enough. Thus far I've done real good about avoiding temptation - but avoiding and moderating are two different things.

BTW: Welcome aboard, Lynne. You'll really like it here.
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Mar-28-02, 13:58

BF:
Default LOL

Ah Bill you are funny as well as inspiring! I stay away from the sweets too...even low-carb ones. Not only because I am hypoglycemic but I know myself well enough to only allow a treat VERY ocassionally. Am I missing anything?? Some may say so but I am totally satisfied with the way I eat.
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Mar-28-02, 14:05

BF:

Same here.

I KNOW I would really enjoy a Hershey's bar. I would really love it. But I have reached the point where the only thing more enjoyable than having a Hershey's bar is NOT having a Hershey's bar!

Thin is going to feel DAMN good!
  #9   ^
Old Thu, Mar-28-02, 14:26

BF:
Default Thanks, Wbahn!

Sorry about the cravings!!!! I'm finding this WOE easier when I allow myself a treat once in a while - 1/2 a low carb chocolate bar is perfect. I don't feel deprived that way. What can I say - I'm a chocoholic. I don't get cravings very much but when I do - they must be fed!!!

So I'll be heading to Lewis Chocolates when I get to Calgary - and I'll be buying a year long supply if they're yummy! The awesome part of this WOE is that I can have a single piece of chocolate and put the rest away!

Thanks for the welcome! I'm enjoying the posts!

Lynne
  #10   ^
Old Thu, Mar-28-02, 15:27

BF:

More power to you.

For kicks and giggles, try the following. Take a bite of unsweetened chocolate (like Bakers). Then ask yourself if it is really the chocolate that you are addicted to.

Cheers!