Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > Emotional Issues & Body Image
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, May-04-11, 12:39

Plan: carnivore w/ IF
Stats: 214/000/127 Female 5 feet
BF:plenty
Progress: 246%
Default after all these years, finally...

I have lost a few pounds. I have type I diabetes and I've had doctors tell me they've never seen type I lose weight. So, between that and the fact that I have never been able to lose on Atkins or any other diet, I was pretty sure I was never going to see 200 pounds again, let alone a healthy comfortable weight for me. I'm 5'0" and was pretty sure I was on my way to becoming perfectly round.

So, I have lost a few pounds and that is fantastic! But I am also finding it kind of painful. I'm having these fantasies about what it will be like to have a body that looks and feels normal. Yesterday my son's karate dojo sent home a note saying all parents can take 2 mos of free classes for mother's day/father's day, and I thought, woot! I hope they do this next year when I'm at a better weight to do it.

But then I get so scared this few pounds is just a fluke and I'll plateau at 199 and never get past it. In the first two weeks while I was doing induction, I didn't count any of that weight as real bc it was probably just water, and I thought after the two week mark, I'll believe it's real. And I have lost three pounds since then. But I don't know when I'll be able to feel like it's going to be an ongoing thing.

BTW, it turned out the secret bullet for me was to go down to 6 grams of carb a day -- almost entirely meat and egg with a tiny bit of cheese and some onion mixed in my tuna.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, May-05-11, 18:17

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 243.8/216.0/165 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 35%

You know what I believe the best thing for you to do is: Keep having those visualization of you being healthy and where you want to be. Claim them, believe it, feel the feeling of how good it is going to feel. Don't let doubt creep in. How many stories have you heard where people have proved the doctors wrong time and time again. You can do this! You will do this! You are doing this!

Your body is responding great to very low carb and will continue to do so. It is just melting off of you.

You go girl and don't give up because I won't either.
  #3   ^
Old Thu, May-05-11, 19:17

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 242/161/155 Female 5'6
BF:don't u ask
Progress: 93%

Just have to congratulate you and say keep doing it-you can do this, and you are worth it. I agree with the advice, just continue to picture yourself in your mind.
  #4   ^
Old Fri, May-06-11, 00:02

Thanks you guys! You're right... I think. I had a challenging day today. Woke up with a blood sugar of 33 which is pretty low and I *had* to have some carbs. So, I had 3 of these really yummy cinnamon graham crackers that I've been watching everybody else eat for the last few days. Ugh! I don't feel bad about having eaten them bc there was really no choice, but it was a bummer bc I was really craving crap all day after that. I'm kinda proud of myself for getting through it though. After the cookies I was totally on plan the rest of the day.

I sew a lot. Until I got pregnant with my second, when my first was almost five, I sewed just about every single thing he wore including his underwear. I wish I had time to do that for them both, but time is so hard to come by! But, anyhow, I hadn't sewn anything for myself for four or five years until last night and I made an awesome pair of capris! Even just these few pounds make it a lot more fun to create stuff for myself. I don't think I look a whole lot different but I do feel better. So, I got two more pairs cut out this afternoon!
  #5   ^
Old Fri, May-06-11, 03:05

Plan: Ray Peat (not low-carb)
Stats: 00/00/00 Female 164cm
BF:
Progress: 51%

Hi there!

Congratulations on the weight loss!

Just wanted to ask, though, do you take any magnesium at all?

I have just been reading about how important it is for diabetics - and I shall assume that also means T1 diabetics for the minute - to have good magnesium supplies.

If you go very low carb, you could be missing out on valuable sources of magnesium in your diet and that could cause problems sooner or later.

But if you get some magnesium in your system, then you might find that it also helps your BG control, too.

Let me know if you want more information!

amanda
  #6   ^
Old Fri, May-06-11, 06:17
Counterweight

Plan: VLC/Moderate Protein
Stats: 291/251.4/150 Female 63.25"
BF:72%/62.5%/26%
Progress: 28%

Rather than carbs, why not up your protein. If I understand correctly from reading posts others have shared regarding protein and diabetes, others have to watch their protein intake or their sugars go up. So.... (is there a flaw in my suggestion?)
  #7   ^
Old Fri, May-06-11, 06:18
Counterweight

Plan: VLC/Moderate Protein
Stats: 291/251.4/150 Female 63.25"
BF:72%/62.5%/26%
Progress: 28%

PS: Congratulations on your successes. Every little step is huge when battling a chronic condition.
  #8   ^
Old Sat, May-07-11, 19:09

amandawald, Thanks for pointing that out. I will look into it, and I'll lyk if I need some links. I don't know if it applies to both type I and type II, some things apply to both and some not. They are very different diseases in terms of what is going on to make things go wrong, but very similar in terms of the damage it does to our bodies.

Katoman, Thanks! I'm not sure I understand your suggestion. Are you suggesting more protein? I'm feeling pretty maxed out on protein right now. lol This is what I eat these days: breakfast: meat and dinner: meat. lol I don't have any lunch or snacks at all, just my two big plates o' meat!