Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Local Low-Carbers & Support Groups > Ireland
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Nov-02-03, 12:21

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 249/214/135 Female 5'5
BF:
Progress: 31%
Default Visiting Ireland

Hi,

I am visiting Ireland for nearly two weeks later this month, and wondered if any of you had any suggestions about eating out while in Ireland!

I am really looking foward to the trip, I know we are starting in Galway, and definitely going to Mayo, Donegal and Dublin. My sister/cousins are planning it all, all i have to do is show up!

Thanks in advance.

Ellen
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Nov-03-03, 05:24

Stats: 227/227/200 Female 5 feet 9 inches
BF:Soft and Squishy
Progress: 0%

Hi Ellen!

Welcome and thanks for your question.

I am an American that has been living in Dublin for the past year. I am sure that you will have a super time. Wrap up coz it does get very blustery - no snow but cccccolllddd.

I would bring some splenda with you. It is available here, but somehow I think everyone has jumped on the Atkins bandwagon and it is very hard to find...

One of the things I always used to love about visiting Ireland was the chips (french fries to you and me!) yummy, but sadly not Atkins friendly anymore.

Lots of beautiful fresh seafood all around the country and lovely, grogeous cheeses. If you are in Dublin, stop by Sheridan cheesemongers off of grafton street. They are very nice and generous people and will invite you to taste some of the best Irish cheese around!!

If you are going to take a bit of a "sabbatical" from Atkins because you are on holidays, here are a few good suggestions:

Galway: Good fun at the Quays. They have great live bands upstairs and I guarantee you will have a super time. Most of the resturaunts in that area are pretty good as well.

Dublin: 40 foot Resturaunt in Dún Laoighaire (pronounced Dun Leary) is excellent. Wonderful bar downstairs, amazing food upstairs and the view is pretty cool as well. Pub grub in Dublin - Hairy Lemon on Drury Street or the Clarendon Pub. Nice dining: Bang or the Tea Room at The Clarence Hotel.

Feel free to write me if you need any more ideas. Have a super time!!

K
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Dec-02-03, 07:40

Stats: 249/214/135 Female 5'5
BF:
Progress: 31%

Thanks!

We ended up staying on the West Coast- Kerry, Clare, Galway and Mayo. I did go to the Quays (my cousin who is studying there is a big fan), as well as Skeffington's and Taaffe's, while I was in Galway.

I only went off of Atkins two days- one for soup and brown bread (I had planned on this before I went!) while we were in Westport, and then the night before we left for fish and chips.

I have been travelling for the past month (a conference, then Ireland, then home for Thanksgiving), and still managed to pretty much stay with it and actually lose a few pounds!

Ireland was incredible though! We all want to go back!!

Ellen
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Jun-11-04, 13:59

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 230/223.5/199 Male 71 inches
BF:
Progress: 21%

Ah the memories !
My wife and I visited the West of Ireland in March.
We loved Quays Pub, Skefs Bar and McDonaghs ( Fish and Chips) in Galway
and Matt Molloy's in Westport. I fell in love with the soup and brown bread !
Been trying to make a recipe which would be LC friendly. Any ideas ?
Cheers !
Mark