Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > PCOS
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Apr-06-03, 16:08

Plan: Modified Atkins
Stats: 276/269/125 Female 63.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 5%
Default Anybody here not wanting to have children?

My biggest problem about PCOS has always been, will always be, the obscenely long and heavy periods, whereas most women with PCOS are concerned with trying to concieve.

Is anybody else not trying to get pregnant?

Does anybody know a good support site/board for those NOT trying to get pregnant who have PCOS?

I really, truly do feel for all of you who have been trying to have children, but can't. However, the truth of the matter is that, for me, not being able to get pregnant has been a blessing. I recently got my tubes tied. I'll never have children. And every support site that I've been on seems to have the focus on getting pregnant. It is REALLY frustrating.

Any suggestions?

TIA!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Apr-10-03, 04:42

Plan: carb/calorie cycling
Stats: 187/134/128 Female 1,59m
BF:36%/25%/21%
Progress: 90%

Hi there!

I'm not yet sure whether I have PCOS. Until 2 years ago, I had irregular periods of 35 days and longer (frequently skipping 2-3 a year). Then, 3-4 months into a year of cycletouring things became normal: 29 days.
Never really heavy though.

But my concern was almost entirely sports-related.. I have gained a lot of weight during a period of relative but not gross inactivity and wanted to get rid of it.
My body fat % was very high at 38% and by rigid low-carbing, lotsa weight training AND cardio I still wasn't able to get it done.
Using an EC-stack finally helped push it down to 30% and also by going to a low caloric intake of 1500 kcal in comparison to my caloric expene (2500-3000 kcal).

I've been diagnosed with high testosterone/androsteendion and somewhat higher cortisol levels. No cysts were seen ,but I think that situation was reversed 2 years ago, when periods normalized to 29 days.

Fietser, just wanting to get rid of all that visceral fat and sad about the fact that she was always soooo embarassed about her fat belly! (not married, no wish to have kids)
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Apr-14-03, 13:01

Plan: lower carb
Stats: 360/313.6/150 Female 66.5"
BF:yes, of course
Progress: 22%

I have PCOS and am not trying to get pregnant. Considering I'm only 19 and my boyfriend lives in Oklahoma while I'm in New Jersey, that's probably a good thing lol. The main reason I'm concerned about my PCOS is the vanity issues like excess hair growth. I'm also concerned about future health issues. Both my father and paternal grandmother have/had diabetes. My father also has high blood pressure. I'm trying to prevent those diseases now while I'm still young. My mother also has fibroids and, while I'm not sure it's related to PCOS, I'm guessing I'll probably have them, too. I should probably do some research on it to see what I can do to prevent or lessen the chances of having them. I suspect my mom has PCOS, too, but she's never been tested.
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Apr-14-03, 15:39

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 268/250/150
BF:UK
Progress: 15%

Hi, I am not trying to have children. Already have 2, had them 5 and 12 years ago. It is a good thing that I did, even though I was too young with the first one, because now I would not be able to get pregnant. So, my focus now is not on pregnancy, I have my tubes tied, too, but on wt loss and keeping symptoms at a minimal. I am no avadia, are you on a hypoglycemic? I hear that glucophage might work better, but my MD wants me on this one because it has less side effects on the GI system. I know a man that said he gained wt on avandia, and I wonder if anyone else has had that problem? Have a good evening!
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Apr-22-03, 21:16

Stats: 262/205/180
BF:
Progress: 70%

*big huge hugs*

I know *exactly* what you mean, Misa!!! This has been my problem with a lot of the PCOS-related sites. They are *very* oriented towards baby-making. I have my own opinions about that, but this is neither the time nor the place.

I'm only 21, and I am one of the few women who is *sosure* that I don't want children. It's just not for me ... I went through a preiod when dealing with my infertility was very difficult, but now that it has been about 3 years since I have been diagnosed, I am seeing that there is *so* much that I want to do with my life, and children just don't fit into those equations. Childless and happy, sweetheart.

I haven't found any places on the 'net that are really geared towards women w/PCOS w/out children...hopefully someday ...?
  #6   ^
Old Mon, May-05-03, 23:27

Stats: 245/234/200
BF:don't care!!
Progress: 24%

Same here! I'm 33 and I don't want kiddies, not ever. I do find that a lot of PCOS info is geared towards the child bearing aspect of it all whereas I'm more concerned with the health side and the excess hair! Hate hair. I really LOATHE excess hair. Grr.

Is there any foundation in people telling me that a hysterectomy is one answer? I'm really not too sure about that one...
  #7   ^
Old Wed, May-07-03, 14:51

Stats: 268/250/150
BF:UK
Progress: 15%
Default Hysterectomy

Hysterectomy will not treat PCOS, since the ovaries are not the cause of the symptoms/side effects. Most doctors now belive that is it a pancreatic disorder with some pituitary gland involvement. That is the best I understand about it anyway.
  #8   ^
Old Thu, May-08-03, 00:39

Stats: 245/234/200
BF:don't care!!
Progress: 24%

Thank you! I didn't want my plumbing whipped out for no reason.
  #9   ^
Old Tue, May-13-03, 00:34

Stats: 273/238/154
BF:oh-my-god!/37%/24%
Progress: 29%

When my now ex husband and I discussed children, I opted to practice with cats. So we adopted two six week old long tailed, pointy eared 'boys' as our first 'children'

The cats have turned out lovely, my husband is history, and I decided I *never* want children. I enjoy them when I can give them back to their real Mothers... when I'm tired of playing with them or they have some bodily function I don't want to deal with... it's a good system.

I've got a strong family history of diabetes, heart disease, and obesity. And I've started to show signs of PCOS... which always seems to be the first sign of impending diabetes for the females in the family. I also know I've been insulin resistant for over ten years.

In the family they call it the 'fatal fifties'... those who become diabetic rarely survive to see the age of 60. My Father died of a sudden heart attack at 56, my Uncle at 60 after a quintuple bypass and some months on a transplant list, and my Aunt, the youngest of the three, has started having health problems... she's nearing her 60th birthday. She has shown the outward signs of PCOS for as long as I've known her but I don't know if she was ever diagnosed with it. In my Mother's family it was her Father's line with heart disease... but no known diabetes.

Since I've started Atkins the signs of PCOS have markedly diminished. Since I'm not concerned about conception, and I don't like doctors and pills, I'm going to hope this is the answer and not take further action unless the symptoms come back or change for the worse.

I just hope that at 36 it's not too late, and that I'm making a choice in my life that will see me through the 'fatal fifties'.

That and I really hate facial hair that I don't think belongs there!
  #10   ^
Old Tue, May-20-03, 11:14
Registered Member

Stats: 335/282/150 Female 64 inches
BF:47%
Progress: 29%

I don't want kids either! I am 31, and really wanted children more than life in my 20's, but when I couldn't concieve even on fertility drugs, I gave up, and now I do not have a life that is suitable for children, and I do not seeing it change. I have just been diagnosed with PCOS, and my ob put me on Glucophage xr 2x a day, but spent most of time sick as a dog for the first 4 weeks. I have been on Atkins for well over 6 weeks, and I feel that will correct the problem naturally. I am quite adverse to chemicals in the body, and only take the Pill to prevent babies. I feel your pain-maybe we should start our own board! No offense to everyone out there trying to concieve-I have been there and know how horrible and disappointing it is. Hang in there!
  #11   ^
Old Fri, May-23-03, 11:31
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins (mainly)
Stats: 150/130/123
BF:
Progress: 74%

I'm pretty pragmatic - after failed IVF etc, if it happens it happens if it doesn't it doesn't.....

MY BIG PROBLEM with PCOS is that doctors only seem to want to deal with the fertility part and not the actual disorder....they seem (at least in the UK) to accept that it is a cause for infertility, but are incapable of recognising it as a disorder in itself that requires proactive treatment. Sure, it probably won't kill you, but it sure can make you miserable!

So, self treatment seems to be the only answer for me, the doctors just dont want to know. About a year ago I thought I had really got through to my GP, after inundating him with reams of literature and articles from medical journals etc (nice guy, but he had no clue!) he referred me to a special endocrinology study at one of the 'progressive' hospitals in the area. After waiting 9 months (! not unusual in the UK) I met with the MD doing the study (supposedly) and, guess what - he wanted to put me on fertility treatment. Sigh.

At least we have each other!
  #12   ^
Old Mon, May-26-03, 17:46

Stats: 316/273/180 Female 68 inches
BF:
Progress: 32%

I have PCOS and don't want any more children, my son is almost 16 and my girl is almost 10 and I had a tubal after my daughter was born. I do hope that low carbing lessens the symptoms of PCOS but other than that I am definitely not trying to conceive! LOL
  #13   ^
Old Sat, Aug-07-04, 13:14

Plan: sort of atkins
Stats: 190/189/110 Female 5feet 6 inches
BF:
Progress:
Default Women after my own heart!

My doctor will not do anything for my PCOS (diagnosed this week, although I worked it out for myself months ago!), she said I should see a dietician about being overweight. Great, I will most likely be told that I should not do atkins.

It makes me mad, I don;t want to have children, I like my life the way it is, I just want to stop being fat, hairy and spotty!!!
  #14   ^
Old Mon, Aug-09-04, 06:23

Plan: Low carb
Stats: 224.5/155/135 Female 63 inches
BF:
Progress: 78%

I am 43 and already have 3 grown children - which to my doctors surprise, I didn't have any trouble conceiving. I have had TOM problems (3x or less a year) since I was 13. I just found out about 3 months ago that I have PCOS. My oldest daughter was tested and she also has it. My gyn put me on birth control pills to regulate my TOM but I felt she was only treating the symptom, not the problem itself, so I found another doctor. He put me on glucophage. He wanted me to continue the bc pills for another 2 months, then go off them to see if they would regulate on their own. I have about a week left on the pill, so wish me luck. I have noticed a decrease in the facial hair *yeah* and started losing weight again. I am happy with this plan of attack, and am glad I might be able to get off the bc.....

Punkgill - Find another doctor - I did!!
  #15   ^
Old Wed, Aug-18-04, 15:11

Plan: atkins
Stats: 215/200/135 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 19%

I am another that doesn't want to conceive. I too have children that are 9 years apart. I miscarried twice. I am now 43. I was on bc before I had my last child and then got my tubes tied. I think after having the tubes tied and getting off the birth control that is when all of the signs went in full swing. Major hair loss--weight gain--horrible periods--cysts that would be in one ultrasound then gone the next--high male hormones--little hairs places they shouldn't be--and now high sugar levels. Pisses me off that because I had children no one ever checked for PCOS. I have been complaining for 12 years. The magic cure when you are 43 is HAPPY PILLS--that will give you energy, help you loose weight, grow your hair back, loose the extra hair and give you soft supple skin. Dr.'s are butt faces sometimes when it comes to their female patients. We probably know more about how our bodies are suppose to be than they do.

Last edited by venters : Wed, Aug-18-04 at 15:18.