Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > PCOS
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Jan-29-04, 19:42

Plan: Insulin Resistance
Stats: 175/167/140 Female 64
BF:
Progress:
Post The Insulin-Resistance Diet

[FONT=Comic Sans MS]

I am about to start the insulin-resistance diet and I was wondering if anyone else was following the plan? I am on medication to help regulate my sugar and I was hoping that maybe this would work too. If anyone has tried it before, please let me know what you think about it.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Feb-01-04, 19:03

Plan: Moderate Low Carb
Stats: 288/240/150 Female 5'0''
BF:
Progress: 35%

I'm doing the insulin resistance diet as well. I also have PCOS and am hoping to regulate my periods and minimize other symptoms. I have only been on the diet for a month now and so far am pleased with the results. It offers a lot of variety. I will say that I probably eat more fat than the diet suggests and try to keep my carbs at about 20g per meal instead of the 30g max.

I think it's a great plan.
Christy
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Feb-16-04, 08:05

Plan: My Own
Stats: 240/213/152 Female 66"
BF:
Progress: 31%

I'm doing a diet for my insulin resistance & fibro - but its been set by my nutrionist and I'm losing weight after many years of struggling on the convensional ones like WW etc! I like it as I eat loads and have between 1500 & 2000 cals a day! Its not a strict as Atkins etc though.
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Apr-18-04, 18:55

Plan: Insulin-Resistance
Stats: 173/165/125 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 17%

I am starting the Insulin Resistance Diet. I just got the book this past weekend. I am hoping it will work for me. I was on weight watchers and it wasn't working. I've been following WW since July 5, 2003
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Jun-07-04, 12:10
Registered Member

Plan: Low-Carb for PCOS
Stats: 244/193/170 Female 5' 6"
BF:Going down
Progress: 69%

What is the basic idea behind the insulin resistance diet? Has anyone had experience with IR and low carb? Any comparison? Benefits/drawbacks? I am considering looking into the IR diet... but still not totally clear on what its basic premise is.
Thanks!
LKP
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Jul-26-04, 08:01

Plan: insulin resistance diet
Stats: 265/248/150 Female 5'6 1/2
BF:
Progress: 15%
Default Insulin Resistance Diet

I've been on the insulin resistance diet for a couple of weeks and I really see the benefits of it. I also have PCOS and I was really concerned about the fatigue I would experience after eating a meal. What i did not realize was that I was eating too many carbs and not enough protein to balance it out. Insulin Resistance Diet advocates eating small meals throughout the day to keep your insulin and blood sugar levels normal. Since I have started the diet that fatigue I get after meals and in the afternoon has gone. Weight loss has happened for me but it is slow. I highly recommend this diet, especially if you are fatigued after eating. My energy is slowly coming back. I am also walking about an hour a day and that is helping as well. I really think that the Insulin Resistance Diet would benefit women with PCOS, since I see the changes in myself. It totally is a doable "diet".

Last edited by smartchik : Mon, Jul-26-04 at 08:05. Reason: i forgot to say something.
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Jul-26-04, 08:34

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 244/220/170 Female 65.4inches
BF:
Progress: 32%

About using the FONT SIZE etc. You must close the brackets at the end of the text as well, using /WORD inside [ ]. And the text must touch the first and last bracket set.

[ FONT=book antiqua ] [ SIZE= 4 ] [ COLOR=crimson ] Hello [ /COLOR ] [ /FONT ] [ /SIZE ]
Just take out all the spaces inside and outside the brackets to get
Hello
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Jul-26-04, 12:10

Plan: atkins
Stats: 220/220/135 Female 5ft2
BF:
Progress:

Hello! what is the insulin resistant diet? is like atkins? I have recently discovered I am insulin resistant and my doctor said atkins is a good diet to go on.
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Jul-27-04, 10:16

BF:
Default "What is the Insulin Resistance Diet"

undefined

Hi Marlia,

in response to your question, the insulin resistance diet is a plan that allows you to eat carbs and protein in a way that controls your insulin resisistance Carbs must be eaten with protein so it doesnt cause an insulin spike which would have affect on your insulin resistance, which will make it harder for you to lose weight and easier to gain weight. Carbs are limited, for example at one meal if you have 14 grams of carbs (typically 1/2 cup rice, potatoes, etc) you must have at least 7 grams of protein (1 oz of meat, cheese, etc.) to balance it. You cannot eat more that 2 servings of carbs at one meal and your next serving of carbs must be at least 3 hours later. So typically, you can have breakfast, lunch and dinner with 2 snacks in between that are protein snacks. The insulin resistance diet advocates eating carbs because it is very beneficial, i.e., fiber, antioxidants in some fruits, etc. You must also drink alot of water and moderate exercise is helpful. What I like about this plan is that you can eat almost anything as long as it is balanced. You also can eat as much protein as you like to satisfy your hunger, but remember if you eat too much of anything no matter what it is, you wont lose weight because of the extra calorie consumption. Being on the insulin diet I dont feel lethargic as i used to so I hope it is helping. I hope this information helps you.
  #10   ^
Old Wed, Jul-28-04, 07:41

Plan: atkins
Stats: 220/220/135 Female 5ft2
BF:
Progress:

Hi Smartchik,
Thanks for the information. Where did you get the insulin resistance diet plan at? I would really like to try it. I have done Atkins before but I don't seem to do as well as my sister and we both have pcos and it is so frustrating when you are dieting and on the same diet and they are losing and your not.
  #11   ^
Old Thu, Jul-29-04, 18:42

BF:
Default Where to get the Insulin Resistance Diet

Hi Marlia,

Actually, I borrowed the book from my local library. It should be available in your local bookstore, you can even check out amazon.com which lets you preview some of the book online. I suggest you try the library first, if you can, and check the book out to see if you like it. But if you want to buy it, I totally recommend it. Having PCOS myself, I think that the insulin resistance diet is really on to something and I am giving it a try. The full name of the book is: The Insulin-Resistance Diet : How to Turn Off Your Body's Fat-Making Machine by Cheryle R. Hart M.D and Mary Kay Grossman M.D. I hope this helps. Good Luck!!!!
  #12   ^
Old Tue, Aug-10-04, 15:16

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 290/215.5/126 Female 5ft 3in
BF:
Progress: 45%

Hi All,

I've been on the Insulin Resistance Diet since May. Since March (when I was merely counting calories) I've lost 38 pounds... So, yes - the diet works. Very well in fact. It's not nearly as restrictive as Atkins, but... I have reached a sticking weight of 230 - and I exercise, drink water, etc. The weight hasn't budged in several weeks so I'm trying Atkins Induction now - started today.

I will say this - I love the Insulin Resistance Diet because I never had hunger, my skin looks clearer, and I didn't have sugar highs and lows - no cravings... This diet represents the way all people should strive to eat. It's very sensible and is more of an eating strategy than a 'diet' major four-letter word - DIET.

I checked out the book from the library when my doc told me I had PCOS. It's a great eating plan for PCOS!

Lots of luck!
Ang
  #13   ^
Old Wed, Aug-11-04, 21:14

Plan: Insulin Resistance Diet
Stats: 250/232/175 Female 5'8
BF:
Progress:

Wow! I didn't know there were so many insulin resistant-diet folks on here!
I do the insulin resistant diet. It is just what works best for me - not highly restrictive, I can have things I crave now and then, and it's something I feel I can do in the long run.
However, I do think that weight loss is slower than it is with Atkins. But it does come off, and weight that i've lost with it, i've kept off even when i've drifted away from following the diet.
Good luck!
  #14   ^
Old Wed, Aug-18-04, 10:22

Plan: south beach diet, IR
Stats: 252/230/160 Female 62 inches
BF:
Progress: 24%

Hi Markar,
I thought I was one of very few to have PCOS and IR. I've had PCOS for about 30 years. I'm glad that there is now so much info out there to help us. When first diagnosed I was just told that I didn't ovulate. That was it. So glad to have found this forum.
  #15   ^
Old Wed, Sep-08-04, 13:32

Plan: IR Diet
Stats: 186/125/125 Female 5 feet 3 inches
BF:
Progress:
Arrow I Love Ir Diet! :)

I was diagnosed with PCOS in July 2001 and tried meds and exercise and my testosterone and androgens were still 2 times too high 18 months later. My cholestoral and tryglycerides were still through the roof. I had lost about 25 pounds in that first 18 months, but I was still overweight.

So I decided to try the IR diet in Dec 2003 and it was like a miracle. My periods have been regular, my hormone labs have normalized, and I lost my last 37 pounds. I have been maintaining my weight for the last year, and still link and balance.

It is the smartest plan I have ever read and so doable over the long term.

Good luck!