Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Thyroid Disease
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Feb-14-12, 18:09
Registered Member

Plan: High Fat/Lower Protein
Stats: 142/132/130 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 83%
Default Random Distribution Width????

I just noticed on my blood test results something called:

Random Distribution Width. This has to do with red blood cells apparently. The range is 11.5 to 14.5 and mine was 14.7 (marked as HI) by the lab.

According to Wikipeadia this is BAD but I was unable to sort through the technical talk to figure out why. Anyone else know what this could mean? I only got the print out of this test after I left the doctor's office.

One more thing to worry about????
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Feb-14-12, 18:45
Registered Member

BF:

Holy catfish! just looked that up and WTF?....says alcohol abuse can cause this...can't even remember the last time i had a glass of wine...hope there is another cause. I guess I'll have to ask the blood sucker (I mean the blood lady) on Thursday when I get my blood work done.
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Feb-15-12, 11:35
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

It can indicate a sort of anemia called pernicious. How's your MCV? I was on a type of med for awhile that can deplete folic acid and cause your MCV to increase (B12 or folic acid deficiency can both do that). It seems that RDW is another value pernicious anemia can influence.

Pernicious anemia is sometimes seen in people without the ability to derive B12 from food, they're lacking a certain enzyme. Taking sublingual methylcobalamin B12 is good, maybe a folic acid supplement too. Sublingual bypasses your stomach and it goes directly to your blood supply through the little veins in your mouth.

Oh, just reading a little closer, it might actually indicate iron type of anemia.
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Feb-15-12, 14:10
Registered Member

BF:

Hi NancyLC, gee now that I look, I think MCV is a little high at 91.8 on a scale of 80 to 100. And I take a B12 once, sometimes twice a day. So something is a little off. Or maybe I just better stop looking up stuff on the internet!!!!!!
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Feb-15-12, 15:22
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Folic acid deficiency, too, can affect those.

Quote:
RDW and MCV
It is virtually impossible to discuss the RDW aspect of a blood test without including MCV, or mean corpuscle value. MCV goes hand in hand with red blood cell distribution width (RDW) in terms of anemia and other hematology disorders, and the values of both are influenced by each other. For instance, low MCV levels in combination with normal RDW may point to chronic disease, while low MCV combined with low RDW can denote iron deficiency. In the same respect, a normal MCV reading in combination with normal RDW may represent a chronic disorder, and normal MCV combined with high RDW can signify a B12 deficiency. Chronolab.com also reveals that when MCV levels are high and RDW is normal, pre-leukemia may be present. Both high MCV and high RDW may mean that a patient is experiencing folate deficiency.

What sort of B12 are you taking and how are you taking it?

Read more: What Is RDW on a Blood Test? | eHow.com http://www.ehow.com/about_5314562_r...l#ixzz1mUK30dcs