Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Best Of
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#211   ^
Old Mon, Sep-24-07, 11:17
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 184/176/150 Female 5'7
BF:
Progress:

Post a picture of it!!

Peacoats, button down fitted shirts, straight leg trousers, pencil skirts...these are classics!
Sponsored Links
  #212   ^
Old Mon, Sep-24-07, 12:17

Plan: HF Atkins paleo
Stats: 230/144/150 Female 63 inches
BF:less/than/before
Progress: 108%

I made a fashion discovery: a properly fitted bra takes inches off your waist.

Following in the footsteps of paleo, et al, I spent a few hours yesterday at Macys, trying on bras and a few random other items.

I thought I wore a 38D bra. Then the Macys bra lady got hold of me. It turns out, I need a 34DD or 34DDD, depending on cut. (And let me make a pitch here for Wacoal -- so comfortable.) Suddenly, I look 15 pounds thinner. I have a waist. I've had three of my girlfriends at work today comment that I look really thin today and that my boobs look great.

(I am wearing the same outfit I wore last week, and I weigh the same that I weighed last week. The only difference is the bra.)

I also found in trying various jeans that my 5'2" body actually looks good in low rise boot cut stretch jeans. I always avoided low rise, because I thought it would make me look shorter. And I assumed "stretch" anything would be bad for my figure. But I looked really good in those jeans.
  #213   ^
Old Mon, Sep-24-07, 12:37

Plan: Controlled carbs
Stats: 218/195/150 Female 62"
BF:
Progress: 34%

Quote:
It turns out, I need a 34DD or 34DDD, depending on cut.

wow! How did it fit around your ribcage? In your old size, did the straps keep falling down?
  #214   ^
Old Mon, Sep-24-07, 13:59

In my old bras, the straps would never stay up. And if I got them tight enough to not move, they would dig the crap out of my shoulders.

I had constant back pain, which i attributed to weighta nd big breasts. But I had no idea it would go away with a good fitting bra.

The new bra is more snug around the ribcage, but it doesn't hurt or feel too tight.
  #215   ^
Old Mon, Sep-24-07, 15:24

Plan: Protein Power/Paleo
Stats: 188.5/169.5/145 Female 5 ft. 9 in.
BF:way/too/much!
Progress: 44%

I'm not huge bust-wise (that's an understatement!), but I'll second your Wacoal plug. I heard that's what Oprah wears and I just thought I'd give them a try when I was shopping one time. I love them! I've tried others since then because they're so expensive, but I'd rather have 2 super-$$$ bras than 6 cheaper uncomfortable ones. I haven't been able to find any that fit as well and look as good.
  #216   ^
Old Mon, Sep-24-07, 16:33

Plan: Atkins (DANDR)
Stats: 290/141/130 Female 65.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 93%

Quote:
Originally Posted by faduckeggs
I thought I wore a 38D bra. Then the Macys bra lady got hold of me. It turns out, I need a 34DD or 34DDD, depending on cut.
I read somewhere online that the way most shops measure for a bra by adding 4 or 5 inches to the under-breast measurement to get the bra size is a hangover from the old days when they were made of non-stretch materials, and that we should go by the actual measurement around the chest above the breasts instead.
  #217   ^
Old Mon, Sep-24-07, 20:19
Carolina Girl

Stats: 244.5/131.8/120 Female 5' 4"
BF:
Progress: 91%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elizellen
I read somewhere online that the way most shops measure for a bra by adding 4 or 5 inches to the under-breast measurement to get the bra size is a hangover from the old days when they were made of non-stretch materials, and that we should go by the actual measurement around the chest above the breasts instead.

Quite true actually. Plus, the manufacturers are making bras differently now. Those types of guidelines were for those "foundation" type bras that you wore back in the 50's. Yes, ladies, please use your actual measurements for your ribcage measurement. Also, I think a lot of people get hung up on the size, as if the cup size will be too large or something. But, it's not like you are advertising it, just wear what fits. Unfortunately, a lot of stores don't actually carry the sizes most women wear...they carry sizes that are much larger than most women's ribcages, too small and definitely don't carry large enough cup sizes, so going to a good quality lingerie shop would be a good thing!
  #218   ^
Old Wed, Sep-26-07, 01:01

Plan: lowcarby WW
Stats: 212.6/198.8/191 Female 5 ft 1 inch
BF:
Progress: 64%

Umm, I can't remember where I saw some people talking about recent orders from Chadwick's. But I wanted to say thanks! Apparently you have to be careful about checking their posted sizes - measurements. But I had totally forgotten about them!

They've got some great long wool skirts and some other things that are in fashion now- cheap. And since I'm still losing weight all the time, I don't want to pay much if I can help it.

They have a decent women's section for those of us not a regular 16 yet. Yeahh
  #219   ^
Old Wed, Sep-26-07, 05:13
Registered Member

BF:
Progress:

Chadwick's is great! They have some gorgeous winter coats . I can't wait to buy a new one!! I love wool peacoats in the winter, with a scarf.
  #220   ^
Old Wed, Sep-26-07, 18:56
Carolina Girl

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by HLOKTY
Chadwick's is great! They have some gorgeous winter coats . I can't wait to buy a new one!! I love wool peacoats in the winter, with a scarf.
Oh, I LOVE the peacoat, such a classic. I always have a winter white one and a black one. Although, brown is definitely the IN color for this winter. So, I guess I am going to have to adjust my nearly all black wardrobe !! However, since I am a huge White House Black Market fan too, I am sure the black peacoat will still get plenty of use too.

By the way, I get plenty of use out of a nice trench coat too. Since I live in a warmer climate, it's great for a dressier jacket but lightweight enough. Of course, you want to get one that's not so "old fashioned" looking. I get one with a little shape to it! Don't want to look like a flasher or anything!
  #221   ^
Old Thu, Sep-27-07, 05:48
Registered Member

BF:
Progress:

I love winter white peacoats!! Get a red one! I have a red peacoat, its gorgeous and looks great with black . I need a charcoal gray one this year! I do have a trenchcoat, it should fit me in 15lbs - it is magenta lol! Sounds odd, but its lovely and fitted. I get tons of compliments when I wear it. It's rather bold, but makes me feel happy on a rainy day :P.
  #222   ^
Old Thu, Sep-27-07, 06:34
Carolina Girl

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by HLOKTY
I love winter white peacoats!! Get a red one! I have a red peacoat, its gorgeous and looks great with black . I need a charcoal gray one this year! I do have a trenchcoat, it should fit me in 15lbs - it is magenta lol! Sounds odd, but its lovely and fitted. I get tons of compliments when I wear it. It's rather bold, but makes me feel happy on a rainy day :P.

LOVE THAT! Bold is good! Especially when it comes to jackets. That's something that I think people think should always be so staid and conservative but I think it's that moment to add pop to your wardrobe. It can really add a statement to a wardrobe. If you wear a classic white shirt with some dress black pants and throw on a bold coat, it completely changes the entire outfit. Pair that with a bold necklace and you have changed a rather everyday and simple outfit that could be bought anywhere into a fashion statement. I wish people would understand the importance of accessories better!

Seriously, all women should understand better that your wardrobe can go from basic to fabulous with just the addition of a few and easy elements. Get yourself the basic elements to mix and match and then buy accessories to dress it out. You can then make completely different outfits with those accessories. It's amazing what you can do with them.

Oh, I can go on forever! I am such a fashion lover! Even when I was at my biggest, I always spent plenty of time making sure that I presented myself in my best light. It's not always the easiest thing in the world to find clothes but it can be done and it's just a matter of understanding your body, understanding how clothes can enhance your appearance and the biggest thing of all is how you actually act when you are in those clothes. If you are confident in your clothes, it shows and people can just feel it.
  #223   ^
Old Thu, Sep-27-07, 06:46

Plan: whole foods
Stats: 240/180/140 Female 63 inches
BF:too f'ing much
Progress: 60%

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbel
Quite true actually. Plus, the manufacturers are making bras differently now. Those types of guidelines were for those "foundation" type bras that you wore back in the 50's. Yes, ladies, please use your actual measurements for your ribcage measurement. Also, I think a lot of people get hung up on the size, as if the cup size will be too large or something. But, it's not like you are advertising it, just wear what fits. Unfortunately, a lot of stores don't actually carry the sizes most women wear...they carry sizes that are much larger than most women's ribcages, too small and definitely don't carry large enough cup sizes, so going to a good quality lingerie shop would be a good thing!

Believe it or not, I've always had very good luck with Victoria's Secret bras. Lands' End also has good bras and is a very good bet for plus sizes as well. I'm a 36D and seem to be fortunate in that when I lose weight I don't lose the girls.

I need to get some more color in my wardrobe too--I'm a Lands End/LL Bean devotee but they're not exactly known for color (allthough LL Bean is getting better in that respect).
  #224   ^
Old Thu, Sep-27-07, 06:48

One note about Chadwicks, the sizing is very difficult, especially considering you are ordering and can't try on first.

I just ordered several things from them. I bought size 12P, size L and size M (figuring a few smaller tops would be nice as I continue to lose, I am a 12P almost everywhere right now.) Of the clothes that arrived, one 12P shirt was so tight I can't imagine how much longer until I'll be able to wear it. The buttons don't even meet yet. One 12P top was much too big; I feel like I am in a tent in it. One size L top was still too tight. One fits just fit. And the size M top also fits perfectly right now.

They are all button down dress tops for work. All meant to be somewhat fitted.

This just to say the sizing is very hard to figure for Chadwicks, and you do have to pay shipping both ways if you return.

The only online palce IO know with free shipping both ways (and free overnight shipping to you, is zappos. I LOVE that store.
  #225   ^
Old Thu, Sep-27-07, 19:14
Registered Member

BF:
Progress:

We have a zappos outlet store here!! I need to go check it out this weekend .