Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Sweet treats
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Dec-13-07, 13:12

Plan: Non Specific - Just LC
Stats: 188/163/130 Female 5'4"
BF:46.65%/37.7%/23%
Progress: 43%
Default Peanut Butter Balls

So I've been meaning to try and make some kind of peanut butter balls and I finally did a few nights ago.

I simply mixed equal (ok, I didn't measure, but it looked equal) parts of peanut butter, granulated splenda (I think it needed it for bulk and to thicken it up a bit, otherwise I normally use sweetzfree), and some shredded coconut. Rolled it into balls and then rolled them in the splenda. They tasted very good but needed to be refrigerated to firm them up a bit more.

Some variations I'm thinking of trying are:
- use chunky PB to add some extra crunch
- maybe mix in some other small pieces of nuts like almonds (again to add crunch or change the flavor a bit)
- Roll the PB balls in coconut or some crushed peanuts (or other nuts) or a mixture of nuts/coconut/splenda
- If I'm really adventurous I might freeze the pb balls, then melt a lindt bar and dip the pb balls in it.

Carb count: I don't know - depends on your ingredients, how much you use and what size you make your balls but with Christmas coming I don't care too much - it is just a gosh darn good (and easy) alternative to munching on regular high carb cookies and junk. I'm definately making some to bring with me where ever I go along with some other LC treats.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Dec-13-07, 14:45
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 180/180/150 Female 5ft5inches
BF:
Progress: 0%
Default recipe pbballs

I have a recipe-
1 jr natural pb, (16 oz)
2cups vanilla flavored wheyprotien powder,
sweetener if your whey pwd isn't sweentened already, unsweetened shredded ccnut-
Roll into 1 inch balls
(optional dip in melted sugar free choc bars) You probably could do unsweet baking choc +sweetener but it would have to be tempered.
Anyways it says 3 carbs per ball- and it sounds like you are doing the same thing- except w/o protien powder- so your would be less.

Last edited by Janetbme : Thu, Dec-13-07 at 14:46. Reason: omission
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Jun-22-12, 15:07

Plan: Non Specific - Just LC
Stats: 188/163/130 Female 5'4"
BF:46.65%/37.7%/23%
Progress: 43%

Just thought I'd update on some variations I've made.

- I now mix almond flour in with the peanut butter to thicken it a bit to a better rolling consistency. I don't bother with the Splenda anymore, but if you really want you could add a bit of something to sweeten it up.
- if you chill them and dip it in chocolate coconut bark or drizzle it with coconut bark it tastes really good. Even better if you sprinkle some unsweetened shredded coconut on top of the chocolate before it solidifies.
- If you want to add a Rice Krispies like crunch you can add a bit of textured vegetable protein to it (TVP) without affecting the flavor. It's made of soy but I don't worry about it much since I vary rarely eat anything with soy and only make these as a treat to bring as a treat to other people's homes on special occasions. (Saves me from eating really bad carby foods.)
- Sometimes I mix unsweetened shredded coconut into the peanut butter mix for added texture and flavor.
- i mixed some cocoa powder into the almond flour and then combined it with the peanut butter. It tasted alright but I think it needed a bit of sweetener added to really make a nice flavor.

Also, I've tried adding protein powder a few times but we've never liked the texture or consistency in our mouths, but that could be just a personal preference thing.
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Jun-22-12, 18:03
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

I wonder if peanut flour would work. I bet it would!
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Jun-22-12, 18:40

Plan: south beach
Stats: 168/168/125 Female 4'11
BF:
Progress: 0%

sure making me hungry