Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Sweet treats
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Nov-24-00, 16:43
Forum Founder

Plan: LC paleo
Stats: 241/188/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 52%
Lightbulb

SIGH - I suppose there is no way to create a truly lowcarb fruitcake, but I have adapted a recipe from 'The Allergy Self-Help Cookbook' by Marjorie Hurt-Jones, that is deliciously moist, rich and dense as good fruitcake should be. There is no added sugar, just the natural sweetness from the dried fruit and juice; this is a good recipe also if you want to make a gift for diabetic friends or family. It keeps well; and like traditional fruitcake, responds to being brushed with a little brandy before wrapping tightly and "aging" for a week or two.

For a small slice, of plain, uniced traditional fruitcake, 1/32 of a 9"x5" loaf size would be 28 total carbs, and 1 gm fiber. My version is 12.5 total carbs and 1.8 gm fiber per piece - less than half. It's nice to be able to enjoy traditional treats without totally blowing your lowcarb efforts.

This recipe makes 1 large 9"x5" loaf-cake. I usually double it and bake in small 5"x3" disposable loaf pans; it will make 5, so I get to keep one for me and have 4 to give as gifts!!

DOREEN'S CHRISTMAS FRUITCAKE

1 can unsweetened crushed pineapple (you won't use it all)
1/2 cup pitted dried prunes, coarsely chopped
1/2 cup dried papaya, coarsely chopped
1/2 cup golden raisins
1/2 cup dried currants
1/2 cup coarsely chopped fresh cranberries
1 cup oat flour (whirl oatmeal flakes in blender till finely ground)
1/4 cup lowfat soy flour
1/4 cup vital wheat gluten (75%-80% protein)
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp cinammon
1/4 tsp each ground cloves and nutmeg
2 large eggs
1/3 cup canola oil
1/3 cup unsalted butter, softened
1 cup coarsely chopped nuts - walnuts, filberts, brazils, or mixture
==================================================

- preheat oven to 350 F. Have a 9"x5" loaf pan greased and ready.
- measure out 1/2 cup of crushed pineapple, firmly packed to press out all of juice; set aside. Drain as much juice as possible from the pineapple into measuring cup; add water to bring up to 3/4 cup total. Pour juice into a medium saucepan.
- add the 1/2 cup drained pineapple, prunes, papaya, raisins and currants to the saucepan. Bring the mixture to a boil, then immediately turn off the heat, cover the pan and let stand until cooled.
- in a large mixing bowl, blend the oat flour, soy flour, vital wheat gluten, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, cloves and nutmeg.
- in a small bowl, cream softened butter with oil until smooth; add eggs one at a time, beating well after each until smooth and creamy.
- add the flour mixture and the cooled fruit mixture to the eggs in small amounts, alternating, until combined, but do not overmix. The batter will be thick. Quickly stir in nuts.
- carefully spread batter in prepared pan, try not to create air spaces.
- bake for 50 minutes or until the surface is browned and a thin crack appears in the top. (or till tester inserted comes out clean) *NOTE* - if making smaller loaves, reduce baking time to 35 to 45 minutes.
- allow to cool in pan for 15 minutes, then turn out onto rack to finish cooling.
- when completely cooled, brush with dry brandy or cognac before wrapping tightly in plastic then in foil. Age for one week at room temp. or 2 weeks in the fridge.

*HINT* - for perfect slices, freeze the cake for 2 hrs before slicing, then let slices come up to room temp for serving.

- 399.6 total carbs minus 57.2 gm fiber for the whole cake
- cut into 32 pieces (16 x 2) is 12.5 carbs minus 1.8 fiber per piece
- cut into 24 pieces (12 x 2) is 16.7 carbs minus 2.4 fiber per piece

***NOTES*** (added Sunday, Nov.26)

The cake has no added sweetener, which is a personal preference. However, I realize some folks do expect a sweeter taste. So, here are a few suggestions:

- add the sweetening to the batter, not the fruit
- Splenda should work just fine, I'm guessing at 1/2 cup of the granular (= 12 packets). You might want more. Just remember to adjust the carb count accordingly - this amount is 12 carb grams. Beat the Splenda into the butter and eggs before adding fruit and dry ingredients.
- SugarTwin is also fine to use in baking. Again, 1/2 cup of the granular or 12 packets; the carb count would be less though - 6 grams total.
- for 0 carbs, I imagine liquid Sugar Twin would work. Again, add it to the batter, it should blend in with the butter and eggs just fine. 2 Tbsp will give equivalent sweetness to 1/2 cup sugar.
- I don't use stevia a lot; I find the slight "anise" flavour a bit too assertive. BUT, this is Christmas cake after all; could prove to be a happy marriage!! I have no idea of the measurement though, the stevia I have doesn't give equivalent on the label.

Happy baking, Doreen

[Edited by doreen T on 26-11-00 at 09:50]
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Nov-25-00, 13:03
Forum Founder

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: -/-/- Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

That is a great looking recipe Doreen! You should post it in the recipe section so we will have for future reference.

Interested in flying out with a few fruitcakes for our potluck?

Karen
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Nov-26-00, 09:06
Forum Founder

Plan: LC paleo
Stats: 241/188/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 52%
Talking

Quote:
Originally posted by Karen
Interested in flying out with a few fruitcakes for our potluck?

Karen

I had to read that a few times. At first I thought it said *Interested in flying out to see us fruitcakes at our potluck??*

Being a square peg, I see that I would fit right in just dandy! However, as my private jet is in for repairs right now, I'll just have to be with you in spirit only - (but I will be wishing you all lots of laughter, no indigestion and a big WHOOSH the next day).

Doreen

p.s. - I added a footnote to the Christmas cake recipe about adding sweeteners.