Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Best Of
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#196   ^
Old Fri, Mar-09-07, 11:36

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 163/157.8/130 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 16%

My biggest mistake the first time was quitting

Blowing things out of proportion and watching the scale too much. I know that if I take my focus away from my 'failures' and focus on my success... I will exploit the successes both in my mind and in the physical.

Nuts... gotta stay away from those.

Not enough veggies and fiber.

I still haven't quit caffeine.

NOT ENOUGH WATER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Sponsored Links
  #197   ^
Old Fri, Mar-09-07, 13:49

Plan: PSMF
Stats: 160/145/125 Female 5'7.75"
BF:15.6%
Progress: 43%

hhhmmm...
I was thinking about going out with the girls tonight, and i know vodka has no carbs... Am i safe, or am i about to risk a Low Carb Newbie Mistake? I'm on day 5 of induction...
  #198   ^
Old Fri, Mar-09-07, 14:15
Beautiful Disaster

Plan: tbl/common sense
Stats: 380/341/299 Female 6'0"
BF:so i've been told
Progress: 48%

your body will burn alcohol instead of fat if alcohol is present...while it's not the best thing you can do, if you stick with a diet soda, you shouldn't re-gain..but you may stall for a day or so
  #199   ^
Old Fri, Mar-09-07, 16:09

Plan: PSMF
Stats: 160/145/125 Female 5'7.75"
BF:15.6%
Progress: 43%

Thanks for the info Muse!
  #200   ^
Old Sat, May-17-08, 17:35

Stats: 295/230/150 Female 5 ft. 7 in.
BF:
Progress: 45%

I am new to low carb and this site has helped me alot. Thanks.
  #201   ^
Old Sat, Aug-09-08, 12:32

Stats: 202/197/164 Female 5 ft 6 in
BF:
Progress:
Default Hi Karen and everybody!

Honest to God, I am going to publish my phone number. xxx-xxx-xxxx (*removed by mods*) (east coast time). I am so up and down, impatient and frustrated, that if any of you oldsters would kindly call, I would gladly call you right back, so you don't have to incur the charges.

Like someone who wrote up there, I am impatiently weighing myself 3 and 4 times a day. Yes. Okay, I'll stop. Got it. I will TRY to weigh myself once a day and stop. Maybe even once a week. I am just an impatient girl.

I have been emailing the blog at Atkins, and I truly don't think they know the answer (and boy am I tired of typing the questions to people). Has anyone found some kind of ratio between carbs/protein/fats that works? I have this feeling that therein lies the efficacy, if I may use that term.

Also, any reference books you want to recommend? I am investigating the metabolism of carbs vs the metabolism (meaning internal processing) of fats vs the met. of protein. I think there is something to is. I emailed the nutritionist at Atkins regarding ketones as a secondary process and she answered the question without using a verb--as in IS IT or ISN'T IT? No matter. I called one of my doctors who knows me, and I'll get to the bottom of this.

I'd just rather benefit from all of your knowledge. Your forum is filled with more "sages"! Kudos! Oops, that's a candy bar. Blessings!

I am trying to do this trial and error, as was posted to me on their blog, and it is frustrating. I DO keep my carbs to <=20 grams. I HAVE curtailed my intake of cheese to 1-2 oz daily. The rest is 2T-3T with my coffee, and now I have my coffee with food so it doesn't produce a glucose response. I only have 2 cups in the morning, and now that I understand it better, I only have my coffee with eggs and/or protein.

Some days, like yesterday for lunch, I ate 1/2 a steak (isn't it COOL-I wasn't HUNGRY enough to eat the whole thing, when I was eating carbs, I could have eaten the whole thing and a side of pasta!)--as a science experiment. 3 hours later, FINALLY, I got my pee to color the stick purple! Woo Hoo! I think it is because I ate NOTHING with the steak, just the steak! I just want to understand this/the chemistry better.

Karen, I swear I would fly out there to talk to you (and eat at the restaurant of course) if you told me you would give me an hour of your time!

You guys, I am an "achiever" and very smart (not trying to impress, just telling you that I "shouldn't have to struggle" like this ha ha). I have researched lots of diets, and I have decided that for me (I have PCOS), the answer has to be low carb. I do not crave sweets, I was never a "sugar" person, but my former favorite food was pasta.

I haven't cheated at all at all at all. I usually eat
some kind of eggs or an omlette in the morning (with coffee)
some kind of chicken salad or meat with about 4 romaine leaves for lunch
and more meat (I want to learn sauces too) with maybe a couple of stalks of celery for supper. I do have fats and mayo. I eat almost nothing processed--just pepperoni. Oh yeah, that turned the stick purple too!

So please, take pity on me and call!

Thanks so much--I'm going through all your tips and pointers now Karen. I really want to learn, I really want to do this. (In my HEAD, it's done already).

Oh yeah, P.S. one of the big reasons I'm doing this is the Harvard Study they finished up in Isreal--I saw Bob Bozell on NBC report this w/Brian Williams? You can read the full article in the NEJM July 16 issue. In the study, the low carb people lost more weight, kept it off, lower cholesterol, lower BP, the whole bit--more than a Mediterranean diet (calorie stricted) and a low fat diet (also calorie constricted).

I'm tired of typing.
Thanks!
Diane

Last edited by Kristine : Sun, Aug-10-08 at 06:48. Reason: Be safe - don't post phone numbers! The day after your 25th post, you will be able to access the PM system and you may communicate privately with individual members.
  #202   ^
Old Wed, Aug-27-08, 15:26

Stats: 175/127/120 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 87%

I just wanted to thank everyone who posted on this ancient thread.

I just had a total meltdown after realizing I burned through an entire case of diet rootbeer, 2 bags of pork rinds eaten with butter, splenda and cinnamon & 8 ounces of cream cheese with davinces syrup since YESTERDAY. That is in addition to my "regular" meals. "Regular!" HA!

I thought my trigger foods were carb related, but obviously they are also sweet related. Giving up the carbs has helped carb related cravings, but what's left is just as insane.

I also thought if I kept my carbs in check I could eat whatever I wanted. I'm still waiting for my atkins book to arrive in the mail. In the mean time I'm going to keep looking at threads & trying to eat low carb "normally," whatever that means.

Hello my name is Carley & I am a total freakish food addict & overeater. Help me.
  #203   ^
Old Thu, Sep-04-08, 17:22
fabulously me

Plan: just lowest carbs poss
Stats: 242/242/130 Female 5ft 8
BF:
Progress: 0%

eating a tonne of zero carb cola bottles
  #204   ^
Old Sat, Sep-06-08, 22:42
Faux-foods=Doh!Foods

Plan: Low Carb
Stats: 216/180/154 Female 168cm
BF:
Progress: 58%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diane47
Honest to God, I am going to publish my phone number. xxx-xxx-xxxx (*removed by mods*) (east coast time). I am so up and down, impatient and frustrated, that if any of you oldsters would kindly call, I would gladly call you right back, so you don't have to incur the charges.

Hi Diane,

Do you keep a Journal or Blog anywhere?

Even if your phone number wasn't removed (I agree it's unsafe to have it listed), I couldn't call because I'm across the other side of the world, but I'm always happy to keep in touch with anyone that wants the contact. I love that too - bit isolated round here sometimes.

Let me know

Erika
  #205   ^
Old Mon, Sep-08-08, 22:00

Plan: LC/carnivore 6/26/23
Stats: 200/194/137 Female 5 feet 6.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 10%

I guess the biggest LC mistake is to think that nuts are a low carb food. I can be doing amazingly well on my plan and nuts be it salted, unsalted or even the all natural nut butters - without fail, I will abuse them and of course end up feeling terrible (like I'm hung over) an hour later.

I would advise anyone who is new or old to low carbing to stay away from nuts (especially salted ones).

------------------------------
I'm agree with something Carley said too - sometimes I like to eat scrambled eggs with cinnamon and splenda but too much splenda and I will also get cravings from that or I would have eaten less food had I not used the splenda.
-----------------------------------------------
the last time I had zero cravings I think my most popular and successful lunch was hard boiled eggs and laughing cow cheese wedges. I know - can you believe that? (I figured I'd end this post on a positive note, which is good cause that can hopefully correct any "mistakes" I have made.

Hugs to all!
love
Entropy
  #206   ^
Old Thu, Dec-04-08, 15:11

Plan: LCHF, IF
Stats: 265/205/135 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 46%

Bump! Great thread.

My biggest mistake is too much salt, like I'm trying to use the taste of salt to replace the taste of sugar.

Not enough variety. I'm afraid to try anything sweet, so it's veggies and cheese and meat. Which means too much cheese.

I was vegetarian until this. Is all meat really so naturally salty?

Meg
  #207   ^
Old Fri, Dec-05-08, 00:28

Plan: Lower Carb
Stats: 271.7/219.7/219 Female 65.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 99%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melesana
Bump! Great thread.

My biggest mistake is too much salt, like I'm trying to use the taste of salt to replace the taste of sugar.

Not enough variety. I'm afraid to try anything sweet, so it's veggies and cheese and meat. Which means too much cheese.

I was vegetarian until this. Is all meat really so naturally salty?

Meg

I don't think so... what are you eating specifically? Natural meats are not salty, but processed meats (lunchmeat, bacon, etc.) are.
  #208   ^
Old Mon, Feb-02-09, 16:19

Plan: atkins modified
Stats: 225/162/160 Female 5'9
BF:
Progress: 97%

I just came across this thread, and after reading the entire thing, I'm bumping it.

So much good information in here for us newbs.
  #209   ^
Old Tue, Feb-03-09, 18:38

Plan: LC/IF
Stats: 180/173.8/150 Female 5'9"
BF:Not sure
Progress: 21%

Here's one for me - thinking I can drink low carb beer on the weekends and still lose weight. Just doesn't work for me - it stalls weight loss and triggers cravings for carby foods. BAD idea!
  #210   ^
Old Sat, Feb-07-09, 13:44

Plan: LC since 1/15/09
Stats: 317/278/217 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 39%
Default I wish this was sticky

One of my problems is remembering to read lables. I got good at avoiding fat for the last decade. But, avoiding carbs is a different thing altogether. I didn't know how many carbs were in grapefruit for example, I would have never even looked it up if it wasn't for this forum. I found out there is potato starch in shredded mozzerella cheese, it isn't a problem for me, but when I saw it I was like uh oh that might trigger really sensitive people. I had no idea that spaghetti sauce had so much sugar in it. I am not freaking out over having used it on my low carb pizzas, but it was something I became aware of and I switched to sugar free tomato sauce, I like it just as much and I still feel like I am eating pizza. I know someday, I will look back my early new WOE days and think, how did I eat so much junk?

Sometimes I read about a newbie mistake and I think dude/dudette, you are being wayyyyyyyyyy too hard on yourself. Ha, maybe that is a newbie mistake, being to hard on yourself.