Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > South Beach Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Nov-22-19, 19:59

Plan: Low Carb/High Fat
Stats: 271/262.6/170 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 8%
Question Questions about the new 'supercharged' SBD guidenlines

I have seen a few articles online talking about how the SBD has been revised in the past few years. I was listening to an audio copy of the new supercharged book, but it didn't seem any different. It mentioned eating small servings of legumes and limiting dairy in phase 1.

But the articles I've seen state that now we are not allowed legumes in phase 1, and we are also allowed 2 cups of FULL FAT dairy. I'm legally blind, so I don't have a hard copy of the book, only the audio version, and I'm confused. I can't just flip to chapters in the audio book, like one can do in the hard copy.

Can anyone clarify for me, please?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Nov-22-19, 20:09

BF:

Okay, so, FWIW, here is some info I found about the updated version and I'm going to post these new guidelines here for us. I still have to find out just how MUCH of each thing we are allowed, or not allowed to eat. But so far, here is what I'm reading:

DAIRY:

Encouraging full-fat dairy (milk, yogurt). The new South Beach Diet continues to focus on including the majority of dietary fats in the diet from heart-healthy unsaturated fats, found in foods like avocados, nuts, and olives. However, when it comes to fats found in dairy foods, like milk and Greek yogurt, full-fat versions are now encouraged over lower fat varieties.

LEGUMES:

Exclude beans and legumes from South Beach Diet Phase 1. While beans and legumes provide vitamins, minerals, and fiber, they are also higher in carbohydrates. The new South Beach Diet is designed to deliver fast weight loss in South Beach Diet Phase 1. Lower carbohydrate diets have been associated with faster weight loss. In order to reduce the carbohydrate content of South Beach Diet Phase 1, higher carbohydrate foods once allowed, like beans and legumes, have been eliminated.

PHASE DURATION:

Phase 1 has been shortened from two weeks to one week in order to avoid a lengthy period of time without consuming high-quality carbs like whole grains, fruits, starchy vegetables and beans, which are added back into the diet plan in Phase 2.

EXERCISE:

The new Supercharged plan also includes 20 minutes of a specific type of exercise called ‘interval training’ that Dr. Agatston claims will speed up metabolism, increase the rate of weight loss and improve general health.

He states that interval training allows dieters to achieve maximum results with a minimum time commitment. In this he is correct – research continues to show benefits from this kind of training.

Simply put, interval training is physical training consisting of alternating periods of high and low-intensity activity.
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Dec-03-19, 14:50

Plan: Southbeach diet
Stats: 425/202/160 Female 65
BF:
Progress: 84%

Hi molly! Thank you for the update. I just bought the supercharged book. Haven't sat down to read it. Seems it might be a Good idea now as things as definitely changed
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Dec-04-19, 12:59

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by maral427
Hi molly! Thank you for the update. I just bought the supercharged book. Haven't sat down to read it. Seems it might be a Good idea now as things as definitely changed

I heard there is also supposed to be some kind of SBD Keto book coming out soon too! :-D I'm excited to read it. I wonder how they will make the SBD WOE change into keto? Which is pretty much the path I'm on. I started back on SBD, but ate NO legumes or anything like that now for 2 weeks, just meat, veggies, cheese, butter, cream, so I've pretty much just gone keto. But I'm excited for the new book release. Hope we won't be disappointed.

Glad you are here with us, mara!
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Dec-04-19, 16:03

Plan: atkins, carnivore 2023
Stats: 200/211/163 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: -30%

Hi Molly, while I cannot speak to the new SBD rules, what I can suggest is this: do what works for you.

Many eliminate dairy completely. As our bodies cannot handle it anymore.

I eat far less cheese now. And try to stick to Euppean cheeses.

Hope you find the answer.