Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Jul-07-23, 02:23

Plan: Muscle Centric
Stats: 238/153/160 Female 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 109%
Default Eating red meat and cheese does not increase the chance of an early death

Quote:
Why eating red meat and cheese may not be as bad as you thought

The odd steak or slice of gouda is unlikely to lower your life expectancy, says landmark report, with 'profound implications for diets'

Eating red meat and cheese does not increase the chance of an early death, according to a landmark study.

The findings come after widespread claims by nutritionists that meat and dairy products increase the risk of heart attacks and harm long-term health.

But a global study involving almost 150,000 people, the first of its kind, found the healthiest diet can include red meat and whole fats from animal sources.

People consuming a well-balanced range of foods, which also include vegetables, legumes, fruit and fish, were found to be 30 per cent less likely to die during the 10-year period covered by the Prospective Urban Rural Epidemiology (Pure) study than those on a poor diet.

They were also 18 per cent less likely to suffer from cardiovascular disease and 19 per cent less at risk of a stroke.

The study covered more than 20 countries and the findings hold true internationally, the scientists said.

Dr Andrew Mente, study lead author from McMaster University in Canada, said the results “have profound implications for diets globally”.

“It indicates that the biggest gains in avoiding premature cardiovascular disease and deaths globally is expected to occur by increasing the intake of healthy foods to a moderate degree,” he said.

“On this basis, current advice to restrict dairy, especially whole fat dairy, to very low amounts in populations globally is not necessary or appropriate.”

The study found that the ideal daily diet includes a person’s five-a-day of fruit or vegetables, half a portion (48 grams) of legumes, such as peas or lentils, 28 grams of nuts, a similar amount of fish, two servings (185 grams) of dairy, half a serving (55 grams) of red meat and 22 grams of poultry.

Overall, said Dr Mente, the Pure diet allows a moderate amount of animal foods, for example one cup of milk or yoghurt or three ounces of cooked red or white meat daily.

Dr Mente believes that the issue of cardiovascular disease and early mortality in society may not be due to overindulgence of meat, dairy or saturated fats but actually under-nutrition caused by people not eating enough key food groups.

He believes there is now evidence to suggest that dairy foods, especially whole-fat dairy, may be protective against hypertension and metabolic syndrome which are common drivers of cardiovascular disease.

The study, published in the European Heart Journal, scored a person’s diet on a scale of one to zero for six different categories, creating a perfect score of six, and the closer to zero a person was, the worse their diet ranked.

The average mark was 2.95, and the people above five, the top 20 per cent, were 30 per cent less likely to suffer an early death than those in the bottom quintile of less than one.

Data show that the people with the worst diets in the study, scoring less than one point overall, actually had the lowest level of saturated fat intake. Avoiding saturated fats is a central tenet of many modern diets yet those with the smallest amount in their daily food were the least healthy, the study found.

“[This] strongly suggests that current targeted dietary guidance limiting the consumption of saturated fat and dairy in many populations of the world may not be warranted,” Dr Mente said.

“The Pure diet is similar to several other common diet patterns like the Mediterranean diet which emphasises increased fruit, vegetables, legumes, nuts, and fish, with some differences in their focus on different types of fats and the consumption of dairy.

“Our findings show that a similar dietary pattern, but which also includes dairy foods - consumed mostly as whole fat dairy - may have the most favourable associations with health outcomes in a global population.”

A recent special issue of a scientific journal brought together dozens of food experts who concluded that meat is crucial for human health and they called for an end to the “zealotry” pushing vegetarian and vegan diets.

The NHS says “meat is a good source of protein, vitamins and minerals” and advises people to not consume more than 70g of red or processed meat a day.

A study conducted last year found that increasing consumption of legumes, nuts and whole grains in line with a Mediterranean diet could extend a man’s lifespan by 13 years if they adopted it at aged 20, and a woman’s lifespan by 11 years.

However, it also found that lowering red meat intake would increase life expectancy by almost two years. The new study challenges these findings.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/20...dy-diet-global/

Quote:
The Prospective Urban Rural Epidemiology (PURE) study: examining the impact of societal influences on chronic noncommunicable diseases in low-, middle-, and high-income countries

Abstract

Background:
Marked changes in the prevalence of noncommunicable diseases such as obesity, diabetes, and cardiovascular disease have occurred in developed and developing countries in recent decades. The overarching aim of the study is to examine the relationship of societal influences on human lifestyle behaviors, cardiovascular risk factors, and incidence of chronic noncommunicable diseases.

Methods: The Prospective Urban Rural Epidemiology (PURE) study is a large-scale epidemiological study that plans to recruit approximately 140,000 individuals residing in >600 communities in 17 low-, middle-, and high-income countries around the world. Individual data collection includes medical history, lifestyle behaviors (physical activity and dietary profile), blood collection and storage for biochemistry and future genetic analysis, electrocardiogram, and anthropometric measures. In addition, detailed information is being collected with respect to 4 environmental domains of interest-the built environment, nutrition and associated food policy, psychosocial/socioeconomic factors, and tobacco environment. A minimum follow-up of 10 years is currently planned.

Results: This report describes the design, justification, and methodology of the PURE study. The PURE study has been recruiting since 2002 and has enrolled 139,506 individuals by March 31, 2009.

Conclusions: The PURE study builds on the work and experience gained through conduct of the INTERHEART study. Its design and extensive data collection are geared toward addressing major questions on causation and development of the underlying determinants of cardiovascular disease in populations at varying stages of epidemiologic transition.

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/19540385/
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Jul-07-23, 06:18

Plan: atkins, carnivore 2023
Stats: 225/224/163 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 2%

Wish they listed the specific criteria for the 5 categories, and how the info was collected. Daily dairies? Or once a year recollections?

I love my beef 😋 and not giving it up. As for cheese, I eat a lot less as its a growth type food, and try to get European cheeses as its without antibiotic contamination and likely grass fed.
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Jul-07-23, 09:34

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/130/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 129%

I love my Irish cheddar! I also favor European cheese, and also good deli -- which is nothing like BAD deli. Meat, seafood, and dairy is 90% of what I eat now.

It's ridiculous to regard the food we ate for millions of years as something we can improve upon with money and test tubes.

They've created a wildly profitable addictive substance that's legal. That people think is food. That's right out of science fiction. So that makes sense.

So far, the best book I've read on our awful food landscape is Ultra-Processed People. Just came out. Connected with a BBC documentary.

This one goes into how these lab products substitute for food in ways that fool and seduce a person's taste buds, but are not anything we are evolutionarily adapted to eat.

Metabolic derangement from confusing our body with these not-quite-right chemicals. And unlike some of the others I have tried, it's a lively and informative read, even with all the tech talk.

As the book opens, he eats a "healthy diet." Black coffee in the morning, sandwich with chips and soda for lunch, with chicken, veg, and rice a common dinner. But also common is take out or a frozen lasagna.

He also admits to a dessert after dinner. Usually. Except for that, I couldn't really argue with him. That is what I used to think was "normal."

I also used to think it was food.

But he was surprised at the amount of UPF in his family diet. I'm only 36% in, but he's ready to start a diet typical of the lower economic half of the British public, which is notably less "healthy." Which contains 80% UPF.

Three days in, and he says his blood feels like glue and he can't seem to fully wake up.