Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Sweet treats
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Fri, Sep-28-12, 16:44

Plan: VLC, Paleo
Stats: 243/228.4/135 Female 5ft 2 inches
BF:way too much!!!
Progress: 14%

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobiam
I got inspired to try some home made ice cream the other day. I used 1/3 cup frozen blackberries, 1 cup HWC, and 3 packets of stevia with erythritol.

I just poured the cream over the black berries and then stirred in the sweetener. It started to thicken up almost immediately. I put it in the freezer for an hour or so, stirring it a couple of times. It got to be the consistency of a milk shake before I broke down and ate it.

10.7 net carbs according to my count. 4 in the berries and 6.7 in the cream.

sweet.......

isn't that cool? it does thicken up fast! According to the strawberries I used, they have 13 carbs and 10 fiber per cup, so 6.5 carb/5 fiber/

so, 1.5 Net Carbs per 1/2 cup serving
(I also weigh the strawberries on a scale, instead of by volume. 70 grams per half cup)
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Fri, Sep-28-12, 16:48

Quote:
just curious about the carb count. according to my information HWC would be 3.4 carbs per 1/2 cup, and 1/2 cup of strawberries would be 8 carbs.

Hello again

I use Country Fresh brand of HWC, which has 0 carbs per serving. The only carbs are from the strawberries(see above) and splenda (1 gram per packet)
  #18   ^
Old Sat, Oct-06-12, 08:06

Plan: NANY
Stats: 503/405/175 Male 72 inches
BF:plenty :)
Progress: 30%

Quote:
Originally Posted by juliaca201
Hello again

I use Country Fresh brand of HWC, which has 0 carbs per serving. The only carbs are from the strawberries(see above) and splenda (1 gram per packet)

I think that is just what is on the label. I think the real carb content is not zero.

When the serving size is very small, it is easy to get low enough that they are allowed to label it as zero carbs. Since dairy products are regulated by the USDA, it is likely this brand is very similar in carb content to all other brands.

According to the USDA a TBSP of HWC is 0.42 gr of carbs, or 6.64 g per cup.

The USDA claims frozen strawberries are 13.6 carbs per cup (149 g) with 3.1 gr of fiber so net of 10.5 g per cup. I wonder how it is that the strawberries you are using are so radically different.

Last edited by bobiam : Sat, Oct-06-12 at 08:14.
  #19   ^
Old Sat, Oct-06-12, 08:33

Plan: My own
Stats: 250/161.4/130 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 74%

Has anyone tried Poly-D in ice cream per Dr. Eades blog?

http://www.proteinpower.com/drmd_bl...se-all-the-day/
  #20   ^
Old Sat, Oct-06-12, 16:37

Quote:
I think that is just what is on the label. I think the real carb content is not zero.

When the serving size is very small, it is easy to get low enough that they are allowed to label it as zero carbs. Since dairy products are regulated by the USDA, it is likely this brand is very similar in carb content to all other brands.

According to the USDA a TBSP of HWC is 0.42 gr of carbs, or 6.64 g per cup.

The USDA claims frozen strawberries are 13.6 carbs per cup (149 g) with 3.1 gr of fiber so net of 10.5 g per cup. I wonder how it is that the strawberries you are using are so radically different.

Hi bobiam. I've often wondered about the HWC, since the serving is per Tablespoon, it may have been negligible. Now I will count 3.5 carbs (per half cup of HWC)

I also checked the strawberries in my freezer and was saddened to find out that I wrote down the carbs/fiber wrong!!! They do have 13 carbs, 5 fiber, which is 10 net carbs, per cup.

I am sad about this, b/c now my ice cream has 8.5 net carbs per 1/2 cup (which is 3.5 from the HWC and 5 from the strawberries)

Thankfully, this isn't an everyday indulgence!
{And I humbly apologize to everyone for my foolish error }
  #21   ^
Old Thu, Oct-11-12, 05:17

Plan: NANY
Stats: 503/405/175 Male 72 inches
BF:plenty :)
Progress: 30%

It is still not a bad lowish carb treat.
  #22   ^
Old Thu, Oct-11-12, 18:35

Quote:
It is still not a bad lowish carb treat.

agree...it's still a good 'treat' (but not every day) and health, natural one at that
  #23   ^
Old Fri, Nov-16-12, 09:10

Plan: EF/Fung IDM/keto
Stats: 375/225.4/175 Female 66.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 75%

This looks great to try. I adore ice cream but I've always hated fruit-flavored ice cream, so the fruit recipes don't appeal to me in the slightest, but this basic recipe does. I just have to run out and buy some vodka! Of course I also have to wait for the new paddle to arrive for my Cuisinart art cream maker, to replace the one my dog chewed up.
  #24   ^
Old Thu, Feb-14-13, 22:26

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 275/270/140 Female 68"
BF:
Progress:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karla
After years of experimentation, I have finally come up with what my DH and I consider the perfect recipe. I tried adding xanthan gum to stabilize the ice cream and avoid ice crystals, but I never succeeded in making ice cream that did not turn rock hard in the freezer. Then I found Ben and Jerry's ice cream book, added my own twist to the basic recipe and now my ice cream is indescribably rich and creamy and does not turn into a glacier in the freezer, even after a week!
Note: you will need an ice cream maker for this.

The ingredients for the base for a quart of ice cream are:

2 eggs
1 cup light cream
2 cups heavy cream
1 tsp xanthan gum
1/4 cup vodka (or bourbon, rum, etc.)
the equivalent of 3/4 cup of sugar - I use pure liquid sucralose, to cut the carbs as low as possible

Beat the eggs with the sweetener until they are light in color and thicken a bit.

Heat the light cream to simmer, pour it slowly into the eggs while beating.

Pour back into the pan, add the xanthan gum and heat, stirring or whisking constantly over low heat until it thickens a bit. Do not allow to boil or you will wind up with scrambled eggs. You can heat it to a higher temperature if you want to make sure the eggs are cooked enough.

When you are done cooking, pour the mixture through a sieve into a large bowl. Allow to cool a bit, then stash in the refrigerator until it is good and cold: I usually let it stay overnight.

When you are ready to make the ice cream, add the heavy cream and the vodka to the base, stir well, pour into the ice cream maker, and churn away.

When the ice cream is done, I store it in 1/2 cup servings in small containers for convenience, and the ice cream never becomes so hard that you can't eat it right from the freezer - in the past I have had to soften it in the microwave before a spoon would make a even a dent in it.

The total number of carb grams in the base is 23.2, which makes each of the eight 1/2 cup servings 2.9 grams each.

Of course, you can add whatever you want to the base - for vanilla you could add 2 tsp of vanilla, which wouldn't change the carb count. I made Mocha by adding 4 tsp unsweetened cocoa and 2 T freeze dried coffee, which was soooo delicious and had a total of 26.2 grams of carbs or just under 3.3 grams per serving. That what I call a low carb dessert!

The last bit of the puzzle was that most ice cream recipes call for 2 cups milk and 1 cup heavy cream, while Ben and Jerry's has 1 cup of milk and 2 cups of heavy cream. Of course, being a good low carber, I used light cream instead of the milk, but the point is that it is the higher fat content, when combined with the xanthan gum and the vodka that makes a really creamy ice cream that does not develop ice crystals or become too hard.

I may not have invented the light bulb, but I was really excited the first time I made this!

Hi Karla,

Thanks for sharing this recipe! Did you use Heavy Whipping Cream or Heavy Cream? Is there another name for "light cream" or could you tell me what the % of fat is in it? Having trouble finding an equivalent in the stores here in MN. I know it exists. . . Thanks!
  #25   ^
Old Mon, Apr-08-13, 21:21

Plan: Atkins 2002
Stats: 215/138/128 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 89%

Just bought an ice-cream maker and was looking for a good recipe to try. I'll let you know how mine turns out. Thanks for sharing!
  #26   ^
Old Sun, Jun-08-14, 19:23

Stats: 250/203/190 Male 6'
BF:
Progress:
Default Great recipe

It's a great recipe...but quick question...how much of the base is supposed to be left after it is strained through the sieve? I made the first part of it, and ran it through a sieve before letting it cool. After adding the xantham gum and thickening it a bit, it seems to have left behind about 1/2 cup of "stuff" in the sieve. Does that sound about right? Not sure what I was expecting, but it seems like this may not make a full quart by the time it's done.
  #27   ^
Old Mon, Jun-09-14, 09:33

Stats: 240/205/145 Female 5' 9-1/2"
BF:
Progress: 37%

Well, when I was making ice cream three days ago, I asked myself the same question and decided to try something different. Instead of adding the xanthan gum to the pan, I added it to the eggs while I was beating them. I waited until the eggs became foamy, then sprinkled the xanthan gum over the surface, with the mixer going. Then I finished just as in the original recipe.

Lo and behold, there was less "stuff" left in the sieve, especially after I pushed it through with a spatula. And the best part was that the resulting ice cream was not as hard. Rereading what I wrote before, I don't know why I said it was soft enough to eat right from the freezer, because I did have to either let it sit out or microwave it a bit, although nowhere near as long as previous versions. After this change it takes even less time to soften into incredibly rich and creamy ice cream. And it did make a little over a full quart.

I just realized that I never answered Kalatraza's question about cream. Heavy cream contains at least 36 to 38 percent fat. This is the cream I use in this recipe. Going down the scale, whipping cream contains an average of 33 percent fat. Light whipping cream has around 30 percent fat, light cream has around 20 to 22 percent, and half and half has around 12 percent.

In New England, where I live, the grocery stores sell all of those, and light cream is what we use in coffee and what I use in ice cream. However, after spending winters in Florida and Arizona, I discovered that they had not idea what light cream is.

So I came up with a formula to figure out how much fat is needed in this recipe and what to use to reach that. Since two cups of heavy cream contain about 6 ounces of fat (24 oz * .38) and 8 ounces of light cream contains 1.6 ounces of fat (8 * .2), my recipe contains about 8 ounces of fat (mmmmm).

So if you use all whipping cream you will come out with the same fat content as my ice cream has - 24 ounces * .33 = 7.92 ounces.

Hope this helps.
  #28   ^
Old Mon, Jun-09-14, 09:43

Stats: 250/203/190 Male 6'
BF:
Progress:

Thanks Karla....that makes sense, though I am certainly going to forge ahead and see how it comes out this time, then make the change you recommended next time.

I also need to keep in mind that the ice cream maker, as part of the churning process, will add air to the mixture, which of course adds volume to the ice cream...so I am sure I'll wind up with something close to a quart.

Have you ever made a chocolate version of this ice cream? If so, any recommendations on how much cocoa to use for a plain chocolate ice cream?

Thanks again...