Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Bread & Baked Goods
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Sun, Jun-20-04, 17:37

Plan: Atkins-ish, post-WLS
Stats: 408.0/288.0/168.0 Male 72 inches
BF:
Progress: 50%

Could you post (or direct me to) the entire recipe for the entire pie? I'm not much of a baker but I can usually get edible results with a good recipe to guide me. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Mon, Jul-19-04, 20:42

Plan: modified LC carb cycling
Stats: 182/148/125 Female 5"6
BF:
Progress: 60%
Default pie

Hi

I honestly can't remember how I made that pie now. What I would do is look for a recipe for regular pumpkin chiffon pie and modify it.

It's likely got unflavored gelatin, whip cream, pumpkin, splenda in it, and a couple of eggs.

Sorry I can't be more helpful. It's been a while since I made that.

Maggie
  #18   ^
Old Sat, Oct-09-04, 10:04

Plan: Atkins, PP, SB
Stats: 179/125.6/120 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 91%
Unhappy CarbSense Pie Crust?

I've tried the CarbSense pie crust but not the bake mix. It was just ok in my book. Has anyone tried the pie crust as well??? Is the baking mix better? I didn't add anything, I just made it as per the directions. I am longing for a good pie crust!
  #19   ^
Old Sat, Oct-09-04, 14:01

Plan: atkins/pesco-veggie
Stats: 115/115/115 Female 64.5"
BF:
Progress: 50%

yeah i tried the pie crust...it had to be baked at a lower temperature than the directions said and also for at least 15 min longer...that's always been my experience with low carb baking though.
  #20   ^
Old Sun, Oct-17-04, 20:44

Plan: Atkins - Modified
Stats: 330/330/280 Female 5'6
BF:
Progress: 0%

I use minicarb bake mix. The box is 1.98 at wal-mart, but sometimes $1, as the same ingredients as carb sense but is like 1/5 the price.

As for the shortening, don't see the problem with shortening. Did anybody really fret over transfats until atkins made a big deal about it? Don't think they have anything at all to do with low carbing.
  #21   ^
Old Mon, Oct-18-04, 08:37

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 231/172/175 Male 70 inches
BF:30%/19%/17%
Progress: 105%

Quote:
Originally Posted by astrocreep

As for the shortening, don't see the problem with shortening. Did anybody really fret over transfats until atkins made a big deal about it? Don't think they have anything at all to do with low carbing.

You best prepare for some nasty responses to that statement....

I will keep it simple, transfats does bad things to your cholesterol and cardiovascular heath. It probably has no impact on weight loss, but it does on your health. The worse part is that people substitued this for Sat fat, leading to the mistaken belief that "FAT" was bad for you.

I avoid it where possible, althought I agree that is difficult. I don't avoid a product just because it has a few trans fats, but I try to avoid using Shortening and use lard or butter instead.

Brobin
  #22   ^
Old Mon, Oct-18-04, 09:04

Plan: Low carb
Stats: 224.5/155/135 Female 63 inches
BF:
Progress: 78%

Ok, where does one get Wheat Protein Isolate?
  #23   ^
Old Tue, Oct-26-04, 13:36
Registered Member

Plan: My Own
Stats: 280/118/117.5 Female 5ft 5.25 in
BF:
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by alaskaman
Maggie, thanks for posting that. Can hardly wait to try it. regarding crisco alternatives, butter has been suggested, one could use lard also, some swear by it, its what everybody used to use before trans-fats came in and everybody started getting heart trouble. Bill

Yes, I hear lard is superior to that waxy fake fat at making food flaky and puffy, anyway. Today everyone uses shortening for foods that are flaky like biscuts and pie crusts but they used to use lard, which is far more healthful.
  #24   ^
Old Tue, Oct-26-04, 13:39
Registered Member

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by alaskaman
Oh, Maggie, P.S., about rolling it, when I make fragile doughs, I roll it between 2 pieces of wax paper, then peel off the top one, flip the rolled-out dough into the pan, with the wax paper on top, you know, and then peel off the wax paper. Usually works pretty well. Cheers, Bill

You could also try chilling the dough for a little bit before rolling. If the fats are cold, they are much more firm and do a better job keeping the dough together.

Also, if you are going to use butter over shortening, it's very important to chill the pie dish before cooking to get a superior flaky consistency. See the reason shortening and lard works better than butter is because they have a higher melting point. By chilling the butter, you raise it's melting point, allowing it to better distribute so as to get that puffy/flaky texture.
  #25   ^
Old Tue, Oct-26-04, 13:46
Registered Member

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by astrocreep
I use minicarb bake mix. The box is 1.98 at wal-mart, but sometimes $1, as the same ingredients as carb sense but is like 1/5 the price.

They might not interrupt weight loss, but they are extremely unhealthy. It's rare in nutrition, but the fact that transfat is not good for you is the one thing everyone agrees on.

Transfat is a fatty acid with a totally unnatural structure. Seeing as the human body uses fatty acids to build tissues, you can imagine the implications of this. Transfat has been linked to all sorts of health problems including metabolic syndrome. Ironically, the recommendation to eat more starch, sugar, and trans fat over total fat and saturated fat might be one of the reasons people are fatter today than they were in the past.

Personally, I don't fret over every smidgen of trans fat in my diet. I'm not going to stop eating mission tortillas simply because shortening is way down in the ingredient list, for example. However when it comes to something like a large quantity of crisco - a food item positively teeming with transfat, when more healthful alternatives are available (butter, lard, both of which are superior tasting)... I don't see how or why anyone would choose to cook with it.
  #26   ^
Old Mon, Nov-22-04, 00:05

BF:

I doubt oil would work in this recipe. Butter, lard, shortening, margarine or another type of solidified fat is DEFINETLY best. It would be...for lack of a better word...wierd with oil, LoL.
  #27   ^
Old Mon, Nov-22-04, 00:10

BF:

ItsTheWoo, Sometimes it's not always about how something may be better for you, it's about what you and your family can afford. Butter, where I live, is EXTREMELY expensive, margaine and shortening aren't. Plain and simple.
  #28   ^
Old Fri, Jan-07-05, 11:19
Midas in reverse

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 260/231/165 Male 75 inches
BF:~31%/~26%/<17%
Progress: 31%

There's a fairly new margarine out, can't remember the name, comes in yellow with green lettering tub, that uses palm oil instead of "partially hydrogenated vegetable oil" to solidify it. It is a bit more expensive than ordinary margarine, but not near as much as butter. It doesn't get quite as soft though, even at room temperature. It also tastes good, rather like Saffola.
  #29   ^
Old Fri, Jan-07-05, 15:02
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Transfat isn't just an Atkins phenomenom. Several countries have banned them now and the US is introducing rules to have warning labels on foods that have them.