Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > Emotional Issues & Body Image
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#106   ^
Old Thu, Sep-30-04, 11:17

Plan: *Atkins*
Stats: 120/120/105 Female 5ft
BF:?
Progress: 0%
Default GuM?

Is it wrong to chew gum..orbit gum w/ 1 carb???
Sponsored Links
  #107   ^
Old Thu, Sep-30-04, 11:26

Plan: Atkins-maintwhilepregnant
Stats: 201//135 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress: 67%

It's fine, just don't chew gum instead of eating your meals.
  #108   ^
Old Thu, Sep-30-04, 11:37
Forum Moderator

Plan: Primal/P:E
Stats: 171/145/145 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 100%

I would be negligent in my duties as a forum moderator if I didn't say this:

Stop dieting.

You are already within the healthy weight range for you height.

If you think you have an eating disorder, you probably do. If you are a dieting addict, you must give up the addiction. If you can't afford professional help, at least go directly to maintenance, do not pass go, do not collect $200. You have Atkins For Life; that's perfect.
  #109   ^
Old Thu, Sep-30-04, 19:27

Plan: *Atkins*
Stats: 120/120/105 Female 5ft
BF:?
Progress: 0%
Unhappy =(

WhY??...i ate all of my 3 meals today and i feel like a HUGE FAT COW!?...is this normal?...someone respond to me please?....
  #110   ^
Old Thu, Sep-30-04, 19:35

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 155/108/110 Female 64 inches
BF:33%/25%/22%
Progress: 104%

Luvley,

You feel like a huge fat cow because you are not used to eating normally. You also may be retaining water along with some of the food--this is temporary

This, too, shall pass. Give it time. Be patient.
  #111   ^
Old Fri, Oct-01-04, 07:01

Plan: Semi-LC/Alt. Day Fasting
Stats: 229/221/150 Female 5'8"
BF:Goal is 22%
Progress: 10%

Luvley,

You may feel overfull because you haven't been eating regularly. Be patient, keep eating your regular meals, and in a few days, it will respond more positively. Build up amounts slowly. Eat until you are satiated, not stuffed.

If the fat cow thing is something you think you see in the mirror (an emotional response), then try to keep that in mind too, and fight it with logic.

You can't turn into a fat cow with three small meals in only one day.

Also, I know this is a hard leap for you to follow... you are speaking to women who have lost quite a bit of weight, and started with obese stats. Your weight of 115 and complaining of being a fat cow is somewhat insensitive to the women like myself who had to wear tight size 20s (and up), and still have over 50 lbs to lose in order to be where you are NOW. We have developed patience when we didn't want to, and we try not to diminish ourselves with negative talk, but we have actually BEEN fat cows. Try to remember we ALL fight negative self images, and fight problems with food, and that you are way ahead of the game. I would trade places with you in a minute.

Vicky

Last edited by VickySail : Fri, Oct-01-04 at 07:08.
  #112   ^
Old Fri, Oct-01-04, 07:13
PuertoRican Princess

Stats: 299/236/135 Female 5'3
BF:
Progress: 38%

Quote:
Originally Posted by VickySail
Luvley,

You may feel overfull because you haven't been eating regularly. Be patient, keep eating your regular meals, and in a few days, it will respond more positively. Build up amounts slowly. Eat until you are satiated, not stuffed.

If the fat cow thing is something you think you see in the mirror (an emotional response), then try to keep that in mind too, and fight it with logic.

You can't turn into a fat cow with three small meals in only one day.

Also, I know this is a hard leap for you to follow... you are speaking to women who have lost quite a bit of weight, and started with obese stats. Your weight of 115 and complaining of being a fat cow is somewhat insensitive to the women like myself who had to wear tight size 20s (and up), and still have over 50 lbs to lose in order to be where you are NOW. We have developed patience when we didn't want to, and we try not to diminish ourselves with negative talk, but we have actually BEEN fat cows. Try to remember we ALL fight negative self images, and fight problems with food, and that you are way ahead of the game. I would trade places with you in a minute.

Vicky

I second that.
  #113   ^
Old Fri, Oct-01-04, 15:34

Stats: 172.0/166/145 Female 5 feet 3inches
BF:
Progress: 22%

What happened to Luvley? I keep checking in to check on how
she is doing,.......hope to hear from you again soon Luvley!
  #114   ^
Old Fri, Oct-01-04, 15:48
Registered Member

Plan: carb cycle
Stats: 113/109/? Female 61 inches
BF:/~15%/11%
Progress: 38%

Quote:
Originally Posted by VickySail

Please don't take this the wrong way, but I think it's unfair to minimize someone else's struggle with body image, food obsession, and severe eating disorder just because they were never obese. Saying "I'd trade places with you in a minute" really isn't being supportive or sensitive to that person's own emotional struggle.
  #115   ^
Old Fri, Oct-01-04, 16:05
Registered Member

Plan: ATKINS DIET
Stats: 123/122.5/110 Female 5 something
BF:
Progress: 4%

what does CKD .. means?
  #116   ^
Old Fri, Oct-01-04, 16:06

Plan: ProteinPowerLifePlan w/IF
Stats: 166/143/135 Female 62.5
BF:
Progress: 74%

Quote:
Originally Posted by amyella
Please don't take this the wrong way, but I think it's unfair to minimize someone else's struggle with body image, food obsession, and severe eating disorder just because they were never obese. Saying "I'd trade places with you in a minute" really isn't being supportive or sensitive to that person's own emotional struggle.

Forget about not being supportive or sensitive...

I'd take my OWN body (baby fat and all) than trade it for a 110 pound body with an eating disorder ANY DAY.
I can't tell you how painful it is to watch someone with an eating disorder...and I can't imagine it's any better BEING the person.

No thanks. Give me fat and a healthy attitude / emotions ANY DAY!
-- Loretta
  #117   ^
Old Fri, Oct-01-04, 16:09

Vicky, I don't think you were insensitive or unfair--your comment was gently put and reasonable.

That said, I myself wouldn't want to trade places with Luvley--nor with anyone else who has such severe body-image problems (have enough of my own, thank you), no matter what her weight. I have been her weight, I have weighed much less...and I wasn't necessarily happy. There's so much more to life (and happiness) than weight.

So while her complaints of feeling like a "fat cow" were insensitive, they were also a cry from her own tortured soul...she is only 19, and confused, and trapped in an eating disorder into which she seems to have little insight. I feel for her, and I hope she finds help and gets well soon. Any unhappy person deserves sympathy and concern--no matter what her weight--in that particular I certainly agree with you, amyella.

Lucy

EDIT: Ipioch, you posted while I was typing this. Your posting was much more concise....had I read yours first, I would have had only to say, Hear, hear!
  #118   ^
Old Fri, Oct-01-04, 16:13

ps. Amyella, are you really shooting for 10% bodyfat? That is not reasonable or healthy for a woman.
  #119   ^
Old Fri, Oct-01-04, 16:27

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

Quote:
Originally Posted by hifive
ps. Amyella, are you really shooting for 10% bodyfat? That is not reasonable or healthy for a woman.

I'll second that, hifive. For most women, menstruation stops when body fat drops below 13 or 14%. This is a good thing since at that body fat percent, there isn't sufficient to support the increased demands of a pregnancy.
  #120   ^
Old Fri, Oct-01-04, 16:30
Give chance a chance

Plan: General LC maintenance
Stats: 152.6/115.6/115 Female 60 inches
BF:28%
Progress: 98%

Driving home from some errands this afternoon, I passed a couple of women walking down the highway. The younger one of them, probably in her late teens, was clearly anorexic. Skin and bones. The older one, maybe in her mid 30's, could easily stand to lose over a 100 pounds, and I'm not being unfairly judgmental in that remark.

I was reminded of reading this thread last night.

I found myself wondering: Are they mother and daughter? Is the younger one starving herself because she doesn't want to look like the older one? And if they are related, and live in the same house, what will supper be tonight? If it's cornbread and pinto beans and Twinkies for dessert, will binging and purging be involved?

It's just a sad state of affairs that we have reached the point where so many of us have severe eating disorders.....on both sides of the weight continuum.

I wish you well, Luvely, and hope you can get the help you need to find a healthy and sensible way of eating.

Kay